back to article Pixel Qi sunlight-readable colour e-paper inbound

Pixel Qi - the 'Qi' is pronounced 'chee' - the company behind a type of e-paper that's not only colour and able to cope with video but is also claimed to be fully readable in bright sunlight, will be making screens available to hardware hackers by the end of June. PQ's first offering will be a 10.1in display ideally suited to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Indomitable Gall
    Unhappy

Terminological confusion

I appreciate that a transflective screen is effectively a single sheet, hence the e-paper tag, but when you talk about e-paper, most people think of persistent e-ink. I certainly did, right up until you started talking about LCDs.

It sounds like a great technology (and I'm hoping they'll release a kit for the original eeePC as I'd love to eke a few more hours out of my battery), but I don't think the term e-paper helps to clarify things for the reader, and incorrect user expectations could lead the tech to a premature grave....

2. It'sa Mea... Mario
    WTF?

Titles should be optional in forums!

"PQ's screen also relies on the right mix of display coatings to make sure that colours aren't washed out by sunlight."

In that case that picture is not doing it any justice!

3. Tom 7

But where does the DRM fit?

surely this needs DRM and a vast infrastructure of lawyers to make it work.

If I can convert my netbook into a low power e-reader I must be some kind of copyright violator surely?

4. Harry

Its a colour screen but ...

... they promote it with a MONOchrome (blue and white) illustration ... ???

5. Fred 5

ePaper?

I may have missed it but does this screen hold its display without power? If not, then as far as I'm concerned it's just a low power LCD screen and not ePaper.

6. abigsmurf

relatively interested

Hoping they can do a 6-8" version with a resolution better than 800 x 600. Current e-readers have stagnated a bit in terms of screen tech.

This topic is closed for new posts.