back to article 3 gets Desire

It's not just Orange - mobile phone network 3 is to offer HTC's Android-based Desire smartphone too. So is O2, we understand, though the cellco hasn't yet formally announced as much. Orange announced earlier this week it will offer the Desire in April. For its part, 3 is simply saying "spring 2010". HTC Desire HTC's Desire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Downie

T-Mobile

T-Mobile UK are also getting this. It's on the website in the coming soon section

2. cs94njw
    Thumb Up

At last!

At last! A bleeding edge Android phone on 3!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Oh dear...

Google are really gonna love this...

1. Jerome 0

Captain Obvious

Well yes, I expect Google are really going to love their mobile OS appearing on more excellent quality handsets, with more choice of carrier.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

title

only it isn't another quality handset, it's a nexus without a google badge.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Re: Oh dear

I really don't think that Google will care at all. My take on the their entry in to the phone market is that they want more devices out there running their operating system and to a lesser extent they want to drive hardware spec. Google can't be making much from the sales of Nexus one so no skin off their nose.

I want one of these.

5. Law
    Thumb Up

May move from o2 to 3 for this

My expensive iphone contract is nearing it's end now anyway...

So far the only complaint about my Hero is it's filthy predictive/corrective system. Out of the blue it suggests random things like 3D corrects to become 3some (never used by me ever!), and while fart isn't in the dictionary, ubersexual is - and has been suggested for me several times! lol... sometimes you have to really re-read your message... just incase! ;)

6. Obvious Robert
    Stop

Locked to 3G?

When I was on 3, they used to lock all their handsets so you couldn't disable 3G and switch over to 2G only. Given the battery life on smartphones, this is something I do on my G1 whenever I'm not actually using data to get through a full day. You really wouldn't want one of these stuck on 3G all day.

1. Law

Maybe..

but will HTC give them enough control over the android rom to remove the 3g toggle widget from SenseUI and also to remove the option from the Settings menu, especially considering all the other networks have now picked this up... I'm not sure they would bother in this case.

Thanks for the headsup though - I guess now I will have to check the phone instore first, make sure all the usual options are there! :)

1. My New Handle

2G on 3? You're kidding, right?

It would make no commercial sense for 3 to allow the handset to be switched to 2G. The 3 UK company has zero 2G capability and relies upon other operators to supply that.

That said - even if 3 do get all hissy fit and have the setting removed from Android it is a simple case to install a stock Android ROM to replace the 3-customised version. Or perhaps a custom ROM would be even better option. Once rooted the opportunity to run any Android app becomes open to you.

2. Michael Downie

Re:Locked

it will be locked to 3G only, mainly because 3 dont have much in the way of a 2G/2.5G network so they route all the voice calls over 3G. It'll only drop to 2G when you're out of 3G coverage at which point it piggy-backs on the T-Mobile network. So chances are you'll probably be stuck on 3G only.

7. Andrew Luton

firmware..

surely it'll just be like the other HTC android phones out there, and you'll be able to pick the ROM of your choice and use that?

i.e. any tinkering by 3 can easily be overcome.

8. Vince
    FAIL

@Michael Drownie (and wrong information)

"it will be locked to 3G only, mainly because 3 dont have much in the way of a 2G/2.5G network so they route all the voice calls over 3G. It'll only drop to 2G when you're out of 3G coverage at which point it piggy-backs on the T-Mobile network. So chances are you'll probably be stuck on 3G only."

Or in fact Orange, it used to be O2 but I'm pretty sure they've totally dropped that now.

Are you confusing the Three/T-Mobile Mast/Site Sharing/Network Merge with the 2G Fall Back to Orange? Methinks you are.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like