back to article Lad from Lagos in unencrypted CD teaser

The Lads from Lagos have been keeping a low profile of late, so we're obliged to Reg reader Matt Summers for sharing this tempting get-rich-quick opportunity with fellow fans of Vulture Central: Dear Sir/Madam, How are you today?. I know that you will be surprise to read this mail,My name is Mr.Harrod James. The Federal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gulfie
    Joke

If I had ONE BRITISH POUND...

... for every one of these I'd reluctantly turned down, I'd have FIFTEEN BRITISH POUNDS AND FIFTY BRITISH PENNIES (I'm still considering one)

2. Blue eyed boy
    IT Angle

How ?uch

I'm confised by the appearance of ? as the most significant digits. It's certainly not a non ?nicode compatible screwup of our national currency symbol since it appears prefixed to the number of ?nited ?tates ?ollars also. Anybody got any idea what the ?uck is going on?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<title>

Dear Sir,

Thank for you for your kind offer, my full name and address is :

David Cameron,

10, Downing Street,

London.

I look forward to receiving the funds shortly.

4. Kenny Millar
    Jobs Horns

ONE HALF OF ONE HALF

You could take the money and then split it 50/50 with Apple, and they could hire some new Antenna engineers!

5. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Frightening!

The lost CD claim makes this the most convincing 419 scam I've ever seen.

1. Annihilator
      Badgers

Next up

MP expense account that has been forgotten about...

6. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Eh?

WTF's a 'fax'

7. Yorkshirepudding
    Coffee/keyboard

GREAT BRITISH POUNDS

lol really fail

8. Eden

Is Great British Pound

Is Great British Pound an accepted legal currency ?

1. TheRobster
      WTF?

Well, sort of...

I'm guessing this comes from the ISO code "GBP" to denote Pounds Sterling, in the same way that the US Dollar is "USD".

These are used instead of the £ or $ symbol so that people can differentiate between different currencies of the same name, ie US and Canadian Dollars, or British and Egyptian / Lebanese / Syrian pounds.

However, I have to admit to never hearing anyone call Sterling Great British Pounds.

2. Marvin the Martian

Given its actual state

The official term is now rearranged to read GREAT-ISH BRIT POUND, to go with the SO-SO AMERICAN DOLLAR and the OUCHO EURO.

9. Gordon 11

How long...

...does it take to get £17m out via an ATM machine?

(Something like 40 days and 40 nights?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Longer than that...

Since with my bank, I'm limited to £300 per day from a cash machine, it would take me 56,667 days, or to put it another way, just over 155 years.

Sad face.

10. Darkwolf

This is a bit different...

.. usually such scams require that you send them your banking details, which most people have been warned about.

This looks like a possible shift in how 419 scams will be perpetrated.

Now, rather then sending them your banking details, this would seem to indicate that they are now looking for others to send ATM cards to in order to withdrawal money from 3rd party accounts or maybe from accounts that have been created with "overdraft protection"?

(With most banks in the US, overdraft protection means that the bank will honor a withdrawel request or check and then put the account into a negative status if there is no money into the account)

Is it possible that possibly one of the many disks/flashdrives/laptops that contain peoples that have been lost in the past couple of years may have finally made it into the "lads of lagos" hands?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not that different...

once you get in touch, they will no doubt explain to you that they need x amount to pay the lawyers to create the trust... and on it goes until you figure it out or have no more money.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

OMG, they lost my ATM card

Clearly I'm SOL..

Attn: Beneficiary,

I am Mr. Ron Mills, the personal secretary to the FBI Director; Robert S.Mueller III. After proper investigations, we discovered that your impending payment that have been withheld by imposters, claiming to be Mr. Lamido Sanusi (The New Governor of the Central bank of Nigeria), Mr. Patrick Aziza, Mr. Frank Nweke, None existing officials of the Oceanic Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, UK winning Lottery, Andy Lear of Hsbc bank, Coca-Cola winning lottery and among a list of others is now under our custody with the help of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Local Police Force. Investigations revealed that you have spent a lot on your personal earned money just to conclude the successful transfer of your funds to your nominated bank account by obtaining transfer documents as requested by the imposters, costing you a lot of money but all to no avail.

The FBI had to send some financial crime investigators from our head quarters in Washington DC to Africa in other to carry out proper investigation, after receiving series of other reports similar to yours as you are not the only person awaiting the legal transfer of funds from Africa. The FBI has giving authority to the International Monetary Funds (IMF) to assist the Federal Ministry of Finance and all the organization involved; such as the Central Bank, Zenith Bank, and Legit lottery organizations to immediately commence with the compensation of all the beneficiaries awaiting the successful transfer of their funds. With the help of some of the best Internet investigators attached to the FBI, we traced your information from the Internet as one of the beneficiaries awaiting the successful transfer of funds to your nominated account.

I am pleased to inform you that a meeting was held as regards the best way to carry out with the compensation exercise for transparency and most especially to avoid reoccurrence of the delay in transferring your funds and the high cost of procuring transfer documents and came to a final conclusion as all head of organizations involved was duly represented. It was approved to be issued to you as a valid international ATM card cashable at any ATM machine designation in the world. The ATM account has already being credited with two million, five hundred thousand United States dollars. ($2.5, 000, 000.00USD), with a daily Limit of withdrawal of Ten thousand United States Dollars. ($10.000, 00USD).The ATM card has already being packaged and approved to be delivered to your door step via express courier delivery service.

Contact Mr. Mr. Edward French {Our FBI ATM Rep.} at the ATM PAYMENT CENTER and reconfirm your delivery information as stated below and your security code with five digit (24006) number has to be submitted alongside with your delivery information for security reasons.

DELIVERY INFROMATION:

FULL NAME:

DELIVERY ADDRESS:

CELLPHONE NUMBER:

CURRENT OCCUPATION

CONTACT INFORMATION:

NAME: Mr. Edward French

EMAIL: sprinca6@secretarias.com

PHONE: +2348069701146

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Not at all convincing...

I mean, a lost CD?

Surely people have moved on these days to DVDs??

The being lost bit is totally believable.

13. Dom 3

How 419 scams work

@Darkwolf, and half the world:

419 scams do *not* "require that you send them your banking details". They frequently start off by asking for them but it is part of the "con", as in "confidence". To make the victim believe that they will be moving money *into* their account, they ask for the details. It is very very difficult (I will not say impossible because I am a pedant, but for all practical purposes you can read that as "impossible") to move money *out* of an account and into your own pocket armed only with the account details. Jeremy Clarkson rather famously set out to prove this a few years ago; somebody cheekily set up a direct debit to a charity in his name but that is all.

419 scams work by getting people to voluntarily part with the cash. It's got nothing to do with bank account details.

14. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Exchange Rate?

The lads from Lagos are a bit behind on the pound/dollar exchange rate - I'd take the cash in dollars

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

My money is in the bank volt.

Along with my brane.

This topic is closed for new posts.