back to article Fanboi's delight - the top ten free iPad apps

Either you just bought an iPad and you wallet is now depleted, you're thinking of buying one and you'd like to know how you can stuff it with apps for zero dollars, or you're simply curious about how free iPad apps compare with free iPhone apps. Or you're merely intrigued by the whole media-fed iPad hysteria. In any case, The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. windywoo
    Jobs Halo

A true fanboy

Pays for his apps and tips his hat to Mr. Jobs while he does it. Thank you Mr. Jobs for lightening m wallet, because if what I am paying for isn't expensive, it must be low quality, second rate. I couldn't get my work done if I didn't pay through the nose for the tools.

2. martinX

War and Peas on an iPohone

"We just finished War and Peace on our iPhone". Why? A Bet?

3. Roger Heathcote 1
    Jobs Horns

Oh yeah?

"Either you just bought an iPad and you wallet is now depleted, you're thinking of buying one and you'd like to know how you can stuff it with apps for zero dollars, or you're simply curious about how free iPad apps compare with free iPhone apps."

Really I'm so none of those things - yawn!

1. Andrew Newstead

Oh really?

Then why post?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Then why post?

Because you touch yourself at night.

1. Andrew Newstead

Oh really?

Well my shower is only big enough for one person so I have to touch myself - least I'm honest about it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Afternoon delight?

For some reason the title of this post made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eplbDbp6XJQ

Ron Burgandy would sort out all this 'fanboy/fanboi' nonsense. Never has a single word been so overused than this one in the past week.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@the @twitter @username

Damn, it's too long

6. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Jobs Horns

Holy Jeebus

Look at what I am missing out on not buying one of these...

7. PaulR79
    Thumb Down

Full screen fart apps?

I hate the purile humour of these things more than most but I'm wondering how long it takes (took?) before the first iPad fart app appears (appeared?)

1. Pigeon
      Thumb Up

Fartipedia

I can't wait for the Definitive library of fart sounds, with category etc. I'm not holding my breath. Only the great M. Pujol could have created this, and he's long gone into the great cloud in the sky.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

There's no such word

as addicting. I expected better from El Reg than to succumb to the most annoying grammatical error on the the internet. The correct word is addictive, not addicting and the increasing use of the latter is really starting to piss me off for some reason. Of course, if you are using it ironically then that's cool, otherwise buy and read a dictionary.

1. TheGrapesy

Technically...

...there is such a word as addicting.

'iPad games are addicting players across the globe'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Technically

I suggest you read AC's post again. He doesn't say there's no such word as addicting, he says the use of it was gramatically incorrect.

1. TheGrapesy

Really?

If he's not saying there's no such word as addicting, why does his post start with 'There's no such word as addicting'? Not sure I'm the one who needs to read it again ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

@AC 2

"He doesn't say there's no such word as addicting...."

I see. So which part of "There's no such word as addicting", does he not say?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

@TheGrapesy

Or if you wanted to use correct English, you could say,

"players across the globe are becoming addicted to iPad games"

There is indeed no such word as 'addicting'.

It is not the games that are performing the action. Ergo, the games are not 'addicting' the players.

The victim is not (usually) passive in an addiction. It is due to their behavior that they become addicted.

An object can be addictive, which means it is easier for people to become addicted to it. The addictiveness is a property - there is no verb form of the word, only adjectival and noun forms.

1. TheGrapesy

Sorry...

...but Addicting -is- a word. Granted, 99 times out of 100 it's used incorrectly, but the word does exist and can be used.

Take the word 'abuse' as an example. 'The husband was caught abusing his wife' - 'the husband was abusive to his wife' - 'the husband abused his wife'.

'Addicting' is also listed in the OED, which to me is far more reliable a proof than someone just saying it doesn't exist.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

More to the point...

The word isn't "unexplainable", it's "inexplicable".

9. SkippyBing

Weatherbug

Seems horribly inaccurate if it thinks Da Nang airport is in Kowloon rather than Vietnam...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Drunk

The thesaurus doesn't seem to offer "pissed" or "tired and emotional" as synonyms for drunk.

11. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Unhappy

Dragon Dictation..

somebody please get them to pull their fingers out from their rear orifices and release it in the UK already!!!!!!

12. James Pickett (Jp)
    Thumb Up

Evernote = Awesome

Couldn't live without it. The Windows app is superb, especially for web clipping and the Android app to send pictures, notes and audio memos is equally handy.

I've no immediate plans to buy an ipad, but I think the instant on nature of the thing would definitely help me get even more convenience out of Evernote.

13. jwlynch

Best Free iPad Apps & Games

Good list. I did an expanded version that might be helpful to those looking for iPad Apps.

The 25 Best Free iPad Apps

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/04/03/the-25-best-free-ipad-apps/

These might also interest readers:

The 25 Best Free iPad Games

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/04/07/the-25-best-free-ipad-games/

The Best eBook App for iPad: iBooks or Amazon Kindle?

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/04/05/the-best-ebook-app-for-ipad-ibooks-or-amazon-kindle/

14. Ivan Headache

One of the problems of having

an American review a world weather app is that geography is not a particularly strong subject in the USA.

However, given America's military history, I would expect it to be common knowledge that Da Nang is in Vietnam, not in the mainland part of Hong Kong.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

@Ivan Headache

"...given America's military history" they've probably been desperately trying to forget where it is for quite some time now.

