back to article Tory defence shadow's laptop nicked

A laptop belonging to Liam Fox, the shadow defence secretary, has been stolen. His car was also taken after thieves broke into his home in Southwark and stole the keys along with the computer and his mobile phone. Police were called to the property at 7.20am this morning but made no arrests. Fox had been at home alone. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Macka

Nowt so gullible as folk

--"Bit unfair to imply that because he has his laptop nicked, that a department that in future he MAY be heading will continue to suffer serious data losses"--

Where have you been hiding recently? Don't you know an election is on and smear season has been declared open? Here's how it works. Take two unrelated facts; bend time and space to create an otherwise impossible link between the pair of them; then point a finger at your hapless victim and shout your slush from the top of the nearest roof top. Finally, stand back and watch the brainless lemmings suck it up like it was gospel. Job done.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Along with the car?

It's a new twist on an old favourite.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

hmmmm i wonder was this a preventable crime

Maybe if Police investigated all Crimes from Vehicles then maybe it wouldn't happen so much.

When my Lappy got stolen the Plod told me 'We don't even bother investigating these crimes because they happen so often'

I want a Police Force to defend the Public not comply in our oppression.

Anon Obviously...

Although! Is there such a thing now? Did the DEP have a section that said Anonymous Cowards are to be revealed on The Reg!

4. moonface
    FAIL

Good lesson to backup your data.

Bit unfair to imply that because his laptop was nicked, that a department that in future he MAY be heading will continue to suffer serious data losses.

I presume it's his personal laptop, so he doesn't need to tell the media whats on it.

OK we know that he doesn't backup his important 'Armed forces manifesto' or the Conservative party appears so unorganised, that they can't supply him with a quick replacement laptop. Now that is worrying. Though not surprising.

Future departmental data losses, it's all conjecture, just as this theft would never have happened under a Conservative government, what with all those extra bobbies on the beat...blah.blah..blah

5. Craig 12

Hmmmm

This close to the election and his manifesto launch, quite the coincidence...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tit

Single breast icon please?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Plot

Our current leader ordered MI5 to steal it.

Yes it'll be encrypted for such a senior post. Honest. We'll never know I guess.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aha...

So if the Conservatives get in, it will be business as usual then.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ah well,

business as usual then, eh?

10. spezzer

As my esteemed colleague says...

...it is the owners responsibility to ensure the safety and the security of the data, in line with the goverments information policy. If the police should arrest anyone it should be Liam Wothisface!

11. Erudition

Was it encrypted?

The key question is whether he was using an adequate level of data encryption. If so, this could be a real publicity coup, but if not (as I suspect), it'll show the Conservatives as being just as bad as those in power at the moment, who have been leaking data left, right and centre...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laptop encryption

My phone and laptop both receive my e-mail (secure) which can contain various security levels - although not SECRET or TOP SECRET which I'm assuming may have been on his laptop.

Both are very encrypted and have to be (as specified in the job). If my laptop was stolen the HD is useless without the decryption keys. Likewise for the phone (and that locks every 20 seconds). The storage on the phone also has encryption (from switch on).

Hopefully the government laptops are even higher security. Surprised his manifesto wasn't backed up remotely to a central backup or something....

Without sounding too much like a conspiracy theorist - does sound a little fishy that it happens the night before the launch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's not in power...

...so hopefully there will be no SECRET or TOP SECRET information on his PC.

How do you encrypt the storage on your phone ? Is there an App for that ?

BTW - the NSA can extract and decode all the information on your PC in a short period of time no matter which country you are from.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Dodgy Dossier

So the spooks are doing Liebour's bidding once more....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like