back to article BT loses on termination fee back payment

BT is considering its options after losing its claim for hundreds of millions of pounds in overpaid termination fees, despite the Competition Appeals Tribunal ruling in its favour. The Tribunal hearing decided that Ofcom had set the termination rates too high, and that BT was entitled to claim the money back. So BT took …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

BT demand money, told to piss off

Perhaps the mobile companies could present BT with a giant plywood cheque?

2. SynnerCal
    Flame

Damn I'm confused

I can see BT's point, and I think the mobile companies are being a bit mendacious - I'm sure that there's some way to get the money back, e.g. use it as a subsidy to get some rural places upgraded; split it up and give it back to BT's domestic customers as a bill credit.

Certainly I think at the minimum the mobile companies should pay ALL of BT's costs - ideally off their own back, but if the poor customer isn't going to see any money then how about taking the costs out of the refund?

Notice that Three isn't in the list of offenders - maybe because they were lobbying against the high termination rates. (good on them)

Icon because it confuses me to be siding with BT apparently on the side of good for once. (And I've no connection with BT - not even as a customer post-Phorm).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hmmm

As pointed out in the article, somehow I can't imagine BT paying this money back to the customers who footed the bill in the first place. If, somehow, BT do go on to win this one on appeal, then I shall eagerly await the refund cheque in the post for those years when I was a customer of theirs and used my landline on occassion to call mobile phones.

It may be a long wait.

Flames, as it'll be a cold day in hell when BT returns its profits to its customers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Grrrr....

This is complete bollocks from BT, although the termination fee rates were undoubtedly too high, it's the consumers NOT BT who suffered under them. Basically BT are trying to claim back money which they never shelled out in the first place, OUR money!

5. John Dougald McCallum
    Pint

The love of money

etc. An other way round paying this money to BT is for it to be paid to charity say DEC for use as they see fit.Just my twopence

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As if BT would refund...

BT should be renationalised. I'm just some schmo in an LLU area but i have to pay £50+ per month just for internet + mobile, thanks to the aforementioned shower of hoons.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This one will run & run

This is going to be escalated to the highest court in europe, but in order to keep the lawyers happy it will have to go one step at a time. All the while the legal fees will be stacking up on both sides. BT will probably get their money back in the end, but will spend most of it on legal fees. The mobile companies will have made shed loads of interest on the money while it rested in their accounts, but will end up paying all that on legal fees too. And as usual only the legal profession will make any money out of this.

8. Andy Livingstone

Why am I here?

No idea why I even bothered to read the article, ezxcept for the attraction of anything headed "BT loses"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like