back to article Microsoft racks up best quarter since 1999

Microsoft made revenues of $13.76bn in the three months ended 30 September 2007, an increase of 27 per cent on the same period last year. Net income was $4.29bn, up from $3.48bn in the same three months of 2006. The company credited good consumer sales of Vista and sales of Halo for its success. Chief finance officer Chris …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Pollard

In your face ads

I can't read articles when ads appear over the top. This is a horrible trend and The Register should know better.

2. Alex

Halo is...

...a joke I don't get!

the emperor has no clothes!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay well now I am confused

Which quarter are they reporting every other news story says it's the first quarter and since MS counts preordering as a sale it matters in as much as oem sales are new computers which I already knew had a good quarter (seagate already sold more than it had estimated for the whole year). Just curious.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@John Pollard

Psst.. Firefox + adblock = a nice ad free internet just like when you were in short trousers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spend a week with Vista...

and you'll find it's quite good. I've even got used to UAC asking me about everything. Occasionally it gets a bit much, but happens rarely, and I assume it will be fixed at the start of the year with SP1. I've not heard anyone who's a regular home user complaining about it (except petty annoyances like not understanding the network dialogs on first look, or getting annoyed with UAC, or zip files - I use WinRAR anyway).

It's too easy to knock Vista, just as it was too easy to knock XP when it first came out, give it a go and you might find it's decent. Although, I'm going to start developing on it at the weekend, see how it holds up, so I don't know how restrictive it is, but everything seems to follow Windows coding standards so...

6. James Le Cuirot
    Gates Horns

Since 1999? You mean someone actually bought ME?

It looks like MS makes the most money when they make the worst operating systems!

7. James Le Cuirot
    Dead Vulture

Actually...

My dates are a little off. But just like El Reg, I'm not one to let the facts get in the way of a good joke. Or a bad joke, for that matter. I think this should be another Reg Rule.

8. John Stag
    Jobs Horns

They increased taxes...

a) Vista costs a fortune, Vista is almost mandatory on all new PCs.

b) All the people who really wanted XP were forced to buy a premium version of Vista so they could upgrade.

9. The Sceptic
    Joke

Surprise surprise.....

El Reg flying the Microsoft flag yet again - highlighting their propaganda campaign. How disappointing. I think El Reg should start declaring sponsored stories, be up front and honest - just as you preach others do.

I noticed there was no differentiation between new pc sales with Vista included - in fact the El Reg article couldn't have been more vague, XP sales are still going well - wonder if this is due to customers purchasing for their new pc which came with Vista. I've used Vista quite extensively and have to say its right up there with Norton Utilities for really draining the life out of a machine. Works well initially but grinds the workstation to a halt over time (just like XP only worse).

The ads thrown in your face by El Reg are annoying - just switch to Mozilla and they are blocked in a click (I do appreciate the site has running costs).

Anyway - When will El Reg start declaring their sponsored stories?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous

I also find modifying the hosts file works even better... And works with IE.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

11. Tom

@ Coward

"It's too easy to knock Vista, just as it was too easy to knock XP when it first came out"

True, because they both suck. I took a couple years before XP was any good (worth upgrading from 2000) and I expect it will be the same for Vista. I don't see much new in SP1, it seems like something they are rushing out for all the companies that said they were going to wait for a service pack... maybe they should call it Marketing Pack 1 :)

12. Abdul Omar
    Thumb Up

Like I've been saying

Vista is the future here today.

But don't take my word for it.

Just look at the sales figures.

Apart from a few diehard Linosx fanboys and a rabble of attention whoring journalists everyone loves it.

It's either board the Vista express or join the retardo depress.

13. Butch Kaniecki
    Flame

@abdul

Man - if this is the future, I'm going to start stockpiling cyanide. The general rule in dealing with MS O/S upgrades (if you can call them that) is to wait about 2 years for it to reach a fair level of stability, usability, and supportability.

The prime reason I had interest in Vista was for the new file system. When it was dropped, and the upgrade centered around some eye candy and 10 year late security changes which require vastly more hardware to get a reasonable user experience out of - that was enough for me.

Dealing with MS is a necessary evil, and I for one, do not choose to partake in the kool-aid party (anti-freeze?) until the mindless sheep marching into the desert's mortality rate has dropped to acceptable levels.

Vista is indeed the unfortunate future, but I prefer slow poison (XP) versus suicide - at least for now.

14. Tom
    Thumb Down

@Abdul

"Vista is the future here today.

But don't take my word for it.

Just look at the sales figures."

Ok,

"Sales figures for boxed copies of windows Vista are significantly lagging behind those of the predecessing operating system. According to a report by market analysts, NPD, Vista units sold have declined 59.7 per cent compared with XP, during each products first six months on shelves. Revenue is also down by 41.5 per cent."

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/28708/Vista-sales-lag-behind-XP

That's for people who want Vista, not people who are stuck with it when they buy a computer at Best Buy etc.

- Early XP sales were not that great.

- A large number of the Vista Business sales reported are for new computers that are upgraded to XP SP2 the second they are out of the box.

15. Futaihikage

I have a funny feeling that....

It seems like those figures are from the Xbox 360 (thank Bungie and Halo 3) and the revenue that XP is still bringing in. Even if some of that profit is from Vista, its probably due to the fact that OEMs are practically forced to have their computers tainted with another version of Windows.

16. Juhani Vehvilainen
    Happy

Abdul

Guys, guys, you seem to have missed Abdul's true message, hidden behind wit so dry you could (insert a metaphor here). Abdul, you're a genius! I hope to see more of your comments in the future.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Read between the lines

@Abdul: The future may be here today in terms of the operating system, just a shame the hardware won't be up to it for another couple of years!

The true meaning behind this story is: release a new operating system, force all your suppliers to (buy and) pre-load it, then sit back and wait for the poor punters to discover the pile of <insert expletive>, who then have to by XP to get something that they're used to that works... 1PC=2licence sales

And don't you think it strange that you can still get unopened copies of NT4, but 3 months after M$ stopped supplying it, you can't get (legit versions of) Office 2003?

Ubuntu + OpenOffice.org, here I come!!!

Now, the real question we should all be asking ourselves is: what has Paris Hilton got to say about it?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Paris Hilton...

...started reading, but she saw your so very clever dollar sign placement and lost track...

M$ is so last decade... get over it... its MSFT:-)

19. Martin Owens

More strong arms

You mean to say that Microsoft made good money from strong arming the OEM's once again and creating an awful racket with their god forsaken software offerings that normal people are too stupid to avoid like the plague?

Extortion was never such a good business.

This topic is closed for new posts.