back to article Google Maps absorbs Earth view

Google Maps yesterday got a new tab - an "Earth" option which injects all of the meaty goodness of Google Earth into the search monolith's online cartographical offering. Earth view on Google Maps Google explains: "Earth view uses the same technology that powers the Google Earth desktop application. It allows you to view the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jackharrer
    Thumb Down

Rubbish

Have you seen 3d map of Stockholm? That is 3D not that silly attempt to do something that add wireframe models onto flat map.

Check it out: http://www.hitta.se/LargeMap.aspx (then click on 3D and zoom to Stockholm). Best of all, those guys created it in one week of flights over Stockholm.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have to disagree

Can't see anything on there that looks good. Everything looks like it has been drawn on cardboard, cut out by a child and clumsily folded together. A bit like those books you get for kids where you can 'make' a 3d animal.

I admit I have never been to Stockholm so not in a position to judge, it could well be that it really does look that strange!

2. Goat Jam
      FAIL

Checked it out

Got nothing but a grey pane. Assume it requires a proprietary OS and browser to view it.

2. Andy Jones
    Coat

WTF?

What is the Blackpool tower doing in France?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cue..

Cue complaints from Linux and indeed Opera users that they are not supported.

4. Robin

More Privacy Invasion?!

Now what's to stop the terrorists, paedophiles and small-time opportunist thieves planning their attacks in 3D?

5. A J Stiles
    Happy

Does this mean .....

Does this mean no need for the binary-only client anymore?

For one thing, not everyone running Linux is running it on x86 (and no, x86_64 does not count as x86). And for another, I don't trust any software for which I haven't seen the Source Code -- especially if it comes from Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I don't trust any software for which I haven't seen the Source Code"

Well, aren't you a rebel? So, you've personally reviewed all of the source to the linux kernel, all your device drivers, your web browser, the embedded code that runs on your router / wifi access point / monitor / car? And you understand all the technical and security issues in all of that software enough to have made a judgment on its trustworthiness better than the other 99.9999% of users who fail to do so, and who are therefore presumably credulous rubes?

You, sir, are an amazing man. I salute your mega-genius, speed-reading, multidisciplinarian hardass ethos; truly, none have more open-source street cred than you. The only thing missing from your post was an instance or two of "Micro$haft".

2. joshimitsu
      Troll

source code

Do you comb through the source code line by line to make sure you're happy with it?

6. Martin 19
    Thumb Up

3D Birmingham is pretty good

on Google Earth at least (haven't checked on GMaps yet)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terrain map

I'm underwhelmed with this.

By chance, jackharrer, I was looking at Stockholm too as an example, and it's all very flat. It does seem like there's someone trying to make a market in 3D models of your favourite building - Canary Wharf is pretty well built and even has the brands there. Is this another money making advertising space for Google yet?

8. Jambo Widetrousers
    Go

Anaglyph mode...

Has anyone else noticed that StreetView now has a '3D mode on' option on its right click menu - which immediately changes the view to an anaglyph 3D simulation?

Now where are my red/green glasses....

9. GreyCells
    Linux

But only for Mac & Windows....

n/t

10. RW
    Grenade

Terrain view still available

Under "More"

Whew! I use terrain view a great deal, as it happens, in spite of the fact that many of the names sprinkled on it are seriously misplaced or are duplicates or mark a large area with a single point. To say nothing of the innumerable watercourses and lakes that are not marked blue, and that many watercourses, lakes, mountain peaks, and other geographic features are unnamed.

Google may think that Google Maps is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but baby, they've got a long way to go before they get up to an acceptable standard.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Coat

Exactly!

I, for one, will pay them no more money for this product until it has an acceptable feature set!

11. Ivan Headache

I haven't seen it reported anywhere

but streetview has appeared on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Open your contact and select a contact who has a full address entry. Double tap the address and as before, Google Maps will open and drop a pin in the correct place. What is new is that the label on the pin now has 2 extra items. Tapping on the left one enters straight into streetview - and it appears to be faster than on my mac.

This topic is closed for new posts.