back to article iPhone 4 on Pay as You Go: UK networks compared

We were struck by how bad a deal Vodafone is offering with its new PAYG plans for the iPhone 4. But it seems we are in a minority: the telco sold out of stock in less than a day of launching. We asked the company what the deal was for sim-only PAYG - and after getting the run-around from four departments, we were told to go …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NightFox
    WTF?

Simples?

Jeez, no wonder people end up wasting money on inappropriate tariffs. Even when you do finally manage to find out what the tariffs are, making any meaningful comparison between them is going to be beyond the wit and will of most people

2. petur

FYI, In Belgium...

In Belgium there seems to be only one (affordable) PAYG player, being Mobile Vikings.

15 euro top-up gives 1GB data, 1000SMS and you can use up the 15 euro to call (0,24 euro/min)

They also have a 12 euro/month option if you only need the 1GB data.

1. Gordon 10
      Joke

Sign me up

I would like to known when my Longship would arrive, and when I get to rape and pillage the peasants

3. Chris Jasper

Vodafone Shop Assistants

A Vodafone shop prole who was arrogant and rude. Never...........

4. Tom_

"Are YOU trying to tell ME about the company I work for?"

That reminds me of the guy in the O2 store who told me that if I was buying an iPhone, I had to buy insurance as well. I told him that wasn't the case and after a bit of arguing a queue was building up, so he relented and allowed me to buy one without taking out their insurance. I let him put it through the till and then just walked off.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Vodajoke

Vodafone are fast becoming a joke. They way they handle upgrades (Desire, Touch anyone?) is awful. The way they have handled our corporate account is shocking to say the least. 300 units on Vodafone for another 12months? I don't think so

6. Piggy and Tazzy

Data charges

Jeez! Some of those data usage charges are extortionate!

Taking the Tesco one as an example, I could pay 79p or whatever for a song, but be charged £12-£16 by Tesco to actually download the bloody thing!

Yes, yes. I know they are out of bundle charges (I'd hope), but still... £4 per Meg? Who the hell dreams up these charges?

I hate Orange with a passion, but comparing them (5p per MB) and Tesco (£4 per MB) and the difference in charges is, quite frankly, startling.

7. Peter Clarke 1
    FAIL

Excellent Customer Service

I'm surprised you let the Vodaphone oik get away with that, I'd would've had the store manager or Head Office sort that out. You'd ben given wrong info- a polite correction was in order.

Hope you got the name badge for this arrogant individual.

8. Michael Parker

giffgaff?

what, no mention of GiffGaff?

sim only, great bundles (from £5 per month) decent out of bundle costs (4p sms 8ppm calls to any network)

nice extras (free 0800 calls, free gg-gg calls and texts)

and totally unlimited internet...

1. Paul Shirley
      Grenade

because giffgaff dont do microSIMs?

1: they don't supply microSIMs, you'll have to cut your own or get one of the other users to supply one. So that's 95% of iPhone users frightened away. And you need to manually configure the phone because they can't get it automated - like most other networks seem to manage, that's most of the other Apple fans gone then...

2: PAYG data is no more or less unlimited than any of the others, use as much as you like, pay 20p/Mb for it. Yes, that's a better price than any most of the listed offers. Since no-one in their right mind would pay PAYG rates from any of them its not much of a consideration.

If one of their goodybags (AKA bundles) works for you giffgaff are *usually* the best deal without going to contract. Not exactly PAYG any longer though, more like a 30 day rolling contract with slightly less hassle switching product each month.

2. Piggy and Tazzy

I really like GiffGaffs tariffs

Made even nicer by the knowledge that they are actually O2 in disguise - just much, much cheaper.

Which kinds of makes me wonder why O2 are so bloody expensive.

9. ed2020
    Thumb Down

£25 for a SIM?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

10. Miffo

3 & vodafone

I use 3 PAYG (though not with an iPhone). I top up £10 every month or two and I never use all the data that comes with the top up - 150Mb - that's quite a lot for my usage. Any big downloads I do at home on Wi-Fi.

3's roaming charge is £1.25/Mb in Europe vs. £2.75 for Orange contract (and presumably PAYG) - I think that's pretty good for roaming.

Vodafone - I tried to buy a cheap PAYG phone from them recently on-line. No sign of the phone so I ring up customer services who are now so busy with iPhones that they had to route my call to another department who couldn't deal with my enquiry! I think I've managed to cancel it by e-mail but who knows!

