back to article Apple revises iPad ship date

Apple has missed its deadline. The iPad will go on sale in the US not in "late March" but early April, the company has admitted. To be fair, the release day is Saturday, 3 April, so only three days past its deadline. The good news is that the company will begin taking orders on Friday, 12 March. On that day, you'll be able to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Skeletor

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!!

2. Steve Todd
    Stop

Putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5

Apple's US site has announced that they will be taking pre-orders on the 12th for a shipping date of the 3rd of April. The UK site hasn't changed at all, still stating shipping at the end of March. While it's unlikely that the iPad will ship in the UK first, what is much more likely is that UK marketing haven't decided about pre-order dates and pricing yet. No announcement, with over 4 weeks to run to the US shipping date, doesn't mean that they're going to be delayed in the UK.

3. Jelliphiish
    Badgers

i can tell you exactly what i'll pay for an ipad

nowt.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

It would be appropriate

If they released it 2 days earlier.

5. max allan

I don't believe

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/04/analyst_ipad_manufacturing_problem_ii_electric_boogaloo/

Foxconn claimed they were on target....

I'll believe in the iPad when I see one.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Who knew?

That releasing a large iPod touch would be so troublesome!

7. Marc 25
    Flame

price

in line with previous Apple currence conversion rates...$499 in US means £499 sterling...

that is all.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Magic sells

According to Tim Cook, you will buy one because of the magic. So the capabilities are quite irrelevant.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190134/apple_ipad_will_beat_netbooks_with_magic.html

They are already advertising on E4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx2mzm1QVw&feature=related

Let's see how log we have to wait before we get our hands on this magi-cool thing.

And a warning to copy cats. Apple has intenvted the act of selling goods by means of magic and if you try to steal this invention as well, you'll have to pay for it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ah damn damn, I can't wait that long!

... Guess I'll have to use my MacBook Pro instead ...

... and read a dead tree book ...

... and watch a movie on a massive TV ...

... and play some amazing games on my Xbox ...

... failing that, I could actually go *outside* for a walk! ...

Life is just so unfair!

iPad?

It's a big iTouch that'll make your neck hurt after 20 minutes of use, will run out of batteries half way through chapter three - if by then you haven't got a raging headache to accompany the neck ache.

10. Rolf Howarth

End of April

Apple's press release makes everything clear: initial wifi version will be available in USA only on 3 April, with the 3G version version following at the end of April. Both WiFi and 3G versions will be launched together in other main markers (UK, France, Germany etc.) at the end of April, probably at the same time as the 3G release in the USA.

I still stand by my prediction that the WiFi version will be £399 inc VAT in the UK (I guess if the pound plummets further in the next few weeks that could increase slightly but I doubt it - Apple like nice round numbers). Apple will probably announce firm UK dates and pricing in a week or two, to keep it in the news and build up a sense of anticipation. And once it's released and people see it in the flesh the iPad will sell like hotcakes.

1. Danington the Third
      Badgers

Pricing

Word on UK pricing will actually be announced when the iPad begins to take preorders in the US. At least according to the press release engadget posted :)

11. Thomas 18
    Boffin

Honey I blew up the iTouch

the giganto lazer apparently stopped working. Thats the problem with mad science its so unreliable.

12. Karl Smith

Really?

A ship date slips by three days - three fucking days - and this is news?

13. Muckminded
    Dead Vulture

Only Successful Shops...

That all of you whine about? Or, do you go door to door also?

14. Nic 3
    Jobs Halo

The more I think about it

The more I think Apple are going to do very very well with the iPad. I agree that the market on the face of it looks a little thin but then I talk to non-technical people and what they want is a device that will get them on the net, allow them to email, browse their photos & vids. It fits this market perfectly and its weaknesses to techies are actually its strengths.

1) No multi-tasking. Brilliant! People like my wife can't clog it up with 1600 open applications and moan about it jamming up. Also support requirements will be so much lower as a result. Most non-techies couldn't care less about multi-tasking.

2) No full OS. Good again. No Viruses (okay, yet...) Gentle and short learning curve. Also means for almost instant screen on use rather than slow sleep modes.

I see two strong audiences. Those who would rather not use a PC (of which there are loads. My mum for one) but want access to the net and their media. The second audience is people like me. I've worked all day in front of a computer but in the evenings I might want to look something up or check my email. Right now I normally do that with my iPhone despite having a laptop in the room because its instant, convenient and a pleasure to use. The ONLY issue I have with the iPhone for that purpose is the size of the screen. The iPad on the other hand will be perfect for this type of thing.

Those that claim the fact that you have to hold it up with your hand is a real problem surely must see that is a bit of a daft issue to have with the tablet concept. As an exercise I have flattened my laptop on my lap and written this message. No real inconvenience to do. Also holding such a device for reading is going to be no harder than holding a decent sized book.

Anyway, I am sure I will get plenty of abuse for being pro iPad on The Register but I can live with that.

15. An nonymous Cowerd

several

by the end of 2010 I think I will own several iPaddies, they are *perfect family computers*.

As i don't need the webcam, I'll wait 'till November when the iPadV2 is released then buy the previous model (the yet to be released 32GB wifi only) on the refurb store for a decent price.

will it be http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac or http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod ??

This has previously worked for various MacBook's plastic & Alu , AppleTV's and iPod touches etc you name it.

I've just got the £30 quid WinPro7 64bit EMEA DVD Upgrade running on the 2008 MB, which isn't specified for 64bit WIn7 Bootcamp, but works great.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm waiting....

For the iPad mini to come out in time for xmas.......

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And once it's released and people see...

..Android competition at half the price with multitasking but without the need for iTunes lockin, App Nazi's or the usual Apple hidden rolling costs they will regret ever wasting their money.

Apple - for the iDiots.

18. Chris Byers
    Thumb Down

That's my birthday

And I intend to do something more worthwhile with my time than order a comedy sized iPod Touch. In fact, the first person I know who buys one of these will find themselved bombarded with emails containing links to Flash based sites and Java games. The sad thing is that this product won't bomb (like it deserves to) because Apple fanbois really will buy anything regradless of real functional ability.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like