back to article Alleged spy traitor's bail bid blocked

A former MI6 officer who allegedly attempted to sell Top Secret computer files to what he thought was a foreign intelligence agency has had his bail application rejected. Westminster magistrates remanded Daniel Houghton, 25, from Finsbury Park, on an Official Secrets Act charge and a Theft Act charge until a further hearing on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Desk Jockey
    WTF?

To the Dutch???

Apart from the obvious question of "why the hell would the Dutch even be interested?" has the little cretin never heard of the fact that nearly all Western intelligence agencies actually co-operate with each other? It is like robbing one Post Office and then going to another one down the road to deposit your ill gotten gains, only with a higher chance of getting caught!

Just goes to show that their recruitment standards have really gone downhill in recent years when they have people this stupid working there. To be honest, I never did rate their outsourced recuitment agencies very much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

...it was top secret information about Britain's plan to use genetic engineering to breed a super-race of anthem trance DJs.

2. Manolo
      Thumb Down

Re: To the Dutch???

Where exactly in the article do you read he was trying to sell information to the Dutch? It states that he thought he was selling to an unspecified foreign intelligence service. That the tip came from the Dutch does not necessarily imply he was trying to sell to the Dutch.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

hahahahahaha

I initially thought the FSB would now be on friendly terms with SiS, but going to the Dutch, that is really a sign of total stupidity.

When was the last time Holland wanted to wage war on Britain ? During the time of Admiral DeRuyter or something ?

I personally saw a Dutch frigate named "Admiral DeRuyter" in Portsmouth harbour, but it was not exactly a landing boat attacking Blighty. Rather, it was doing a friendly visit.

This guy should be transferred into the Mentally Challenged Ward.

3. Anonymous Swineherd
    Black Helicopters

One word: Edam.

Disgusting stuff, but try buying it in Holland - you can't find it. They export it all. And most of it ends up in our schools and institutions. Meanwhile they keep all the decent cheese (and weed, and pr0n) for themselves.

And you thought the Dutch were our friends. Well, now you know. Now you know! Mmmuuahahahaha!

1. The Other Steve
      Coffee/keyboard

Fortunately

<--- I have spares.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

There's only two things I hate in this world...

...People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

5. disgruntled yank

The Dutch?

What was he selling, Samuel Pepys Admiralty notes?

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Race of Giants amongst Minnows and Man

Quite obviously, from the information extracted from the metadata in the comments shared here, are the Dutch virtually completely unknown to you. And that unknown fact makes them the Perfect Partner for any Spooky and/or Stealthy and/or Special and/or Underground and/or Global Operation.

And only the comment shared by Anonymous Swineherd [Posted Friday 26th March 2010 16:53 GMT] prevents one from truly revealing that they are completely unknown to you, for it would be wrong to argue and disagree with "Meanwhile they keep all the decent cheese (and weed, and pr0n) for themselves." and their very dear friends?

"He was arrested on March 1 at a central London hotel after allegedly accepting a briefcase containing £900,000 from MI5 counter-espionage officers posing as foreign intelligence." ..... For which leadership with faltering and/or inadequate foreign intelligence is the most interesting information missing in the tale, Chris.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Seriously?

The...Dutch? Exactly what was going on in this guys head?

Although...maybe I just don't hang in the right circles in Amsterdam. I've always wanted to be a spy.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's what you get when you don't sell bank details

Well sorry, that's just stupid. I mean, if you go and steal something, steal bank details. Not only will you not end up in jail, you will even get a new identity and cash thrown in because somehow the law does not apply there (the Dutch have bought bank data too).

A tip, though, if you're dealing with the UK, do not accept an ID card for your new identity. That would be dumb too..

9. Jason Yau
    Thumb Up

Who needs to work at MI6 to get secret information

Just look for it on your next train journey

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like