back to article Curiouser and curiouser: Aussie gov censors the censorship news

Debate over internet filtering in Australia is rapidly descending from high comedy into total farce, as Communications Minister Stephen Conroy ploughs on with his interesting approach of never committing just one gaffe when he can so easily commit two. The issue, yet again, is focused on a script on the home page of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barbara in Austin
    Pint

The whole truth...

...and nothing but the truth that we (the guv) determine to be fit to be the "truth" so help us open source--well not really open...-- some supreme deity completely of the fabrication of said 'guv' who is utterly reliable and truthful---sic guv.

A beer because in order to think like an OZ one must do like an OZ and get soaked.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Conroy is lying

I saw his lips move...

1. Mark Leaver
      FAIL

You know he is lying

Because he is breathing...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Simple answer...

Doesn't "Cyber Saftey" sound so much less sinister than Internet Filtering.

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Maybe people should hammer this site for searches for terms such as....

Goverment lies....

1. Gordon is not a Moron

Re:Governement lies

strangely enough comes back with a couple of results, all around digital innovation.

Irony? Yes, we've heard of it.

4. Violet
    Coat

Mr Conroy,Petard and being hoisted should be a requirement of your portfolio,,

Mines the one with "Tor" embroidered on the back of it

5. SteveK

Breach of copyright?

"not only has Mr B’s name been removed"

Obviously I don't know the terms under which Mr B posted his tag cloud code on a tutorial website, but as many of these licenses require that the original author's name and so on remain in the code, are they breaching his copyright by taking the code and removing his name?

Unless Mr B requested the removal due to being pestered by press all hours of the day and night of course :)

Steve.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Conroy's Ass Face

The reason is obvious, the man is known for one thing: trying to censor the net for Australian adults by extending the child filter to adults. It was his big idea, his "hey while we're filtering it for children on request of their parents, lets also filter it for adults on request of a secret committee!... who could possibly disagree with that??"

So of course his tag cloud would have the phrase "ISP Filtering" so large in relation to everything else, that it would create it's own super massive black hole that would suck in the whole of Australia.

So it's for your own benefit really. Or do you want to be sucked into Conroy's super massive black hole?

And not because Conroy made an ass of himself and now can't back down without losing face. No sir, not at all.

7. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

Tag clouds are a bit 2005 anyway arnt they

Tag clouds are a bit 2005 anyway arnt they, guess its fitting that they appear on that website then, being five years out of date on tech issues seems to be the norm for politicians.

1. Angus 2
      Thumb Down

Pollies only 5 years out of date on tech issues?

I think you are being generous. :(

8. Goat Jam
    Big Brother

I hope

I hope that the opposition, when it is done kicking the shit out of Peter "Worlds Greatest Hypocrit" Garrett, turns it's attention to Conroy.

Unfortunately however, Abbott is a card carrying raving Catholic so my hope may be in vain.

9. Steve Taylor 3
    Unhappy

National pride

I'm finding it harder and harder to be happy about being Australian. Please make the evil clowns stop.

10. Head
    Megaphone

Ha

'According to one spokesperson: "The word wall on the minister’s website is a visual representation of communication from the minister via media releases. ISP-level filtering is part of the Government’s cyber safety policy and cyber safety is represented on the word wall." '

According to the voting public, Conroy is a visual representation of the worst aspects of Australia, and should not be in such a public position.

11. druck Silver badge
    Go

"Censorship"

Come on, lets all go to http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/ and get "Censorship" on the wall, and perhaps a few other choice phrases while we are at it.

1. Adam Foxton
      Big Brother

I just searched that site for Censorship

No results returned.

That's probably a bad sign...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A gaffe, a gaffe, a minister's post for a gaffe

Time for a bit of grass-rootsy telling the rest of the aussie plebs, pass the word, that sort of thing. It's lucky he's so incompetent that it's clear what he's doing, but it's also blatantly dishonest and clearly has no integrity whatsoever, which should be hanging offenses for public office. And he's still playing the censor. Any government that pretends to be ``open'' ought not to engage in censorship at all. Any people that gets to deal with a government that does ought to whack it on its nose, shout BAD GOVERNMENT, and dismiss it for the next bunch of failures. So spread the word, mates from down under.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like