back to article Fader pushers mourn Fritz Sennheiser

The founder of Sennheiser Electronics, Dr Fritz Sennheiser, has died aged 98. Sennheiser studied electronics in Berlin in 1929 first at the Technical University then the Heinrich Hertz Institute. He helped build the amplification for the 1936 Berlin Olympics ceremony. During the war he worked in cryptography, but this was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover
    Jobs Halo

Sennheiser - about the best..

I had a pair, they were brilliant, 1970's vintage. Not for hi-fi, but for ham radio morse use. Clear as crystal.

Thought 'Koss' was German, also but I'm mistaken.

Can't understand how folks are happy with these titchy ear-buds. Haven't found any that either fit well, or give any sound improvement improvement over a POTS telephone handset. Reviews welcome, natch.

Icon, 'cos he looks like he's wearing a pair. Or is it an iPod?

1. Cameron Colley

For titchy earbuds...

Try Shure, Etymotic or Ultimate Ears (my personal favourite) -- some people do report the bass is a little lacking in some models but the triple driver units I've tried compare well to headphones.

1. Andus McCoatover

Triple driver units???

In an earbud??? Grief, things have moved on a bit since I was a lad...My last triple drivers were housed in walnut boxes.

At least we won't be pestered by the adjacent hoodie's "ch-ch-aff-ch-ch" on a bleeding train for an hour or so.

2. The Repulsive Monkey

RIP & Thank you

Our ears will remember you forever

3. EddieD
    Unhappy

Sad day

I'm just about to clip on my Senheisser earbuds, when I was a dj in the 80s I used Senheisser microphones, and when I feel like damaging my hearing I'll put on my Senheisser Evo headphones. I hope the company continue his philosophy of good, affordable audio tech - and I'll keep buying it.

4. Anomalous Cowturd
    Pint

R.I.P. Fritz Sennheiser.

I still regularly use a pair of HD480's that I've had for over twenty years. Fantastic sound quality, super comfy. All you want in a set of cans.

I drink to you Sir.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

I shall be mixing with my headphones at half-mast this evening :-(

6. Hedley Phillips

Love the modular design

I have a pair of HD something or other and I love them. Have had them for over 15 years and they were second hand when I got them, lovely sound, comfortable and everything part can be replaced individually which was great when the dog chewed through the cable.

Thankfully the dog wasn't replaced.

7. DT
    Jobs Horns

TYFTM

At least he's left a legacy, which doesn't include the infernal generic white earbuds of annoyance and their leaky tinny sounds which other commutters just *love*. Anyone know if the wire strong enough to garott someone with?

Hooking digital music players up to 'phones like that, is akin to watching a bluray disks on a 12" black and white portable.

8. Basic
    Dead Vulture

RIP

Amazing quality audio stuff - I've used it religiously for years. Always worth the extra price

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP

I'm an AKG man now, but I used a pair of Sennheisers for years. They showed me through the first five years of learning music production, and survived a tough life - in fact, they're still kicking around here somewhere.

10. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Video Is Easy...

...because you can see it.

Audio is much more difficult to picture. Sennheiser was one of the rare people with this ability.

11. EL Vark

Thank you and good luck... out there.

Bought a pair of HD 420's to complement my Koss Pro 4/AAA's, back in the day and have had a quiet love affair with Sennheiser ever since. Best two pairs of headphones I've owned and infinitely superior to anything you jam down your ear canals today. If you can find a mint set (of either, though in this case we're mourning Herr Sennheiser), grab 'em. They were ~CDN$100 c.1984 if you need a benchmark, value-wise (the Koss phones weren't much more a few years previous). Next best thing to a pair of Kef's and a megawatt of juice.

12. Neil Woolford

I'm having a memorial listen on my original HD414s right now.

Bought when I were a lad. From Hamilton Electronics in Southampton, in case anyone else remembers them. Still a superb sound as far as my aging ears can tell, natural, clean smooth and detailed. Good for a very wide range of music types and speech too. If things sound poor on them it is due to bad engineering in the origination or poor equipment in the reproduction chain. By the way, their current earbud production isn't bad either...

13. Dork Lard
    Unhappy

RIP

I've had many Sennheiser headphones over the years (dating back to a pair of HD420SL's in the 80s), and never been disappointed.

14. Mark Pitchless
    Thumb Up

Sennheiser HD 25

The finest DJ/Monitoring headphones known to man.

15. phoenix
    Pint

Keep your Beyerdynamic

it Sennheiser all the way. Thank you for your great input into the recording and listening world. Auf Wiedersehen und Schlaft gut.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are all mostly good headphones...

I use the (very much cheaper) Sennheiser PXC250 headphones when at work. I used to have Sony headphones and all other sorts and got sick of replacing and went for the Sennheiser ones after trying a friends.

Simply love them - best headphones I've had - good bass response and good upper tones - and fold up nice and small for travel.

I know people who have the higher up HD headphones and they all love them too.

17. Nick Brown

Nice to see the mics getting a mention as well

The MD-441 is a timeless classic. We'll probably never again see moving-coil mics designed with such dedication and taken to such astonishing levels of performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.