back to article Crucial releases really skewed cheap flash drive

Lexar has announced a 64GB version of its Crucial RealSSD flash drive with enormously skewed read and write rates. The 2.5-inch format product is a dwarf compared to its 128GB and 256GB counterparts, and a comparative sluggard at writing. The 64GB version uses the same multi-level cell flash from Micron as the other two but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Still too expensive

Kingston's SSD Now V series 40G was a good idea. Pity it it did not last and some interesting thoughts and words starting with Car and finishing with tel come to mind. This drive is just another unit that ensures that the industry pricing model is not broken. Nothing earth shattering so I do not quite see why it should make my shopping list :(

2. David Kelly 2

Understanding Percentage

"NAND natively has around 6 percent over-provisioning built in, so as SSD capacity goes up so does the corresponding percentage of over-provisioning."

I don't believe the author of the above quote understands percentages. 6% is 6% whether its 6% of 64GB or 6% of 128GB.

1. Mullerrad
      FAIL

Understanding %%%%%

I think the author understood that I just think his use of English went a bit heywire

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

This story sounds interesting..

.. but I admit I am too stupid to understand the content.

Can we have a synopsis for thickos, like me? Maybe using drawings and stuff.

4. JC 2
    Happy

@ This story sounds interesting...

To sum it up, using two to four times as many workers (flash chips) simultaneously, a job gets done faster.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@This story sounds interesting

Flash memory is much faster than disk.

Particularly seek time is near zero so any operation that involves reading lots of little files in random order is much much faster. This includes booting windows and running compilers.

But flash is much more expensive than disk.

Then somebody noticed that if you only want reads to be fast it's cheaper to make than if both read/writes need to be fast and for booting windows you only need reads to be fast.

So for what most people want flash disks for - this is as fast as expensive SSds but much cheaper.

6. tony trolle
    Headmaster

still want to pay $30

and no more for about 20Gb or more

that would do me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like