back to article A little more Conversation, to get in on the action

Nokia Beta Labs has launched Conversation, a free application for S60 third edition handsets that provides an additional tab to your contacts application, showing conversations you're having and with whom. The ability to see one's messages organised by person, rather than date and time, is something Treo and iPhone users have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stu

So where's the Windows Mobile equivalent?

...Ahh, here it is -

http://www.mykesoft.com/textr/

I havent tried it yet, the page make it look a little gimicky but I'm willing to give it a go.

El-Reg - how come you miss out a lot of equivalent WM 5/6 developments and favour other platforms? I know its not as nice to use as an iPhone and is a bit crap in areas, but it is in use in a large amount of different PDA handsets and has a very large customer base, me included.

Plus I've done a comparison between WM and the iPhone feature for feature, and pretty much everything (Except for iTunes) is available, even YouTube vids via TCPIP player and a browser plugin. Plus TomTom Navigator started out life as a WM program I think before it also got turned into an all in one unit.

Lets not forget that a lot of WM PDA handsets do wifi, bluetooth, gps built in, gprs, edge, 3G, HSDPA 3G etc etc etc.

Come on El-Reg, more WM developments please, a lot is happening, third party apps make WM quite useable and useful.

2. Simn Lovatt

Wonderful...

How long have Blackberry devices been doing this for? :-)

3. Steve Ousley

Not on N95

Though this is a great little app, and i have installed it on my N95, it's performance does lack a bit. I can open the application only 4-5 mins after closing it, and it has to re-generate the ENTIRE list of messages, which on my N95 with it's large memory banks can take a while. Also, leaving the application open does cause the phone to run exceedingly slow, to the point that i even completely restart the phone to get it back to normal. Though this will probably be because of the limited memory available on the N95.

4. Steve Evans

About time!

I've been wanting something like this since the first time I saw it on a crackberry.

Pity we had to wait for the iPhone before Nokia extracted finger from rear passage, but at least I have something nice to say about the iPhone! :o)

5. Steve Evans

Amazed nobody else has asked...

What offer did Claire Bath turn down?

6. David Haworth

@Steve Ousley

I'm not sure from reading your comment, does the N95 have a lot of memory, or not much? :)

7. Steve J. Rapaport

Not so sure about the "speed of development"

I'm not sure if this was a feature added quickly after raves from iPhone users, as you say, or added slowly after raves from Treo and Blackberry users, 4 years or more ago.

In which case it's glacially slow, and not a credit to the Nokia developer's community at all.

And if, as the N95 user above mentions, it's not handled well in terms of memory and speed, it may yet be an unfinished feature.

8. Steve Evans

@Steve Ousley & @David Haworth

Dave, I suspect that Steve is storing his messages on the microSD card which could be several gig, but the app of course runs in the "real" N95 memory (IIRC 160meg - which is huge tracts of land compared to the earlier symbian devices).

Steve, I installed it on mine after reading this story on El Reg, and it works fine, so I don't know how many messages you have on your N95, but it must be thousands! I have approx 200 messages on mine and one thread of about 100 and it whizzes through that perfectly.

UK V11.0.026 firmware

The only problem I have found so far is that sometimes whilst writing a reply in the little inline reply box, the focus jumps back to the last inbound message. It's rather random, but damn annoying. However it is a beta, and if that's not weird beta behaviour, I don't know what is!

As for leaving the app open, I rarely do that. I've come down the Nokia Symbian line from 7650,6600,N70 and now the N95, so holding down the orbiting dots button and closing unused apps is hardcoded into my firmware (v0.9beta)!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like