back to article Obama plagiarist has a legal posse

Artist Shepard Fairey is facing a Grand Jury probe for falsifying evidence in a copyright case. Fairey was suing Associated Press over the use of an copyright image Fairey had used as the basis for a popular Obama election poster. To the dismay of the Boing Boing crowd, Fairey turned out not to be a "copyrighting" hero, but a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

Boing Boing too

To hear the Boing Boing trust-fund kiddies tell it, Fairey can do no wrong -- he's a buddy of theirs, after all, whereas the Associated Press, being composed mostly of people who have to actually work for a living instead of getting to play with websites and TV shows and what-have-you as they please, is their implacable enemy.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Some Guy

Art?

This is not an easy call. There is long history of making small modifications an existing work which completely changes the impact and meaning. Did Andy Warhol rip off the guy that designed the Cambell's soup can? What about Duchamp's moustached Mona Lisa?

In music, bands do covers all the time and no one seems upset.

Maybe not a plonker, just a wally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Covers

Because bands ask permission to do cover versions and pay royalties for the privilege.

2. Mike Flugennock

Small modifications? No modifications, more like

Andy Warhol and Duchamp actually made modifications to classic images: Warhol by painting a can of Campbell's Soup as a kind of massive, totem-like image, Duchamp's moustache on the Mona Lisa as a form of commentary on the insular, hidebound art "establishment".

As far as bands doing covers goes, I have yet to hear a single cover version that was basically a note-for-note knockoff of the original. Case in point: Wendy O. Williams And The Plasmatics' version of Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man".

4. Graham Bartlett

Copying?

Let's get this straight. His picture copies the outlines of someone else's picture, but all steps from that point on are his own, right? And this is enough for it to be plagiarism? It's a good job Andy Warhol's dead then, otherwise he'd be in dead trouble for his paintings of soup cans which copied the soup can label much more exactly.

5. JShel

Actually...

Have been wondering for some time now when I hear Fairey /Obama issue come up why there isn't a mention of the folks HE sued for using his *ahem* Original work product.

I think his suits against the folks who modified his Obama/Hope image to Nope, Dope and Hype should be mentioned since their one character edits express a lot more political content than the artistic content of his tri-tone posterization, and appropriation of Obama's keyword ever conveyed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, dear...

...I suppose now that Obama's in office and nothing can be done, you could go with 'Cope'.

Or, if you're the type who takes matters into his own hands regardless of the law, 'Rope'.

Oh, dear, did I say that out loud?

1. JShel

I'll Second Cope...

but Rope sounds too much like Dubbya and Palin

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're completely missing the point

It was obvious to anyone looking at Warhol's picture that he had copied the soup tins. This fraud and plagiarist Shepard Fairey is copying stuff, disguising its origin and pretending he created it himself. That's plagiarism.

I suggest you read the Mark Vallen essay linked to in the article. It explains it quite well.

7. Mike Flugennock
    Grenade

Seems ironically appropriate somehow...

...as Barack Obama himself has turned out to be a big, fat fraud.

http://sinkers.org/stage/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/obamafail550w.jpg

Come and get my ass, Fairey.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

don't feed the trolls - don't feed the trolls

never mind

9. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Fairey, please do a Gordon Brown poster in same style

Fairey, please do a Gordon Brown poster in the same style as your ooooBama one. It could have the slogan "Change.... Yes please and hurry the f**k up about it!"

Or how about a John Prescott one: "Pies you can believe in!"

Margaret Thatcher: "I used to be the Prime Minister? Did I? What's a Prime Minister?"

10. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Thumb Down

what?

No Princess Bride references? For shame!

1. transientcylon
      Heart

I do not think...

...that word means what you think it means.

11. David Stever
    Grenade

He needed months ago to get a visit from...

...the Brute Squad!

Boing Boing as trust fund kiddies- I laughed. Did I mention Cory Doctorow's new book?

12. Snert Lee

Fairey quote

Found this in an article on theconsumerist, attributed to Shepard Fairey:

"I've never had an original thought in my life...and there's tons of people on the internet happy to tell me just that."

Guess it just proves that even the worst duffer can hit one out of the park sometimes.

This topic is closed for new posts.