back to article Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII is one of the most anticipated releases of the past two or three years. As it dropped through the post box I steeled myself for at least a week lost in a world of futuristic Noh theatre. This feeling was enhanced by the circulating rumours about the epic length of game play, made bearable only by a stunning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Joke

Which part of 'Final' is confusing?

Final Fantasy XIII? Surely that's 12 games liable under the Trade Descriptions Act...?

1. Danny 5
      Thumb Up

final fantasy because...

Final Fantasy I was made by SquareSoft, a company on it's last legs and about to go into administration. this was to be their last game and they decided on a fantasy style role playing game.

final game.

fantasy style rpg.

1+1=?

i have recently played through it on my xbox and not knowing how it looks on the PS3, i was actually quite impressed by the visuals (coming from FF XII on the PS2). the first part of the game is indeed very tedious, i even skipped most of the movies the first 10-15 hours of playthrough (being a seasoned veteran when it comes to FF, i pretty much knew what was coming). after the first 30 hours, i was wondering if this installment could even come close to it's predecessors, i didn't enjoy it all that much, but i have to admit that it turns out to be a fantastic game. Rumors are that FF XIV is going to be PS3 only again, so i may end up getting a PS3 afterall.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Multiple discs and crappy resolution on Xbox

Avoid, and get it on PS3 instead...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Crappy resolution?

What, like EVERY PS3 game?

3. Paul Hates Handles

Interesting

I'm quite surprised the PS3 version ended up looking better than the 360 version. Epic install times \o/ :D

1. DrXym

You shouldn't be surprised

FFXIII has an enormous amount of full screen video. The PS3 has a lot more storage capacity on a Blu Ray disc than the 360 does on a DVD. It was inevitable that the video would suffer, but people are surprised how much it suffered. At least the style of game made it suitable for splitting over multiple discs. If the game wasn't so horribly linear it would have been a much tougher task to accomplish.

4. Paul Hates Handles

oh...

...how come the review is out now, 3 months after everyone else has reviewed it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Very poor game

Sorry to say that this game is just aweful. 7, 8, 9 and 12 are so much better.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

completely crappy game

I have spent more than 90 hours on it. The weapon upgrade system is trash, the linearity makes you wanna punch through the TV and the retarded paradigm shift system will have you using just X and L1 in fights. Forget about strategy and controlling your characters. You cannot even control their level up path. You cannot control all 3 of them in a battle. You only control the lead character and his summon and even then you will use autobattle 99% of the time so the AI does all the work for you and all you do is mash X until your thumb bleeds. I have played almost all the game in the series. This one is horrible not only by FF standards but by any RPG standards. Avoid!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

FF Novice

I haven't played any of the other FF series much to my eternal shame so i purchased this game perhaps with too high expectations given the hype of FF over the years, sadly I was very disappointed.

I haven't played it through to the end but I did keep playing for a while expecting it to get better and whilst I am sure that I am still very much in the beginning sections of the game (well not the beginning but obviously not where it starts to get fun) but I can't bring myself to plough through more tedious hours of linear rubbish.

Sorry but this game has been consigned to my "play when I am retired" section especially as I now have Red Dead in my hands...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like