back to article HDMI tunes into 3D TV broadcasts

The organisation behind HDMI has updated the digital TV connector standard to ready it for the 3D era. HDMI Licensing said the new version, 1.4a, mandates the support of 'top-and-bottom' and 'side-by-side' modes for broadcasting the picture data that will be present to each eye, thus creating the illusion of 3D. Until now, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Owen Sweeney
    FAIL

Great!

I suppose that means more new hardware. New amp/receiver. New TV. New "anything with a HDMI connection"

They gotta be joking.

1. Pypes
      Unhappy

fuck me

I forgot about my AV receiver, things just got expensive. This 3d shit can wait a few years.

2. Adam 10

Or...

You could just not buy it!

People didn't have to buy new TVs when colour came out, or when nicam stereo came out, or when onDigital started etc. etc. I'm sure that somewhere in the country there is someone still watching a monochrome, monaural set with no form of digital receiver plugged in.

If you don't want the tech, don't buy it. Jeez, most people don't even have any sort of HD source material yet!

Personally, I'll be sticking with my current rack of equipment as I don't see the point in spending thousands to buy a new set up only to sit there wearing special glasses.

Where's my holodeck, Sony?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

damn right!

damn right....i get a discount on my licence and its doesnt really make much difference as the hours of dirge and drivel broadcast every night looks no worse in monochrome and still sounds as bad in mono ;-)

3. Lance 3

Ummm

Most people don't have a 3D ready TV anyway. So if you want 3D, a new TV was almost a given.

Screw A/V receivers, I just put the sound through one (optical) and let the source connect to the TV.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a highly informative...

....and excitzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Another price hike

No doubt, the HDMI cable providers will be quite happy to change the 1.3 on their packaging to 1.4 for a mere 25% or so increase in price.

4. The elephant in the room
    Boffin

"Top & bottom" mode

Is that for when you are lying on your side?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like