back to article Migrating Access to SQL made (almost) easy

Access dominates the PC platform and, over the years, has been used to create vast numbers of departmental databases. In their turn, many of these have slowly become mission critical and now need to be upgraded to a secure client-server engine. In Microsoft's grand plan for world domination, it would prefer that engine to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon

I can complain if it's free

Microsoft had better get it's act into gear. Every Access to SQL Server migration tool I've used has had serious limitations, and can handle only small systems at best.

I have used a tool supplied by Oracle to migrate an Access back end, and it worked brilliantly. It didn't require a GIG of memory, or .NET 2, only a java runtime (which most everyone will have).

I have a large system with 150+ tables and around 2000 constraints to migrate. I won't use a tool that I can't trust or isn't up to the job.

And yes, I can complain about something that's free; if it isn't up to the job it claims to do it's -worse- than useless, it robs me of my time better spent using a working methodology.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why am I not surprised...?

Given the usual quality of Microsoft software (i.e. appalling), why is anyone surprised by this?

As usual, the code has been shoved out to the users partly-finished and with no real quality control - it's really helpful that Mark has gone to the trouble of reviewing this software - but one seriously has to ask oneself: why can the amassed intellect of the mighty Microsoft Corporation not find these sort of ridiculous goofs when a professional like Mark can?

The answer, of course, is that (a) they didn't bother; (b) the alleged "intellect" isn't really present in Microsoft in any discernible quantity; (c) they don't care whether or not it's a reliable, quality product; or (d) all of the above.

Roll on version 1.1!!

3. Francis Fish

Finally Microsoft catch up with Oracle

I was demoing Oracle's migration product that does exactly the same thing (without the dumb bits) the best part of 10 years ago. The access app quite happily now talking to an Oracle back end.

I never realised that Microsoft didn't do this themselves!

Probably easier to migrate to Oracle and back again. At least it can sort out the types properly.

If memory serves Oracle's tool is also free.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Migrating to Postgresql is easier!

It's relatively easy to migrate the backend to Postgresql.

* Link to PG over ODBC.

* Export all tables to PG.

* Rename original tables to something like table1_old.

* Create links to the tables on PG.

That's the main bit done - now to fix a couple of issues.

* Change a couple of settings in the ODBC driver. 'Bools as char' was set to false. 'True is -1' was set to true.

* Create a couple of functions to handle Bools.

see instructions at http://community.seattleserver.com/viewtopic.php?p=8&sid=3add118a6924da03531fcbbbcc2c3ca8)

* Make sure all Boolean fields have a default value cos Access expects that.

And ... errrr... that's it.

And considering the bodge-up MS have made of the simple part of the data migration there is no way I'd consider it capable of converting the normal hodge-podge of forms, queries, macros, VBA, etc etc etc that makes up the usual Access 'application'.

Just allow the user to continue with their Access front-ends whilst you build/convert functions using something else.

Cheers.

5. rajarajan

ssma

how and where can i get ssma for free in online?

6. David Norfolk

Download SSMA?

Tried putting "ssma download microsoft" into Google?

Google is your friend...

This topic is closed for new posts.