back to article Google pushes out Chrome 5 beta for Windows

Google has released a new Windows-based beta of its Chrome browser to its developer channel. The Chrome 5.0.360.0 release comes with several bug fixes and a new tabbed bookmark manager, which was slotted into Google's Chromium code last week. Google had previously provided the bookmark manager as a separate window, which some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ray 11
    Flame

But does it have a warning when closing multiple tabs?

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=147"

2. jonathan rowe
    Happy

print preview PLEASE

please!

3. KenBW2

Wot? No screenshot?

Call this a review?!

4. wislam
    Black Helicopters

Why did Google release yet another browser into the market?

There was absolutely no reason for Google to release yet-another-browser in the market, given that Firefox is far ahead of anyone else in terms of web standards (one of the biggest reasons why Mozilla / Gecko was created) and Opera ahead in terms of speed / memory footprint / browser innovations (such as tabbed browsing / mouse gestures / etc).

Why didn't Google simply contribute to the Gecko / WebKit project?

Similarly to Google Android, they did minimal effort by taking existing code and effort and created a similar product to further listen-in on people and to electronically tag individuals.

Take a close look at Google's privacy policy and how they can use data on individuals however they wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#Privacy

Then take a look at the technologies from Google, i.e. GMail, Google Maps, Google blogger, YouTube, Orkut, Google Desktop, Google Health, Google DNS, Android, Chrome, etc.

There's no doubt that Google is an innovative company, but their recent offerings, particularly Health, Orkut, DNS and delving into the OS and Web Browser market should really make people think about what they're up to.

Fundamentally, Chrome is nothing more than Safari re-branded.

1. fattybacon

Take an acid tab and relax

Firefox isn't 'far ahead of anyone else in terms of web standards', in fact it doesn't pass the Acid3 tests. Try this one in Firefox

http://acid3.acidtests.org/

and again in Chrome, and Chrome passes with flying colours. For added fun try it in IE8 for a lorra laffs.

I'm not saying Chrome's ability to pass tests means anything, but then I never said it was far ahead of anyone else.

5. maxki
    Boffin

Eh ?

joy of joys,

Google pushes itself out of the window .!?

Must clean my glasses

6. Clive Williams
    Grenade

Aw, snap

Let's hope it's more stable than Chrome 4 - it crashes more on me than IE, and that's saying something. And with its sandbox system, how is it when it does crash, more often than not it takes my PC out too?

And yes, I've reported reproducable crash bugs to google... to the sound of tumbleweed blowing across the screen. Next version = Aw, snap too. Don't know why I bother. Grenade icon, because at least you get 10 seconds warning before it goes bang.

This topic is closed for new posts.