back to article The emerging cloud alternative

If there’s one thing about the current furore about Cloud Computing that really gets our goats, it’s to do with the amount of unnecessary confusion that’s being generated. It's unnecessary because, behind it all, there’s actually a number of quite good things happening. Sure, it’s a tricky area as it cuts across so many things …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Williams
    FAIL

You need to post the link more.

Its not obvious where I can download the PDF.

2. Tom Cooke

FAIL

Surely the last thing it's about is 'where do you want to run your stuff'? Does anyone care - or know - where the reservoir is that holds your water supply? Or which power station is generating your electricity at any given moment? The real questions are; is it there when you turn the tap switch? Who's responsible for making sure? How much do you pay, and how much choice do you have over cost versus service? What if something goes wrong, do you trust somebody else to fix it? I use a battery in my digital camera because I want portability and I can buy batteries in the supermarket when I need to; but I plug my TV into the mains because I don't carry it about with me. Surely these are the things cloud computing is supposed to be about, not 'where'?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Doc won't open

Reader can't open the doc - I've tried downloading it from each link on the page even!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nevermind

Just realised you can't right click or send the link to your favourite download programme, even though the link clearly says it's a PDF file.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Aside from having to pay the water bill, a reservoir does not take stuff from me in order to fulfil it's function. What is happening where is a paramount consideration, and why it will take a long time, if it ever happens at all, for me to actually want my computing activity to happen anywhere apart from on my desk.

OK I'll look at the PDF file now I guess.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Or maybe not since some nosey bastard seems to want a page full of info about me first.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like