back to article Retired joint chiefs chairman dons a Red Hat

What do you get when you cross a Red Hat with a Green Beret? I don't know, but the commercial Linux and Java application server markets are about to find out. Retired General Henry Hugh Shelton — a native Tarheel born in Tarboro, North Carolina, and a former commander of the 82nd Airborne Division based in Fort Bragg — was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark McNeill
    Linux

Subtractive mixing?

I for one welcome our new brown-hatted overlord. Doesn't sound right, somehow.

1. Captain DaFt
      Coat

Butter'em up!

On a monitor, red and green make blue...

He's being hired to run (monitor) the company...

So you can welcome their new, blue bonneted overlord!

Running for the exit, forget the coat!

1. Daniel 1

What sort of monitor is that?

John Logie Baird was wrong all along, then?

2. M Gale

Additive mixing fail

Red and green make yellow.

Though I double dare you to call him that to his face.

2. mhenriday
    Thumb Down

Next in line -

Richard Bruce Cheny ? Presumably Red Hat wants to join Microsoft at sucking at the teat of the military-industrial-legislator-lobbyist complex, but do they have to make it so obvious ?...

Henri

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Government needs Open Source

Hopefully you are right!! It would be refreshing to have a Linux lobbyist with a military background... The military and Government in general respond when one of their own supports something... or perhaps nothing will come of it... But it is an encouraging sign that the behemoth Redmond licensing mill (the US Government) has high level supporters of Open Source software...

3. Herby

Maybe he can convince

The military that Linux is a good (superior) alternative to anything from Redmond. Yes, Sir!

4. hugo tyson
    Coat

Tar Heel?

When I went to NC and saw all the cigarette advertising, I assumed Tar Heel was a hideous smoking-related disease....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Where is Smedley Butler when...

he is needed? Weoponized Linux, anyone? We expect nothing but integrity from a former Joint Chiefs Chair, the most politicised job in the US government.

The last victorious assualt by the 82nd lads was upon NOLA after the Katrina debacle where they successfully disarmed an old woman or two of antique pistols and herded the Hottentots out, ala the 1927 prototypical pattern.

God bless Amerika. And, of course, CentOS

1. mhenriday
      Linux

Anonymous Coward, they just don't make them like Smedly Butler

any more - no one in high position in the military now tells the truth about their organisations when they retire. Instead they go on to cushy jobs with one contractor or another. Dwight David Eisenhower's warning about the military-industrial complex hasn't lost any of its actuality during the 47 years that have passed since then....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like