back to article Nokia and Intel birth mobile Linux baby

Intel and Nokia have released the first code from their joint mobile Linux project, MeeGo, an effort to challenge Google's Android. Three months after the project was announced, the two companies have delivered MeeGo 1.0. Intel said it provides a stable core foundation for application development and a "rich user experience" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

Shell?

So does it have an easy to reach shell like Maemo devices have? Does it use Debian packages and repositories? It's no use if it's just another Android/iPhone clone. People who want that buy Android/iPhone.

1. Dork Lard
      Thumb Up

re. Shell

I think the point of this is to give Nokia something to compete with Android/iPhone and for Intel to have a route into mobile devices.

Android/iPhone clone perhaps, but if you can't (Apple), or don't want to (Google), join them you can't just pack up your business.

This at least looks like a positive step for those who want to compete in the smart phone market but don't want to contribute to Google's empire and by definition, Nokia can't make an iPhone.

It's always possible that with the cooperation of companies who know and control the hardware as well as Intel and Nokia, they will be able to create a smart phone OS that's better on power management than current offerings.

2. John Hughes

RPM

"Does it use Debian packages and repositories?"

No, MeeGo, like Moblin, is RPM based. (release announcement includes thanks to Novel Suze team).

Pity.

2. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

The stupidometer just went off the scale

Excuse me for being thick this morning,but why would I need Fennec or Chrome for that matter on a system where Webkit is integrated, tested and embedded already. It is part of the Qt libs.

Putting one _more_ browser on top which is not integrated with the system is just plain silly.

1. Nexox Enigma

(title)

WebKit isn't a browser, it's a set of libraries that do portions of what a browser must do in order to browse. I've heard that Chrome is webkit based, so it's probably just linked to the libraries that come with QT.

And 'integrated into the system' means what? Already included? A couple extra libraries never really hurt anyone, and I believe that people should chose a browser based on the browser's merits, not based on it's dependencies.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Genivi

A significant (well to me anyway) point not covered is that Meego is the basis for Automotive grade Linux.

The Genivi consortium is a big Automotive beanfeast intended to commonise platform development across most of the OEM suppliers. I'm not impartial on this one, developing a platform for a large Tier one supplier, but Genivi looks pretty good, there's a significant investment going into it and it will deliver robust code with interfaces not normally considered as part of "IT".

I'm talking tuners, CAN, cameras, sophisticated power control, fast boot, virtualisation, secure sandboxes etc. You can imagine the potential problems from putting a PC in a car, Meego aims to solve most of them - might be an interest for other Reg readers developing or wanting secure ruggedised platforms.

4. Rex Alfie Lee
    Linux

Go Intel & Go Nokia...

Well Muckrakingsoft, lets see you take these boys on. Well done Intel, I'm proud of you & Nokia whose current OS is on the soiled-side, has something to move their great hardware into the Northern lights & bring them back from the dead.

Good on you both. Something else to damage M$ completely as well as MAC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like