11. Si 1
    FAIL

I got my Micro SIM free from O2...

... by cutting up a larger SIM. I phoned and asked for a MicroSIM but the dullard on the other end insisted I needed an iPhone SIM and that it would work in all iPhones. Turns out she as right, it does work in all iPhones once you've taken a pair of scissors to them.

Both Apple and the mobile companies have been utterly useless when it comes to letting people switch to a MicroSIM. I know of two other people who have had similar problems with other networks. The shops tell you to call the help line and the help line tells you to go to their shop, and neither seems to know what the hell a MicroSIM is.

12. Annihilator

Lie

Getting a micro SIM from O2 was quite easy really - I just lied and said I'd bought an iPhone 4 from the Apple store (that was the plan before the antennae problem - I've since held off). Handed one straight over and transferred it to by my active SIM.

Hell, if anyone wants one, I've got a spare one in my desk drawer which turned up after having registered on O2's website for information.

13. Dale 3

"I went with the PR team's info"

Seriously? PR people only exist to tell you what you want to hear, hopefully in a way that doesn't look like an outright lie when the reality is revealed.

If you're getting no joy finding out whether PAYG options exist from the store, website or phone salesperson, then I'm afraid you've already got your answer: it's not available. If the PR person says it is available, but you can't get it when you ask at the store or look on the website, then the reality is that it isn't available and that's what you should report.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2 Are already capping data on my package

I've had an unlimited (subject to fair use) bolt-on for ages, and I got a warning that I'd gone over 450M (which was well above the 200MB they regarded as fair use) and would get charged for data over 500MB last month. The iPhone packages might be different but I doubt it

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stupid question

I've never been able to get my head around mobile call plans. So here's a stupid question: what's 1 minute of voice traffic in MB/KB, and how does the cost compare to data traffic? I expect we're talking about different types of connectivity, but on the other hand data is data...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Looks like Vodafone is not THAT bad...

Looking at the data rates specifically, they're actually not too bad. The call rates are fairly standard but still cheaper than some of the others.

As for the Vodafone Shop person, ignore, then complain to management.

17. Mad as a Bat
    FAIL

vodawho?

Just come out of contract on Voda. Current contract 600 mins + unlimited texts, their upgrade "deal" was 200 mins + 300 texts same money. Nice going Vodafone. Checking through their site out of curiosity; new customer Samsung Galaxy S free + 600 mins + unlimited text + 500Mb data = 30/month, my upgrade price for the same deal = 35/month. Nice. I rang them about SIM only deals. Apparently if I have an iPhone I can get a SIM only deal that includes data + free WiFi access through BT Connect. However as I have an Android phone this deal is not available, data only with no free WiFi access. And they wonder why I requested a PAC from them.

18. si-si

Maths

Am I missing something here; Vodafone charge 50p for 25mb ie 500p(£5) for 250mb.

Or, charge £7.50 for a 'bundle' giving you 250mb??? Can't see what you're getting for 50% extra and committing to an upfront charge.

19. JaitcH
    Unhappy

How come SIMs cost so much

The government of the country in which I live has decreed that telco's can not discount any service below cost.

Our SIM's cost USD$0.25 (25 cents) and they are not the smallest as they contain menus in 3 languages which are quite memory hungry.

Another feature they offer is number selection independent of the SIM's which is just a matter of checking a box next to the desired number.

The articles price lists illustrate UK carriers gouging the poor British cell user.

20. TempsPerdu
    Thumb Up

France also?

Great article, sadly I no longer live in UK. I would love to see a similar article on the French mobile providers.

In my experience France is a little behind UK in the development of their tariffs, but just as difficult to work out what you are paying etc.

At present I'm using a simple PAYG tariff by one of the major supermarkets over here because the credit remains valid for 12 months rather than weeks! But the data is very limited. iPhones are very popular over here though. So I better knuckle down and learn the French tariff lingo!

21. slimgym

Virgin mobile?

Surprised no mention of Virgin mobile. Sure you have to cut a standard free SIM down to fit iPhone4 but 1GB of data costs £5 a month. I've a Nokia for a phone and just use the iPhone as a PDA, rarely use more than 250MB a month, pay a fiver, bargain.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like