back to article ICO spanks careless Kent Police after data was stolen from car boot

Kent Police has been reprimanded by the Information Commissioner's Office and has promised to improve policies following the loss of private data from the back of a car. Adrian Leppard, temporary Chief Constable of Kent Police, has signed an undertaking to improve policies. The data was left in the boot of an officer's car …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

You are reprimanded

..for losing data in your own car. You are supposed to lose it in a train car !

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    FAIL

Now I know what my Poll Tax is wasted on... Briefcases.

If the plod concerned had taken the information home to work on it, WTF was it doing in the boot of his car? Or had it been kicking around in there for days? Weeks?

Massive fail by any standards.

3. Kevin 43
    FAIL

What possible reason

would there be for sensitive data to be taken to an employee's home? are their spouses and children security cleared? Do they sign an agreement that they will never stop off at the shops leaving the car unattended or pick up passengers, on the way home from work?

4. Antony King
    Black Helicopters

Secure Briefcase?

Just how secure is it? Do the contents get destroyed on opening? Or can anyone get in with an angle grinder?

5. The Original Ash
    FAIL

What exactly was he taking home?

Surely any information warranting the ICO getting involved shouldn't be removed from secure premises anyway.

Saying that, my cousin baby-sat for my GP a couple of times, one of which she found about 20 medical files on the kitchen table (This was around a decade ago). Everyone's at it, apparently.

6. irish donkey
    Happy

Hmmm Not even a £60 fine or points on the license

There's no lesson there.

Maybe if the Police did more to combat casual crime this wouldn't happen.

Wish I had of been there to say. 'Well you shouldn't have left it in your car!, that just asking for trouble'.

in quotes because that what the Police said to me......Not so funny now when it happens to you!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Beyond a joke

"Adrian Leppard, temporary Chief Constable of Kent Police, has signed an undertaking to improve policies." With what consequences and what punishment if he fails? They always just say sorry and do it again within a week. There have been dozens of stories of this type (not all the police -- sometimes NHS etc.) this year in The Reg already.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What...

...no half million quid fine, the likes of which was threatened if anyone else (other than the old bill apparently) monumentally f*cked up in such a way?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's the point of a fine?

He wouldn't have paid it, WE would...

9. not.known@this.address
    Big Brother

Graff (It's a title, dummie, looke it uppe)

Just one thing to think about - where do Kent's finest get their money from?

Penalising the taxpayers of Kent because someone stuffed up is hardly fair is it? Far better to take the (ir)responsible officer and shove him in the cells for a couple of nights, with exactly the same treatment given to members of the public.

Taking a dozen bobbies off the beat, or closing down a small 'village' station because some muppet fsck'd up is hardly helping the community, is it??

10. Noa
    FAIL

and what has happened to the officer that lost the files?

I wonder if s/he has been sacked or disciplined in anyway?

Also, when data gets lost, is there a legal obligation to inform the people who it relates to of the fact?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

whatever happened

to the chief constable of kent? seems to have disappeared without trace, not that I'm complaining mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Somebody....

...left him in the back of a car....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kent police losing stuff......

Is nothing new, just make a complaint to the professional standards department and watch how quickly the plod they are investigating lose stuff, from arrest records to interview tapes to PNB's.

Start issuing the fine to the pension fund and see how quickly the data management improves, that way the tax payer isnt impacted.

13. David 45

Appropriate punishment

Surely the officer concerned should be personally punished? Just why was he allowed to take data out of the building, in any case? We should be told, as I see no reason for an officer to take this sort of stuff home.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same old, same old....

One law for them, another for the rest of us. When was it ever different?

Is this the way they'd have been treating data if we'd continued with ID cards?

A slap on the wrist for a 'rare' occurrence that we all know happens all the time. A square ticked on official forms and honour is satisfied - inside the establishment anyway.

And it doesn't just affect police records - one way or another (officially or unofficially - thank you Brother) they have access to all sorts of stuff we assume is strictly private. If the data isn't at risk in authorised hands (big 'if'), it probably is once it gets into theirs. They certainly have access to library borrowing records in this area.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like