back to article Android phones invade the world

Google is activating 160,000 Android-OS phones a day - up from 100,000 a day in the third week of May. Android apps are also growing at a lick, with about 65,000 available, compared with 50,000 a month ago. The figures come from Google chief exec Eric Schmidt, in an exclusive interview with The Guardian. How long before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

That number is not going to slow either..

More Android handsets and tablets coming along every day, each one of them better and cheaper than an iPhoney/iFad...

2. strangefish

hmm...well

...apparently there's about 40 million iphones in the world so I make that 250 days to match that plus whatever it then takes to match the level they are still selling at ...say 6 million a quarter?...call it an extra 60 days?

3. Mr Brush
    Megaphone

Apples and Oranges

I'm increasing thinking that the inevitable comparison is wrong.

IMO, iPhones are fashion accessories, Androids are techy tools.

People who want something that they can wave about to look 'cool' will always choose iProducts, people who want to twiddle with the guts and don't mind getting their hands dirty will choose Android. Of course there's some middle ground, but neither option will dominate both areas.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Happy

Techy tools

All well and good, except that Android doesn't require any twiddling at all. It's well worth a look, if you haven't already.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Ms. Comb

Nice attempt at a silly and simple labelling, but fail.

Fashion accessories? How silly. And Android being techy tools, no, but the users are.

You're right about one thing, though, the comparison. Comparing an OS to a handset is just stupid. Just shows how we are so hell bent on competition. So the fuck what that one is more quantity? What the hell can you conclude from that, other than one has more quantity. It doesn't mean better (Windows proves that), it doesn't mean the users are anything but users.

It's nothing, it's stupid, stop doing it.

4. Peter Storm

hmmm..

"The figures come from Google chief exec Eric Schmidt"

Well, they won't be biased at all then will they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE:hmmm

How can what was said be biased, either you activated 160,000 phones a day, or dont, yep it could be 159500 one day, 140000 another 170000 another. Or they have peaked at 160000 right now, which is an increase from their previous, but it is still that number being activated. If it was 160000 handsets having android installed, but not saying if they had been sold, then that would be different.

Then the appstore, either they have that number of applications in the store or they dont. So, if you dont believe what was said, then, you arent saying he is biased, you are saying he is lying.

2. Dave Rickmers
      Big Brother

CEOs don't lie in public about sales figures

That would expose them to securities fraud charges.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VHS, Betamax

Betamax was the better system, didnt mean they won though...

iPhone is a nice and slick operation(-ish) where as 'droid suffers from from fragmentation. Who is going to win? who knows...

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What's with this activation malarky?

I've been thinking of buying an Android handset at some point in the not-too-distant, but do they all have to be connected to Google and activated (and no doubt hoover up some personal info??) before you can use the damn thing?!

I'm hoping the answer is NO...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

using a google account is optional.

so no you dont have to connect it to google.

with HTC (with Sense) you can connect to facebook and other profiles too..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

DO NOT WORRY bzzzt CITIZEN

I AM A HAPPY AND bzzzt SATISFIED USER OF bzzt AN HTC DESIRE POCKET TELEPHONY UNIT.

IT IS VERSATILE AND USEFUL bzzt AND I HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR FROM THE GOOGLES. LET THE BLACK HELICOPTERS LAND.

(Actually, I do have an HTC Desire- and after finding out how to reconfigure it so it got data through bloody Orange reliably, it's pretty damn good. Battery life could be better, even with JuiceDefender running, but it's still pretty usable.

If you're bothered about THE GOOGLES, a lot of the evil stuff is optional- I made a google account specifically for my phone, not tied to anything interesting, too)

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Fragmented Droid?

I think you are refering to the fact that Android was Forked from the original open source Linux Kernal, however this does not result in any fragmentation or forking within the Droid Tree. It only establishes Droid in its own right as a seperate entity to Linux. now compare that to the totally un related to anything iPhad OS.

1. paul-s
      FAIL

Facts - try getting the first

Idiot. iOS 4 is derived from OS X, in turn derived from BSD - a genuine UNIX, if such a concept can exist. Your point is what?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

getting the first.

Ok so its a fork of a fork, of a fork! so how does that relate to the original post claiming android fragmentation? My point was that whatever you chose ots a fork of something or other, but that doesn't make it fragmented. Guess the sarcasm was too tenious.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like