back to article Windows 7 speculation claims SP1 will land in Q4 2010

Microsoft has pulled the release of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 forward to the final quarter of this year, according to a speculative report. The company hasn't officially announced when it plans to squirt out SP1 for its current operating system, but that hasn't stopped the rumours from swirling around the interwebs. The latest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adverts?

Maybe they can stop those terrible adverts by then?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Adverts?

"I'm a PC and waiting for the first Service Pack before installing an OS upgrade was my idea."

1. Natty
        Coat

My idea

I'm a Mac and Windows 7 was my idea.

2. David Austin

Meh

Unlike Windows Vista at this stage of it's lifetime, Windows 7 doesn't feel like it's in dire need of a service pack. It'll come when it comes.

What we could do with, however, is a Security Rollup pack for Windows XP - the amount of Updates for a fresh SP3 Install is getting ridiculous.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

Beat me to it

Damn. Only four posts, and yours beat me to this. I whole-heartedly agree on both points, except that I would prefer an actual SP4 for XP (and SP3 for 2003/XPx64) versus a simple SR.

Paris, needs a quick roll-up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

just because you haven't got problems doesn't mean nobody has

The fiasco around EDID/active DDC/KVM/multiple monitors has yet to be resolved.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/84f41660-1933-4109-9b13-1ea8a1c27be7/#1fc3d83a-3c20-4d0b-9759-438eee03799c

If a service pack is the way forward, it can't come soon enough.

3. Is it Friday yet?
    Joke

Re: Adverts?

Rejected ideas for Windows 7 adverts:

Hi. I'm Kate Mcann, and leaving the windows open was my idea.

Hi. I'm Joseph Fritzel, and not having windows was my idea.

Hi. I'm Harvey Price, and licking windows was my idea.

1. John F. Jackson
      Joke

Another reject

"Hi, I'm Bill, and leaving Windows before Vista was my idea."

4. DEAD4EVER
    Go

windows 7 sp1 speculation

ive have had windows 7 on for a couple of months now havent really done much on it just general surfing the odd game here and there and it runs pretty well i havent had it crash the only thing i think needs improving is internet explorer i have ie8 on and it does slow down and can sometimes lockup then unlock itself now and then but really microsoft are gonna need to improve it alot other than that the os is great better than vista as i tried vista on my same system and it just wasnt good enough as for 7 well i say release a sp1 for it then maybe it will tempt people to move

5. Phil Rigby
    Happy

@David

I agree with you - is there anything so wrong with Win 7 yet that it actually needs a SP? So far it seems really, really stable to me (for an MS system anyway).

6. The Mighty Biff
    Unhappy

Start Menu

Ooo. Maybe it'll let me get an XP style Start Menu, instead of the god forsaken thing that I'm saddled with. Why can't I create my own folders, or change the order that things appear ? That's progress for you.

Bah. A small prize for anyone that shows me the way to enlightenment.

7. Lunatik
    WTF?

Service Packs ain't what they used to be...

Back in the day, service packs were important as they ensured everyone got the fixes and fingers-for-the-dam that some might be without, if they weren't obsessive about manually downloading and installing patches As such they were important and the odd (or huge, in the case of XP SP2) extra service/utility thrown in just sweetened the deal and made installation compelling...eventually at least.

However, in these Windows Update times, a service pack just isn't bringing much to the party as just about everyone's Windows install is (should be?) patched to the hilt.

And as I recall Microsoft stating that they were not keen on including any significant new functionality in future service packs, the installation of a service pack seems like a bit a belt & brace operation nowadays, rather than any reason to become engorged.

1. Fuzz

loads of extra fixes in service packs

Service packs contain lots of fixes that aren't part of the normal monthly patching schedule. e.g. WPA2 support for XP was part of SP3 and although released previously as a patch it was never available through windows update.

The other important point about a service pack is that it allows you to perform a clean installation of windows with all the relevant patches to date included.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Confused

I'm confused - shouldn't this be SP3? I mean, really, 7 is SP2 for Vista, so that would make SP1 for 7 SP3 no? Math is hard.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Service pack is out NOW

If you really want your computer to perform better then use the "update" disk marked "Linux install". Some of your software won't work but your system will be more secure and less prone to crashing...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

W7/SP1

I've been using Win7 since RC, now using RTM. I use Photoshop, Virtual PC, Visual Studio and MS Office 2007 and IE8. Not yer have I experienced a single app or OS crash. Had some web sites that have caused IE8 to force a recovery and on closer inspection most of these have been due to poorly developed sites.

Win 7's statbility is impressive. I'm sure there are things in it that could be improved so an eventual SP will be welcomed, but there's no immediate need for one.

11. Hani Jabr

Customers obviously come first...

So customers obviously come first with MS, hence why they get a service pack after only 14 months.

Customers come last with Apple, hence why the third service pack for snow leopard is expected any day now.

And don't get me started about how much Linux developers must hate their users - users of Linux get fixes immediately.

What a crazy bunch of backward-thinking apologists...

12. Milkfloat
    Gates Halo

Marketing?

Surely this is just a marketing exercise to push all the corporate customers onto Win 7 from XP. Afterall so many companies say 'we don't upgrade an OS until after the first SP'. This will encourage the companies to move to Win 7.

13. Grant 5
    WTF?

@ Wednesday 10th March 2010 10:02 GMT

"just because you haven't got problems doesn't mean nobody has "

of course in an OS as widely used as Windows and with so many available devices a few people in millions having a problem with a couple of devices is a pretty good success rate ;) I'm sure all 20 desktop linux users will have something to say about that, i'm one of them but it appears i'm the only one that isn't delusional.

14. WinHatter
    WTF?

SP1 will land in Q4 2010

or is it "SP1 will crash land in Q4 2010" ?

I don't deny or confirm W7 is working great, as I'm not using it, but will it take that long (Q4) before W7 emits some creaks at the seams???

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like