back to article Austrian army cans Benny Hill recruitment ad

The Austrian army has canned a recruitment ad in which a group of young ladies is persuaded that a "joy ride" in a well-endowed tank is a far more exciting prospect than a spin in some bestubbled geezer's sports motor: Yup, all that's missing to really piss off feminist groups is Benny Hill and Yakety Sax, but that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Smith
    Thumb Up

Glad it's not just us

It's quite encouraging to see that Austrian Millie Tants don't have a sense of humour either. I thought that was very funny.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was a rival sports car maker, rather than the Austrian army, that ran the ad?

2. John Hawkins
    Thumb Up

Brünowagen?

Watch what the chap does with the gun barrel on his way past it; he can't keep his hand off it. The Fräulein might be in for a disappointment...

3. Richard Jukes

I WANNA JOIN

I really want to join the Austrian army now. I was rather impressed when the tank came to a skidding stop and obviously the tank is a much better vehicle than any car could ever be.

If only because they actually do have the fabled 'missle button' that I so desperatly want on my cars - for those occaisons when there's an idiot driving in front of you and bog standard roadrage just isnt enough.

1. Elmer Phud

Skid Marks

Judging by the amount of dirt churned up at the point where the armoured vehicle stops it must have taken a lot of practice.

No doubt they only put the car there when they were sure they knew where the tank(whatever) was going to stop.

4. LinkOfHyrule
    Thumb Up

check out 0:43 in the vid

0:43 - nice shaft rubbing action there, made me laugh out loud (urm yeah anyway) - rest of it is full of wtf-ness! Totally baffling a bit like that Welsh soap opera.

5. NogginTheNog
    Coat

Cutbacks?

Are those paintball guns the soldiers are brandishing in the intro silohuettes?!

1. seanj
      Headmaster

Re: Cutbacks?

Nope, it's the Steyr AUG.

Not pedantic grammar nazi alert, pedantic gun-pr0n nazi alert.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The fact that

Austrians think Benny Hill is funny surly proves their sense of humour level in itself.

BTW. Was Benny Hill well endowed? Do armies suffer penis envy? The public have a right to know.

7. Jimmy Floyd
    Paris Hilton

Am I the only one...

...who thinks that it looks like the opening sequence of a pr0n scene?

1. Tim Bates
      Coat

Ummm

I wouldn't know, but I did think it looked a bit low budget.

I guess the question is, how do you know so much about low budget pr0n ;-)

8. DrXym

What does it matter if its sexist or not?

Either it works for recruiting or it doesn't. Putting it gently, I think it would be hard to underestimate the intelligence of some potential military recruits. An advert that appeals to their primary interests - tanks, guns and women is probably going to work better than other approaches.

9. SpanglySi
    Happy

Shameless rip off

Well, blimey, looks remarkably similar to this Ukranian army recruiting vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_E6YSQqTo

1. Rob Burke

yep...

Haha, that's what I was about to say.

10. Jonathan White
    FAIL

Oh my lord..

You're in a tank, there's a cock and his Audi in front of you and you don't hit the accelerator?

(BTW, it's not a paintball gun, it's one of these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG)

1. Rattus Rattus

True, it's very tempting, but

you don't wanna run over the pretty ladies too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Obviously not...

you pick up the girls first, then run round to get a bit of speed up...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What did the navy think?

What about the Austrian navy?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well endowed?

What i find hilarious is that that tank's cannon is the smallest i've ever seen in a "tank", and yet all the girls go running after it!

13. Miss Lincolnshire

It's an Armoured Personnel Carrier not a tank

It's a German built Marda APC witha 30mm cannon. It'd definately do the chav's Audi over.

Would have been better with a Leopard 2. That's a seriously good looking tank but wasted on the Austrians and Germans. Our Saxon cousins appear to have lost their bottle a bit since going two nil down in world war success

Can't see anything wrong wth the advert other than it looks like it's been done on the cheap.

14. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

This is not a tank

It's an infantry fighting vehicle. That ad must have been aimed at metrosexuals, if they wanted real men they should have used the Leopard2 MBT ;-)

15. Ally J
    Paris Hilton

How....

... was the stubbly guy going to fit all four girls into his car anyway? He hadn't thought that through, had he?

1. Tim Bates

Duh...

One at a time, if you know what I mean....

16. TheMountain
    Grenade

Chicks who like tanks

Me, I'm more impressed by chicks who dig tanks than chicks who dig overpriced sports cars. That Audi only has two seats anyway, so three of those women aren't going anywhere with baldy.

17. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Wow

It's not sexist, sexy or even funny.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It is...

...cheap and stupid and beautiful. The only problem is that it isn't quite dorky enough, for my tastes. More hamming it up*, please!

* : this expression should in no way be construed as a request for ham, since such statement might be considered offensive to vegetarians (who apparently like pigs) and members of certain religions (who apparently do NOT like pigs) and police ...

Oh, never mind. You get the handcuffs, I'll get my coat.

19. Neeblor

ugh

Girls like fancy cars because they're fancy (and the people driving them tend to have lots of money), girls certainly don't like big noisy, smelly, clumsy, dirty tanks (unless they're lesbian)

20. Joe 3
    FAIL

Production values?

The Austrian army has heard of them!

The ad looks like it was made by schoolkids with a budget of about £1.35 (or €1.55). Were they the hottest women they could find?

21. Mursu
    Troll

Point of this hilariously bad ad?

Austria has conscription so why the ad? It's difficult to sex up something that's compulsory and if this ad was meant to increase the number of female volunteers i think they missed the mark. That is if austrian women them selves are even stranger then the domestic variety. Besides, if i would have done the ad i would have made the women get in the ifv. And there whouldn't have been some silly army stuff in the back but nice couches, champaigne, chocolates, roses, and keeping with the level of the ad, a mirror on the ceiling. After that they could've made a film for the internets that would have most certainly paid for the campaign costs. And perhaps some more ifv's.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is a bit sexist....

what with the women hanging all over the guy with the flashy car and then running to the guy in uniform (plus there was an obvious cleavage shot), but its within the bounds of reason given the usual scope of TV advertising.

Personally, I am glad that the Austrian army has a bit of a sense of humor!!

23. cynic 2
    Happy

The Benny Hill version

You're right, it does work better with Yakety Sax. Try it with the right soundtrack:

http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=kp7HVU-s7aI.

24. elderlybloke
    Paris Hilton

Wot about the Girls

sense of humour?

Has that been issued to them yet?

Wot about their well known and frequently refered to , ability withstand pain , stress, suffering and everything else in the Universe?

25. Giddy Kipper
    Go

Nice arses tho'

That is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like