back to article SanDisk flips out 32GB mobile phone card

SanDisk has announced a 32GB Micro SDHC Flash memory card for mobile phones. The company claims it's the highest capacity available in the format and says it's built using a 3-bit multi-layer cell flash technology based on a 32nm process. The Micro SDHC format measures 15 x 11 x 1mm, making a dud card a possible nail extension …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Kirman

"For mobile phones" ?

Can these cards not be used in other devices?

1. Brutus

Sure

But you'll struggle to find something that uses that form factor other than a phone. Frequently these things are supplied with a USB or SD adapter- I have an SD adapter for transferring music files to my N97.

1. Jerome 0

Just phones?

"But you'll struggle to find something that uses that form factor other than a phone."

No I won't, I just have to look in my pocket - oh look, a Sansa Clip+ MP3 player. Goodness knows how many other devices there might be which take a micro-SD card, but aren't currently in my pocket.

2. The Indomitable Gall

Are you suggesting...

Are you suggesting this might work in the SDHC slot on my MP3 player or eReader? Heresy!!!

2. D@v3

I'm sure they can, but...

Can you suggest a device that would need 32gb of storage, that takes micro sd cards, that is not a phone.

The only things i can think of, either wouldn't need that much removable storage, or do not 'generally' take such (physically) small media.

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Thumb Down

sansa clip

I'm sure it would look very nice in my sansa clip mp3 player. Or my Safa R700C recorder.

oh look, there is such a thing as a VTec MD80 Micro Digital Video Camera. That uses micro sd

2. Matt 13

howabout...

my MD80 micro video camera?? Currently using an 8gb micro SD card... although im not sure that id ever need to record over 8hours in one go!

3. Chris Welton

MB or GB?

"They can be had for around $50 but SanDisk want you to part with $200 (£133) for the 32MB product, about $6.25/GB."

You gotta sort out those MBs from the GBs!

4. idasben
    Stop

Typo I assume...

"(£133) for the 32MB product"

That is just a tad pricey, think i got a 32mb card with a phone about 3 years ago, for free! These companies now, bit of a credit crunch then in recovery they just charge what they like....

5. Tom Chiverton 1

other devices

Yeah, they work fine. But the tiny form factor is just an arse in most cases.

6. An nonymous Cowerd
    Black Helicopters

tiny form factor

allows the 32gb microSD to fit neatly inside a hollowed-out Euro/Pound/Dollar.

the hollow pound is quite expensive at around 30 dollars from spy-coins.makersmarket.com, I guess their mailing list is now carefully watched!

Plus this is no doubt highly illegal, isn't it still treason to deface The Queen's currency??

rumour has it that one in 5 pound coins is already a dud, but is it a hollow dud???

However the UPCOMING IN 2010 ACTA free trade agreement may render stop and seize of all digital data/code/mp3/mp4 a requirement at every border crossing, though this might be my misconception.

"Oh sorry officer, I accidentally carry all my 'secret' data inside a coin - faraday cage - doesn't everyone?".

Anyway , a coin is less corrosive than the old 'microSD wrapped in clingfilm/saranwrap kept in the mouth' stunt.

('ta to SchneierBlog for the empty cash)

7. John.Kotches

Bit arithmetic...

"The company has four-bit MLC technology, implying that it could increase the card's capacity by a third in the future. "

Adding a bit doubles the capacity. From 2^3 per cell (8 values) to 2^4 (16 values). This doesn't raise it by a third, it raises it by 100%. I am assuming that the size of a 4-bit cell is identical to a 3-bit cell. I don't know that to be factual. It may be marginally larger.

1. Nexox Enigma

Nice math...

"""Adding a bit doubles the capacity. From 2^3 per cell (8 values) to 2^4 (16 values). This doesn't raise it by a third, it raises it by 100%. I am assuming that the size of a 4-bit cell is identical to a 3-bit cell. I don't know that to be factual. It may be marginally larger."""

No, adding a bit doubles the largest number that you can store. If you have a 1TB harddrive, and you add a bit, does it become a 2TB harddrive, or a very slightly larger 1TB drive?

Storage capacity is literally the number of bits that you've got, and moving from 3 to 4 bits per cell (assuming same cell density) would get you exactly 1/3 more capacity.

8. A 15

64GB next year??

Me being pedantic as usual, but the maximum capacity of a SDHC card is 32GB (limited by the sd 2.0 specification, rather than the addressing). If sandisk created a new card next year with a 64GB capacity, it would be a newer specification SD 3.0 used in SDXC. The problem being that you would probably need some new hardware to support the larger capacity.

9. cowbutt
    FAIL

SDHC limited to 32GB

The SDHC spec is limited to 32GB, so support for >32GB cards will probably be hit-and-miss. SDXC goes to 2TB, but that requires different hardware, rather than just a firmware upgrade.

10. OkKTY8KK5U

Announced? Again?

32GB MicroSDHC has been "announced" and "shipping real soon now" for a while now. A basic google search can find posts on SanDisk's own forum, whining about this being promised for the first half of 2009. So "announced" means exactly the same thing here as "up to fifty percent off," or, in other words, absolutely nothing.

This is precisely the opposite of either news or helpful, unless these things are actually shipping and available in stores literally right now.

11. Matthew Malthouse
    Coat

Back in the day....

Does no one feel even the slightest awe at what is produced these days?

Tried a rough comparison with the first data device I ever owned, an Apple HD20SC. If you could put enough of them together (which you couldn't, but this is a game) to equal this storage you'd have to have 1,639 of them, that'd make a cube just over 2 meters on a side and if running would consume 10 KW.

Try putting that in a phone. :)

Yeah, mine's the one draped over the Zimmer frame, thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like