back to article Google profits from UK.gov's climate change quango rivalry

The government department responsible for climate change policy has admitted bidding against one of its own quangos for advertising on Google, forcing up the cost to taxpayers. Ed Miliband's Department of the Environment and Climate Change (DECC) said it sometimes battles the Energy Saving Trust to sponsor links on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I'd like to know

Who the government departments out-sourced their ad-campaign management to. I'd be surprised if they did it in house and ppc management companies usually charge on a % fee basis. Perhaps the finger is pointing in the wrong direction?

It's possible both departments used the same provider. They could have been playing two customers with deep pockets off on one another and raking in a nice increase in profits in the process...

Pay per click cowboys? yes, I've heard of them.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Not just stupid....

......but mind-numbingly dumb and of their own making.

Presumably the switch from adding a web address into their advertising to adding "search online for xyz" is the root cause of this monumentally unnecessary stupidity. Hence also the recent "Buster's World" calamitous fuckup. "Browse to bustersworld.gov.uk", not a problem, "search online for buster's world", oops, big time.

Have HMG switched to using Numbnuts, Fuckwit and Dumbarse Inc for their advertising strategy?

1. Ian Stephenson
      Coffee/keyboard

erm....

What do you mean switched?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Happy

Re: erm....

You know, when government advertising changed from being crap to being hideously expensive, mind-numbingly stupid crap.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I am gobsmacked

That when the country is strapped for cash, the government has chosen to spend over half a million quid on making sure we get search results that return correctly biased opinion that concurs with the government's own views.

1. Sergie Kaponitovicz

I am not gobsmacked

In fact, I have noticed a cynical and significant waste of taxpayers' money on increased gov.uk advertising in the run up to the next general election — bollocks to the public finances — ve vill shtay in ze bunker! Und ver ist your ID card?

The REALLY frightening prospect is that Ed Balls gets the leadership after Bully Brown loses in the Spring. Jonah Gord is a pussycat compared to Balls. But Al-Beeba will support him, at our expense. And the ACPO will diligently pursue all soft-targets in order to meet performance demands thus ensuring maximum bonus and pensions. It will take years for an alternative administration to undo all of the harm, and what scares me is that after one 5 yr term (assuming an overall majority), progress will have been too slow and painful, so that Nu-Stazi get back in.

4. Roger Barrett
    Thumb Down

Still missed it

I'll no doubt be flamed for this, but I use Bing, and they don't even make the first page!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=climate+change&form=OSDSRC

5. Graham Marsden

Circle jerk?

I think you mean "Cluster Fuck"!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it weren't February I'd say ElReg is having an early April fools joke.

But I, sadly, suspect it is all too true.

WTFH do these numpties think they are playing at. How dare they squander tax in this manner. They deserve to be horsewhipped! And I don't like horses.

7. Eddy Ito

Oh...

I read that as guano on the first pass... oddly enough it still reads the same.

8. Paul Donnelly

better yet....

"The UK government boosted its advertising and marketing spend by a massive 43%, to £540m, year on year in the 12 months to the end of March.

Figures published today by the Central Office of Information, which co-ordinates government advertising, marketing and communications spending"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jul/20/uk-government-advertising-marketing

9. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Paris Hilton

Why advertise climate change anyway?

I think most people are aware of climate change already. Whether they have an opinion or not (and whether that opinion is shaped by facts or media hype) is another matter, of course - by what does HMG hope to achieve by advertising?

Paris because she seems to fit in perfectly with the mob that do these things - IQ wise.

10. Dan 10
    Stop

Like squatters being evicted

This government is acting like squatters who know they will soon be evicted from their plush surroundings. Quick, wreck the place and smear poo up the walls so the new inhabitants will be onto a loser trying to fix things.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like