back to article ET voted fave family film fodder

ET is the "greatest ever family film", according to a poll published in today's issue of Radio Times. More than 2,500 people chipped in their faves for the online search to find the ultimate popcorn experience for mum, dad and the nippers. Spielberg's classic pipped The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins, which had to make do with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lottie

ET

I remember being very small indeed when my folks and their friends were watching a pirate VHS of ET one night. The men in the hazmat suits scared the bejezus out of me!

Shame it had to be ruined with the whole "remove the guns" thing though.

2. Cameron Colley
    Unhappy

Hey you guys!!

What about The Goonies? I can't believe that missed out.

1. peyton?
      Heart

ahhh The Goonies

Probably a little too PG for this poll - even has swearing and all - the movies on this poll to be a bit tamer.

"That's my mom's most favorite piece!"

classic

3. b166er

WTF

is Shrek doing above BTTF? Girl vote I suppose.

If 'imaginations are fired' why are 8 of the films over 20 years old?

4. Bassey

I hate to disagree (not true) but...

Can't fault the top couple but after that I have to disagree with most of mankind.

Mary Poppins starts brilliantly but soon becomes dull

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is genuinely scary and not that great

Shrek ISN'T funny

The Sound of Music is hugely dull for large parts. It is really only the few (brilliant) musical numbers that people remember.

This list seems to have been compiled through the mists of miss-rememberings of nostalgic fifty-somethings.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back. Back....to the future......

5. peyton?

So was I the only person

To be completely creeped out by ET (as in the actual little alien muppet) as a kid.

Not a fan.

1. George Nacht
      Thumb Up

I concur

Creeped out and disgusted. And lonely in my sentiment. Until now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

ET

What a load of sentimental rubbish.I had to endure this at the pictures when it first came out. It was a first date so I made the gentlemanly offer of seeing what she wanted. Hated every minute. After all that suffering I still didn't get any. Curses.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: ET

That means you are old.

And have no soul.

QED.

1. Thomas 4
        Flame

I disagree

I really don't get why ET and all that crap is so popular. Even as a kid I thought it was manipulative sentimental rubbish. Now The Goonies, that was a kids film. I also remember crying as a child when Han Solo got frozen in carbonite and when Darth Vader got burned on the pyre.

I do have a soul - it's just a geek's soul. Or, from another perspective, a soul with cinematic taste.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Heart

Will confessing this get Sarah Bee to have my babies??

I took a first date to see it as well; and we both sobbed our hearts out!!

Luckily one of us was not wearing mascara; there was a bit of a Rocky Horror Show" moment when the lights came up and I looked around the cinema!!

Speaking of soulless, my sister sat 3 rows behind and threw popcorn at us all the way through the film.

Is it still too late to have her adopted??

The heart is for Sarah, obviously

7. petronivs

of course

"Reg readers with kids will doubtless be glad to see that classics from their own childhoods are well represented."

I'd be horribly surprised if they weren't. A poll like this is going to capture sentimental memories of movies that people haven't watched in decades, but still think are the bee's knees because they watched them when they were impressionable children. This is the same reason some people think that crappy cartoons like Thundercats and Voltron were the Best Evah.

I'm a bit surprised that any movies after 2000 made it into the top 10.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back to the Future?

One can only presume this is some edited down version of the original that manages to excise all the swearies, magical misdirects the incest, covers up the aggravated sexual assault (or attempted rape) with a musical number, and completely omits the band having a cigarette

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Hmmm....

I'm approaching 30 and have to admit i havent even seen half of those pics...

Well i guess when i get around to fathering some sprog then i guess i know which movies i have to show the little tykes...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

ET?

The very same ET where thousands of copy of that game are buried somewhere in New Mexico?

I agree with the rest tho. Back To The Future deserves #1 spot.

Now, excuse me while I go ask my microwave oven politely to rehydrate an instant hawaiian chicken pizza from Pizza Hut at hydration level 2.

11. Mike Hanna

Eh?

Isn't Star Wars a family film?

And all those muscial ones are generally sh1t, and only people of Barry Norman's generation (those around during WWII for Sound of Music) get them. I wouldn't subject my kids to any of them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radio Times?

So this is what 2500 Grannies voted for before their analogue signal was turned off. Where's the real survey?

13. Michael 82
    FAIL

OMG

Why E.T? Close Encounters was much better, it terrified the hell outta me one saturday evening on BBC1 in 1982!!! The aliens in that were far more creepy..

BTTF deserves to be much higher inc 2 & 3.. My daughter loves 3 for the steam train lol.

What did they define a family movie as?

14. CatNinja
    Heart

Why all the angst....

It is a survey and so was probably skewed to get the desired results.

These top 100 surveys are rubbish anyway because it assumes that everyone enjoys the same thing. I very really find many in the top 10 that I think are deserving (except the Guiness ad).

Now everyone take a deep breathe and realise that this survey in no way is a reflection on you and then have a lie down.

15. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Big girl's blouses survey.

Twenty films that make men cry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

I miss the good old days when men were men and women were women.

16. disgruntled yank

@Sarah Bee

Yes old, arguably no soul. Detested ET; my favorite character was the absent father, whom I did not in the least blame for splitting with a bimbo (I'm guessing he saw the script).

17. disgruntled yank

Also

Does Radio Times hire the alumni of Hallmark Cards?

18. The_Police!
    WTF?

How could they have missed out

The Green Mile?

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Morpho Devilpepper
    Coat

Yawn, sob...

A whopping 2,500 people? And still not enough of them with enough sense to vote "The Princess Bride" into the top 10? I weep for humanity.

E.T. was fun, but you didn't see him swashing his buckle about saying "Hello...my name is Insipid Muppet. You took my Reese's Pieces, prepare to die."

*Hrm* Right, well, must be off. Bad satire doesn't write itself...

This topic is closed for new posts.