back to article SCO's Linux litigation architect angles for SCO's mobile biz

Desperate to fund its seemingly-endless legal battle for Unix copyrights against Novell and others, SCO Group has found someone willing to buy the bankrupt company's mobile assets - and it's none other than Darl McBride, the former SCO chief executive sacked as a result of his ruinous crusade to claim Unix. Groklaw has flagged …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

Sorry, but who cares now?

It was of interest once, moons ago, I know we all read Groklaw at the start of this fiasco. Now however? Nope, nada, zilch.

Lawyers (sic) for SCO bent as a nine bob note? Ursine faeces seen behind tree? water makes you wet?...

Nothing to see here, move along please.

2. Kurgan
    FAIL

When will this end?

I can't believe it. When will it end?

3. Dazed and Confused

that's sure going to help

$35K is going to buy about 30seconds worth of legal battle.

Can't someone just put thing sad thing out of its misery.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Is this still going on?

How have they managed to survive for so long???

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Chapter 11 Bankruptcy can last decades

Chapter 11 is an amazing way to run a business. You do not have to pay anyone you owed money to before filing for chapter 11. All outstanding lawsuits are delayed unless you convince the judge to let them continue. You get months to come up with a business plan that pays off your creditors. You can convince the judge to extend that those months to years with a few promises that an amazing deal will be ready real soon now.

In theory, the biggest creditors can form a creditors committee that has some say in what goes on. If you run up bills with your allies, you can stuff the committee full of people who will do nothing. In theory, you are supposed to file Monthly Operating Reports that say how much money is left, what you have spent and what you have earned. It appears you can delay these for months and say "All the MORs could be completely wrong because it is not clear whether income/liability belongs with the debtor or one of its non-bankrupt overseas subsidiaries".

There is some good news: SCO's reporters and 'expert' witnesses are (low down) on the pre-petition creditors list. The teams of lawyers SCO hired to handle the bankruptcy are asking to get paid, and it looks like the trustee and his lawyers may end up large unpaid bills too. It looks like going to enormous lengths to help a company delay chapter 7 bankruptcy is not a good idea. (Ch 7: trustee sells the disected corpse of SCO to the highest bidders.)

5. Mike Gravgaard
    Megaphone

Die

SCO Die...

and do it quietly and slowly...

1. TimeMaster T
      Flame

Oh...

"... quietly and slowly ..."

You mean like its been doing all this time?

I would prefer a quick, but agonizingly painful death, of SCO. McBride on the other hand ...

Fire, because that would be a nice place upon which to thrown SCO.

2. Angus 2

Well

They are going slowly. Not sure about quietly. :/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title

The bastard just won't die. Someone, please put it out of it's misery

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Amen

to that

7. Lars Silver badge

There is still no hope

of a fast and quiet death of this disgusting "saga".

There is still this fifty/fifty chance with a jury, the lottery part of a legal system with a jury.

And as far as I understand the whole case has been taken over bye two scumbags, the new judge and the appointed Chapter 11 Trustee.

I think we will need Pamela for quite some time.

8. Peter 39
    WTF?

misery indeed

This farce has been going for six or seven years now. And the actions of the Court-appointed Trustee seem a bit strange, to say the least.

But Darl's purchase of the "mobility" assets aren't the only strange thing. As has been pointed out. $35K is chump change. Heck - he gets the "me" domain names and will probably sue Apple for their "Mobile Me" service.

Strange #2 is that Yarro is back from the dead and wants to "lend" SCO $2M with super-priority claim against assets.

The system is being seriously gamed here.

9. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

it's not the zombie body

it's the damn necromancers that keep animating it long after the useful limbs have rotted and fallen off. SCO is dead as a doornail. Even if the universe tilts and they somehow won in court, they'd never sell another license for any of their software, and would only continue to exist as a money conduit back to their necromancers. An undead patent troll they'd be.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

Wonder where he got the money from.

And why?

who could benefit over a long term campaign of FUD over the provenance of Linux for commercial use?

The monkey dance goes on.

11. Daniel 1
    Stop

Truly...

This is a train wreck, so slow, that the passengers have now been asked to get out and push the train.

Eleven years after Tim O'Reilly predicted that SCO's longterm finances might be in "a bit of bother" (in the prologue to the first edition of the book "Open Sources"), here we are, still looking at Our Gifted Sociologist, from Utah, with his whacky Ponzi-style schemes.

Ever since he tried to sue IKON for sacking him, back in 1998, it seems that Daryl's whole business ethic revolves around suing people, raising venture capital from his network of Mormon buddies, and using a process of stock acquisitions, to get rid of this capital again, that can only make sense if one assumes that waving a dead chicken around, is somehow involved in the decision-making process.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No a con honest

Bet the stuff he is buying is worth a huge amount.

I wish I had that much money to spare. I would buy it to spite him (McBride) and give it to an open source group.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Linux

Get a part of the action

Hop over to Groklaw. Several people are seriously considering setting up a venture and making a bid, just to see how serious Darl is. The suspicion is that it's not the assets that are the big thing, its the covenant that Darl makes not to sue the trustee who is now running SCO that is the attractive feature, for the trustee, that is.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

so that was his plan...

...utterly gut a company and then pick up some part of what's left for almost nothing.

Paris, 'cause she knows a good screwing.

14. Seanmon
    Go

Really

I'm as bored of anyone with this, but you can't help but admire this level of sheer boneheaded persistence.

15. fishman

Fraud?

A year ago, Darl claimed that this part of SCO was wor\th millions. Now he is buying it for $35,000. And SCO spent more money trying to find a buyer for it than what Darl is paying.

16. Nigel 11

Please IBM, put a stake through its heart!

Can't IBM or some other one-time SCO target pay whatever is necessary to buy SCO's assets from the liquidator, and then bring this nightmare to a final close by declaring all SCO copyrights and patents to be permanently, irrevocably, non-actionable against the open-source community? It would surely take mere pocket-money for IBM to do this. (A lot less than they've spent to date on lawyers, now with no hope of getting it back from SCO even though they won).

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

Correct me if I'm wrong here...

...but didn't both Novell and IBM have judgements against SCO saying, essentially, "SCO owe us muchos big time dollars."

Theoretically, SCO's remains should be auctioned off to pay it's debts, (chapter 7,) including to IBM and Novell. While it is still in chapter 11 however, it is allowed to continue existing.

The trick would be to push it into Chapter 7, and *poof,* most of what SCO has left ends up in Novell and/or IBM's hands.

If I am wrong on any part of that, someone please correct me!

17. cmaurand

The Sad Part is

The sad part is that the code the SCO claims was opensourced probably went the other way in that open source code ended up in SCO and now SCO is in violation of the GPL.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like