back to article Steelie Neelie batters at China's Great Firewall

China's Great Firewall is acting as a block to international business and should be tackled by the World Trade Organisation (WTO), according to European Competiton Commissioner Neelie Kroes. In Shanghai today, she said that the array of technical measures designed by Beijing to stop citizens accessing banned websites was also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ShaggyDoggy

Huh ?

It's the 21st century and there are still trade barriers, protectionism, etc.

Sheesh.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

How did the complaints about yanks and their banning of online gambling go?

I can't remember.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ahem, Finally, applause

For f*ck sake, why don't we have a couple of politicians and civil servants like her in the UK?

China and russia regime on encryption on connecting back to wester company HQ, encryption on transferring data back and fourth between HQ and local company branches as well as many other digital administriva have been specifically created to ensure that:

1. Your company can be subjected to industrial espionage at the lowest cost possible so your data and trade secrets can be handed off to the local competitors.

2. You are forced to be local or partner with a local company to do business.

While Russia is not a member of the WTO so there is bugger all you can do when they tell you "Poshel na huj", china is a different matter. I hope the EU follows up with this as this will finally allow it to put some reasonably blanket levies on all Chinese goods which are long overdue.

4. Tasogare
    Unhappy

Title

I find it depressing that violation of free trade is possibly more embarrassing than violation of human rights.

It just seems like, I dunno, a bit of a priority problem.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice one Neelie

Hit them where it hurts

6. Not Fred31
    WTF?

You say potato, I say "censorship"

She is also a strong supporter of the Internet blocking proposal recently made by the European Commission...

7. Grass Mud Horse
    Paris Hilton

boobs

Looking at the world from China, I often crash into the Wall while trying research something. The most aggravating block used to be Wikipedia, now not getting to blogspot and various picture services up my blood pressure almost daily. YouTube I don't miss that much.

But to be fair, keeping me from someone's opinion about a processor is a side effect. It's the opinions about Hu and Wen (and some other boobs) they want to protect me from. A lot like a child that hopes things will go away by closing its eyes. So all things being equal, Logan's razor applies again: stupidity tops malice. And hey, censorship feeds several 10 thousands of families.

Second thought: what equipment may they be using ... could it be ... Cisco?

1. Stone Fox
      Coat

the phrase you're looking for...

was "Hanlon's razor"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlons_Razor

Oh wait! You can't see wiki? Sorry! If you could you'd probably have checked yourself.

(I'll get my coat)

1. Grass Mud Horse
        Coat

Hanlon

Yeah, you' right. And I could have looked, Wiki is open for over a year (but not Wikileaks, Yikes!). But Logan is much better to memorize at my age ...

Mine is the one with the Gingko pills.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

You do know...

the 'ee' in Neelie sounds like the 'a' in ale?

So Steelie Neelie doesn't actually rhyme.

Cowardly Anonymous Pronunciation Nazi

1. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: You do know...

Yes. And we don't care.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahem, finally applause

"While Russia is not a member of the WTO so there is bugger all you can do when they tell you "Poshel na huj", china is a different matter"

Wedll, the USA is a WTO member too and is at about as protectionist as the two you name; it's also intoi industrial espionage in a big way, allowing its border people to steal whatever information they like from portable devices carried in, with no restrictions at all onm the use made of it. It's also the nastiest state in the world for trying to enforce its laws in external territories, and exact punishment on those who have committed no offence against the laws of the land in which the accused actions took place, and the aritrary power handed to the state over foreigners who are validly in the land is outrageous bu any civilised standards. ANd on top of asll that the just system is noyt about justice, but about prosecurors maximising their supply of broiwnie points.

So why can't Neelie take some action against the worlds worst antisocial totalkitarian idiots (idiots, because the population mostly believe they live in a democracy) instedd of mionor offenders like Cina?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like