back to article IDC convinced data will crush universe

It's May, and IDC has unveiled a doom and gloom Digital Universe predication on behalf of EMC. It talks of quintillions of data containers, saying we face a perpetual tsunami of digital data which will grow 44 fold from 2009 to 2020 as the number of IT professionals grows a mere 1.4 fold over the same period. Oh, woe is us. Oh, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Merlin and Minerva ..... at the Special Operand Officers Mess Ball

Hear, hear ..... Future Memory Leads and is Forever Needed for only One Day , the Glorious ZerodDay Exploit IT was Planned for, and Programmed into Virtually Dynamic Humanoid Machinery. ........... which is an XSSXXXXStream Meme Strain and Thought Train for that Place in Space which Practises the Arts of Transubstantiated Immaculate Transcendental Grace.

Labours of LOVE in the Sanctity of Heaven is a Hell of a Contract and a Magical Gig Distillate.

Please do not judge too harshly the above apparent GBIrish, as it is IT BetaTesting Officers for Offices of Cyber Security, GCHQ...... amongst other things. Thanks.

2. @chuckhollis
    Unhappy

More to it than that ...

Hi Chris

That's funny -- I didn't see the basis for your complaint in the study ...

I read it several times, and never did I see the "claiming of a crisis" which is the basis of your piece here, nor was I able to find a note of "doom and gloom" as you claim. Were you reading something else perhaps?

To be fair, they did point out that information generated would exceed ability to store said information.

And said that proportionally more information would be subject to housekeeping concerns, and that the proportion of underprotected information would increase greatly, and a bunch of similar conclusions.

All very interesting food for thought, in my opinion.

Everybody is entitled to a rant once in a while (including you), but -- in this case -- I think you might want to go back and take a closer look.

-- Chuck

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Ms fnd in a Lbry

http://home.comcast.net/~bcleere/texts/draper.html

The one with 'Analog' in the pocket, thanks!

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

If Only I Could...

...explain that to my desk.

Sometimes I have to hold my 211 in hand because there is no data-free space on the desktop.

5. Sureo
    Pint

No problem

I have always had more computer storage capacity than data to fill it up. Its not for want of me trying; the reason is all those nice hard drive manufacturers who come out with ever larger drives at irresistible prices, at least if you avoid the top of the line models. And what will they do with all those TB I collected during my life? I can't take it with me. They'll just wipe the drives and give them to someone else to fill up. At least at my service they'll say I did my part in this regard.

6. Assumed Name
    Happy

Thank God

I was just about to seek therapy.

Night after night I wake up in a pool of sweat. The nightmare is always the same.

I am standing at a kiosk in a shopping mall.

Asking every passing shopper the same question.

"Are you 18? How would you like a free petabyte of storage?"

Maybe the future of this knuckle-dragging storage guy ain't so bleak after all.

dave nicholson

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

7. Lou 2
    Coffee/keyboard

Its all in the eye of the seller ...

All that is happening is that zillions of marketing droids are been programmed to repeat this message until we get to the tipping point - the earth getting spun of its axle by the petillions of hard drive's centrifugal force working in unison.

You are all doomed! <insert evil laugh>

Dr. Evil.

8. Keris
    FAIL

The missing word

I can't believe that you failed to use the word "Infocalypse". It was invented for just this situation, too much data and not enough time/peope/resources to cope with it. Please make sure to use this word in future articles.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like