back to article Treasury loony-magnet voting starts

The Treasury's Spending Challenge website now allows the public to vote on savings ideas - from the thousands suggested by members of the public. There are 44,000 ideas on the site and you can register and vote on them until 31 August. A Treasury spokeswoman said that the 63,000 responses collected confidentially from civil …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rcoombe
    FAIL

I will of course be looking at each idea

with only 44,000 to choose from I'll easily sort the wheat from the chaff and be able to vote on the sensible one(s).

2. Barry Lane 1
    WTF?

Are they seriously suggesting

that some poor bugger is going to wade through these umpteen thousand suggestions, some of which are indeed contributed by the mad and terminally bewildered, to include them in some kind of "vote"?

Or will they simply be used as a bit of smoke and mirrors to mask some of the unkindest cuts that our newish government is preparing to foist upon us?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good Ideas my arse

"In amongst the Wiki-loons there are undoubtedly some good ideas"

I doubt that.

Only two types of people are posting ideas on that site, trolls and ******* idiots! Sorry if that upsets anyone, but if any of you have posted a genuine non jokey idea, sorry to tell you but the Tory party is currently laughing at you and your stupidity. And should you of actually came up with a great idea, they will steal it and claim credit for it anyway. It's lose, lose and you are the biggest loser!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Idiots

@AC: "should you of actually came up with a great idea"

I think you mean "should you have actually come up with a great idea". Nice to see the subjunctive, though.

2. Ben Best
      Big Brother

Is it really lose lose

If it's genuinely a good idea, is implemented and makes some savings / makes the country "better". Is it really that bad a thing if you don't get your credit?

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Duh?

Just had a quick look through and a very highly rated one that caught my attention was"charge utilities for roadworks", superb thinking... The idea is to charge anyone digging up the road by the square meter and by the hour... I wonder if these people know where the money that the utilities will use to pay for this will come from?

1. Ale

Re Duh?

Utilities which have to put up their prices to pay the road charges, will lose customers and go bust.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Half the cost of edinburgh trams

Half the cost of edinburgh trams is moving utilities out of the way where they've just been dumped anywhere in all the main roads and don't even have accurate maps of where exactly they are. Why should the government be funding this work rather than the utilities that made such a mess of taking advantage of the public roads in the first place. Obviously it ends up utility bills, but it would make the utilities more efficient in the use/layout of roadworks as they'd have to take full account of the costs to the public of their actions.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Excellent!

So now we have government policy run like the f**king X-Factor!

"Call in and vote! We'll select the top voted idea, no matter how moronic! You get a cash prize and the satisfaction of sending the country further round the U-bend, while the politicians claim credit for the idea...until it goes pear-shaped at which point it was nothing to do with them!"

I appreciate the idea of ensuring we all get a say, but this will be 99% crackpot ideas from utter lunatics with nothing to do all day but sit on the internet looking to foist their rather scary ideas on everyone else!

6. Tim #3

Anyone spotted any amusing ones?

Amongst all those loonies, there must be some entertaining ones. The best I've found while scoffing my sarnies....

Nuclear Fusion

Info

by Literally on July 15, 2010 at 09:22PM

legalise weed and tax it, use the tax to fund research into nuclear fusion. Imagine a future where we are all high and have practically unlimited energy.

How the idea could be implemented

I went through this at length yesterday but your stupid site deleted my idea so go an look at that one.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Personally......

I have been going through the site and 5 staring every suggestion that might mean the scrapping of OFSTED.

I suggest everyone in the education and childcare business register and do the same!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.