15. John_C
    Go

Too heavy? Really?

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these at some point but several reviews I've read say it's too heavy to use as a book reader for extended periods because it weighs 700g.

That didn't seem very heavy to me, plus my wife is hogging the bathroom and I'm bored, so I grabbed the book I'm currently reading and got the kitchen scales out.

Turns out 700g is what a hardback copy of Pratchett's "Night Watch" weighs and that's a relatively small (364 page) hardback book. I certainly don't find it too heavy to hold comfortably for an extended period of reading, so I'm not sure why an iPad would be too heavy?

1. chr0m4t1c

Because

The SI unit for measurement of an eBook reader is a "Paperback" or pB.

Much like the SI unit for measure of a large areas is a "Wales" or W.

I've not done the calculations myself, but I guess Kindle = 1.2pB and iPad=2.9pB being about 2.4 times heavier than the Kindle (roughly).

16. /dev/me
    Thumb Up

To paraphrase Woody Alen...

I just finished reading War and Peace on my iPhone; it's about Russia.

17. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

SWF?

Did I spot SWF as a supported filetype in Box? Does this mean there's a way to view Flash on the iPad...?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

It is an interesting list

And I thought I might qualify as a fanboy but there you go.

My must haves will be:

MobileMe

(make iPad share the same data as my iPhone and Macs)

Pages

Numbers

and possibly Keynote

Now I can understand why Draw or an app that does pixel artwork might on the face of it seem attractive but why oh why oh why no free vector based artwork app?

Pixel drawing is beset by nudges, blobs, swift/slow bits, differences in pressure affecting scale (or so I imagine).

A lovely vector artwork app something between Creature House Expression 3.3 and Adobe Fireworks would be lovely.

Double tap on a node to adjust it,

single tap on a node or a path to select object,

double tap on a path segment to select the path segment

change strokes, colours, fills in an easy-peasy intuitive way with related panel/pallet flying out automatically.

And from the same boss that runs Pixar?

C'mon Mr Jobs.

(ps - I'd also lurve the iPad to dual function as a touch sensitive drawing tablet echoing all or zoomed in bit of artwork. Perhaps in generation 2 or 3?)

Now, does that now get me firmly classified as a fanboi?

On the other hand, el reg's top ten freebies tend to have me running the other way so I cannot possibly be a fanboi at all at all?

19. Doug Glass
    Go

Oh Yeah ....

... this is some good stuff. But so are dog turds to tumble bugs.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

best app ever, make your ipad useful and 100% more functional

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Windows-95-iPad-Apple-Microsoft,news-33197.html

21. Paul Hates Handles
    Coat

Nice...

...iVories. Pun-tastic.

22. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

Words & Weather

So El Reg and Dictionary.com think "Set" is among the most versatile words in the English language.

Personally I always thought "f**k" was among the most versatile words in the English language e.g. You can f**k off if you think I’m going to buy a f**king piece of f**king crap like that i-f**king-pad.

See, you can't really do that with "set".

Paris; who also like versatile words.

1. Polish Nick
      IT Angle

Setting Hell!

@Field Marshal - oh yes you can:

This set of nonsense sets off attempting to set a world record for the most useless set of pages ever set in print. If you honestly think I'm going to set off down to the shops and join the fanboy-set salivating over the iPad whils waiting for my strawberry jelly to set and the bank to get back to me about setting up a DD to Mr Jobs then you are out of your tiny setting mind. Game set and match.

Hmm. On reflection, maybe you're right. F**k.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

remind me again what it's for?

So basically it lets me do things that either (a) I only want to do while i'm on my pc, or (b) are easier to do in the "old fashioned" way

hmm, gotta get me one of them

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So....

It has apps that you really couldn't do with 5 seconds of your time and google... And then bookmark to revisit instantly </sarcasm>

It has no keyboard, so typing involves obscuring half the screen with a virtual one.

It has no mouse or off screen navigation device, so to do anything you have to put your finger right in the way of the thing you want to accurately hit

It has bad wifi and no ethernet

So it's lower speced and less flexible than a netbook but costs more...

Nope, sorry, still don't get it.

At least if it worked as a phone Dom Joly could justify it!

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/d2b714361c/hello

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@AC

"It has no mouse or off screen navigation device, so to do anything you have to put your finger right in the way of the thing you want to accurately hit"

Yes. It's called 'touching', and as far as I'm aware it's not a new phenomenon, nor one unique to the iPad.

I'm surprised you even managed to press the correct keys while typing your comment, because surely your unhelpfully opaque digits get "right in the way of the thing you want to accurately hit"?

I can understand people having genuine issues with the iPad, but by desperately attempting to find faults even where there aren't ones, you simply undermine any good points that you may have made.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTwat

It is just a mirror for fanbois.

26. Tom 7

For the price of an Ipiddle

you can get several of these

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/WePad-Offene-iPad-Alternative-ohne-Preisdiktat-und-Zensur-976053.html

I think - I no sprakensie thingy

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Apps?

Seems like most of the apps in the top 10 are just websites you can access in any old browser on any old device.

28. This post has been deleted by its author

29. Rob Moss.
    Thumb Up

but...

Does it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

30. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

So, in totality...

It's just another platform for viewing the same old tired internet based applications. Oh... or for playing games.

I can't see how this can be classed as "revolutionary" in any way. But then I can quite clearly see through the fog of form over function, unlike most Apple devotards.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like