back to article FCC: iPad breach and Google Wi-Fi debacle 'worrisome'

AT&T's failure to safeguard information for more than 100,000 iPad users and Google's collection of user data over Wi-Fi networks are “each worrisome in its own way,” a Federal Communications Commission official said Friday in the agency's first comment on the privacy breaches. “Our Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 46Bit
    Flame

Oh here we go

Governments toot two horns. One claims (correctly, don't get me wrong) that companies collecting/releasing private stuff is evil. The other claims that unelected bureaucrats should be able to spy on our activities both online & offline with no regard for privacy just to catch paedophiles/terrorists/another-bad-group-that's-been-in-the-news.

1. lucmars

Not only the unelected bureaucrats

It seems that the email's elite matter far most than your email.

2. Andrew Rodland

If you want information to be private

then don't set up radio devices to broadcast it off of your property, into public spaces, on public spectrum.

3. Gannon (J.) Dick
    WTF?

Private Profits, Public Risk

I'm a little puzzled ...

Google located a bunch of people who like shiny stuff with low expectations.

Apple sold a bunch of shiny stuff to people who have money to buy more.

Shouldn't they just exchange lists ?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

At least we have advanced from Clinton's "Clipper Me" attitude

“The FCC's mission is to ensure that broadband networks are safe and secure, and we're committed to working with all stakeholders to prevent problems like this in the future.”

Thirty years later, lots and lots of civil servants will have grown fat on salary and graft and retired with nice pensions due to these words, but the problems will still be there.

5. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Happy

I'm not worried.

I knew sooner or later those miscreants "who expect personal privacy" Eric Schmidt was talking about would show their faces. Sort of funny they also happen to be Steve Job's best customers and that AT&T did the unveiling.

6. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Coat

I'm not worried.

In fact, everything seems to be working out as Apple, AT&T and Google intended.

... wait a minute ...

You mean well-heeled early adopters did not expect to be used as the powerless often are ?

Hmm ... I see the problem. Sux to be them, doesn't it ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Berferd has won

How the mighty have fallen.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's only e-mail addresses anyways...

I tend to register a bogus e-mail at purchase and signup times anyways, and open a new account randomly to avoid all the spam and other garbage that come through. If it were financial or private information it would be very different.

9. Dalvik
    Alert

There is no real problem...

I am an early iPad user and I don't care that my e-mail address was leaked. It's not like spammers aren't already getting this information through marketing and advertising firms. Heck companies are leaking data against their own privacy policies all the time, it's rediculous.

10. HonestM

sync via a secure webDAV link use SwissDisk

With the ever increasing number of people using Blackberry, iPhone, Droid and syncing data, personal calendars and contact lists it's just a matter of time before the criminals are stealing private data... where and when will it happen to you? Why not sync with a secure webDAV service like SwissDisk? Your 'sync link' to SwissDisk is secure and the information is always encrypted, end-to-end. Thousands of satisfied customers are using SwissDisk on a daily basis to maintain privacy while their data is updated on an instant basis. Some webDAV sync apps are BusySync and pader-sync and for notes there is notebooksapp ... stay safe out there!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like