back to article Android phones get free video calling

A new version of identity-aggregation application Fring brings video calling to Android handsets, despite the company's ever-lacking business model. The new Fring client for Android has all the usual VoIP and messaging functions: aggregating identities from Skype, GoogleTalk and SIP-based telephony services, as well as ICQ, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Argh

No front camera

With neither the Nexus One nor the Desire having a front camera (i.e. where you can be on camera and also see the screen), they're not very useful for video calls.

I'm not sure aboute cameras on the milestone.

2. sproot
    FAIL

Desire

Video calling will be awfully impressive on my Desire, since it doesn't have a front mounted camera.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No front-facing camera

None of those devices mentioned have a front-facing camera, so the availability of this service is really a moot point, no?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Really, Fring? Really?

I have a Desire, I thought "This could be quite a nice optional extra", then realised that none of the 3 phones listed - Nexus One, Motorola Droid and HTC Desire - has a front facing camera, which pretty much rules out video chat.

Ah well, nice attempt Fring.

5. matt 49
    Thumb Down

Nexus One

Gonna have to carry a mirror around if you want to see the screen and appear to the other person on the nexus one :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTC Desire...

as least doesn't have a front facing camera...

I supposed you could always stand in front of a mirror though....

7. Muckminded

Rename it

..."Candid Spamera" and I'm there.

8. Dave Fox
    FAIL

It's not see and be seen

It's see OR be seen! :)

9. Dayjo
    Thumb Down

No front camera..

Some sort of mounted mirror system could accommodate those of you with no front facing cameras.

*looks for patents*

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Oninoshiko
    FAIL

Re: no front faceing camera:

maybe you are supposed to only use it in the bathroom where you have a mirror...

I didn't say it was a GOOD idea, just the only thing I could think of for this.

12. Joshua Murray
    Paris Hilton

Too Beaucoup!!

I just updated Fring on my T-Mobile Pulse and got a low storage warning... Seems it's grown in size considerably since the last version.

Oh, and even though the Pulse DOES have a forward facing camera, the app told me my phone wasn't supported for video calls.

So, thankfully I could restore back to the last version using my Titanium Backup backup.

/Paris.Video.etc....

1. Lutin

@Pulse Owner

In the settings there is an option to force video.

That said, this seems to use the camera on the back, even though android is one of the only phones to have a front-facing camera!

13. LuMan

Videocalls??

Out of interest, does anyone actually use the videocall function of any phone? I only used it once to see what it was like and ended up WRITING my message on a sheet of paper and holding it up in front of the camera!! Most expensive text message I ever sent...

Paris - 'cos it's a Friday.

1. Stuart 22

Yes!

I blagged a couple of videophones for my deaf daughter and us during the Orange 3G trials with free videocalls.

Worked brilliantly despite the small screen. We could easily read each other's signing. Did try and push Orange into marketing to the BSL community but they were not interested. And the tariff set on launch of the service forced us back to texting.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Front Facing Camera?

Okay, so I think we realise there is no front facing camera on those models, and that you can use a mirror.

But why does video calling just have to be about showing your face to the other party? Video calling would still work by seeing the other person's video and more importantly seeing their face is quite boring.

Being able to see the rear camera is more interesting. If you are ringing to tell someone about the amazing view of the Grand Canyon, or trying to get help fixing something, or telling someone about the big traffic jam on the road they are going to be travelling having the view of what you are seeing is a lot bettter than having a, not so pretty, mug being beamed out.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video calls, never used

As an ex-Three employee where I used to have a completely company sponsored 3G phone with video calling, the only time I ever used it in about 2 years was when someone couldn't find a USB port and we went video so I could see that the port had been completely disconnected from the front panel.

It's a dead duck already. Enthusing about it's plumage isn't going to revive it. How about a nice iPuppy instead?

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

no camera

So after having had a front facing camera on my last 3 mobiles I had to think long and hard about buying a desire without one! I did a quick count of the number of video calls I had made over the past five years and decided it wazsn't going to be tooo much of an issue as the total was zero! I had attempetd to Video Call the missus on her PAYG but that was not allowed! wtf!? its me trying to pay for it!

Dead duck..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like