back to article The Christmas Console Wars: round one to Xbox?

In the run-up to the Christmas season, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will all be eagerly analysing sales figures in an attempt to declare their own console champion of champions. Microsoft has already made the first move and declared that it's in the best position to win the race to that place under the tree. Microsoft UK's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Ward

It's got to be...

The Wii console, although I have one myself I still think that the Wii console will be the one to outsell the other consoles during the festive period.

Nintendo have always gone for the niche approach, they have never gone all guns out with the hardware and the latest technology... but they have nailed on the head an area of the market never really explored by Sony and Microsoft.

I have had both Xbox and playstation consoles in the past and while they did provide great visuals in the games for their times, I still found myself going back to my PC to play more interactive games, games that you can download mods for to change them and keep them interesting.

Sony and Microsoft are both gunning for the Hi Definition and rich graphic-intense games, and both supporting the next gen video formats, but with the games, people will again play them till they have had their fun, and at £60 a game it's going to burn a hole in their pockets quite fast...

Where as with the Wii, they have an innovative controller, great selection of current games out plus the added bonus of being able to run gamecube games (which are cheap as chips second hand) and the biggest bonus (in my opinion) is the virtual console, bringing back old classics like blazin lasers and super mario brothers etc... even though they are a small price to pay for they provide hours and hours more entertainment, and the Wii can download additional applications to go along with the news reader and weather channel etc... over-all it's a more interactive console and when the online games start flooding through will bring even better gaming experiences to people.

And as for sales, I was amongst the first in my workplace to get a Wii, after showing someone just for 5 minutes they got one, then another colleague had one and another etc... it's like an infection allbeit a good one :)

2. James Smith

I'll be going for a Wii at Xmas ...

... too much booze probably.

I'll get my coat.

3. Mark Duncan

Only as good as it's games...

In the last generation of consoles I was an admitted PS2 fanboy. When the time came to join the next-gen a quick scan of review scores on gamespot and gamespy made my decision to purchase a 360 easy. For example head over to gamespy just now and take a look of games that have been tagged 'editors picks'. The 360 has 23 while the PS3 has 6. I personally think the PS3 is a superior machine but it could be a powerful as a bag full of Cray's but if there are only 6 great games I'm going to tire of it quickly. I expect and hope the PS3 mounts a comeback towards the tailend of this generations lifetime because supporting MS in any way is making me feel dirty.

Oh and the Wii is gimmicky nonsense. Sure people will say it's outselling Xbox & PS3 but its a last gen machine you'd be as well saying that a nokia are winning the next gen battle because you can play games on them and more moby phones have been sold than all the consoles combined

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So hard to choose between them

I went out and bought a 360 and a Wii but what made me buy them both? Well the 360 has more of the type of games I want to play (Dead Rising, Halo 3, GTA IV, Oblivion) but the Wii is a very fun format. At the moment the Wii is doing very well because of the party effect (go to a party, play on a Wii, spend the next day's hangover buying one for yourself) so it'll be interesting to see how long this continues for.

Really the Christmas console winner is going to hang on what will be the dominant target age group. If it's teenagers/male 20-somethings then it's going to be the 360 or the PS3 all the way; otherwise it'll be the Wii.

5. Adrian Jackson

Surely the only sane reason to opt for a games console is...

...the games?

That's certainly why I bought each of the consoles I own, anyway. Price isn't really an issue, as the cost of the hardware works out as a relatively small amount compared to how much I'll spend on games over the five-year plus life of a console. Raw power and gimmicky controls are nice and all, but only inasmuch as they contribute to the quality of the games.

And the great thing is that there's a different line up of games on each machine, so each person's choice should be based on which ones they personally want to play, and not the inane console fanboy lists of titles that they *should* like.

6. Pete

Gaming machine

the Xbox is the only contender this Christmas for a serious gamer, the PS3 still has no true killer apps, and Wii will only be offering Metroid and Mario, big names indeed but will they appeal to Nintendo's current market of wiimote waving sports enthusiasts?

7. Mark W

Two Consoles

I have two consoles.

I myself have an Xbox360 for the HD 'shiny/geeky' gaming experience, things like Forza Motorsport and PGR still make me go 'ooooh' with the just plain stunning graphics, and I love playing things like Plan9 and even Hexic2. It's also got a great HD-DVD drive (Season 1 of Heroes in HD, anyone?) which just so happens to work on my Mac too, along with a brilliant upscaling DVD drive when used with a VGA cable. It does make DVD's look very very nice.

Wifey has a Wii because she doesn't care about graphics, but enjoys the easy to use controls and the playability - she's one of those people who tilts the controller when playing the Xbox because she thinks it'll feed back to the console - but I don't think she's alone, and that is what the Wii has capitalised on. It's all about the games and how they play, vs just being eye candy, which is what the PS3/Xbox seem to think. Just sit and play WiiSports or Rayman for a bit and you'll see why it works so well.

I also like the web browser on the Wii because it just works (it's opera) and it's an easy way to surf the net without having to mess around with a PC.

However, neither of them are my music media centre - I have a Macbook which does that role. The Wii just doesn't bother because it knows it's a games console. The Xbox has the most irritating UI known to man for navigating music or video content, whereas Apple just have it sewn up with Front Row.

8. Dan

PS3 unconvinced...

I'm still not convinced that either HD format is going to take off, at least not until the players are at Asda-style prices. If I want to play games, I'm either going to go for the Xbox (more games) or the Wii(fun games). If I want to watch movies, I'll buy a dedicated HD player, and probably a dual-format one in order to hedge my bets.

In many ways I think this is of Sony's making, the PS2 could have been a lot more advanced that the PS1.5 that it actually was, and they could have got cracking on the PS3 sooner than they did. But no, they didn't see credible threats to the massive-anyway PS2 revenues so they sat on their collective arses, and consequently appear to have been caught with their pants down. Basically a hare and tortoise situation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wii all the way

Simple reasoning. If you put all three in front of your typical non standard gamers i.e not young males, the Wii will be the console of choice.

It's graphics are pretty ordinary, it's sound are pretty ordinary, but the console has this amazing thing, it's fun.

You mum can play it, you sisters can play it and even a drunken bunch of mates can play it.

Pretty graphics, HiDef displays, Amazing graphics are all well and good, but if the game is difficult to pick up and is tedious and dull, it won't sell enmasse, remember you can't polish a turd!

10. Rob

Nintendo's Wiinner

I've recently purchased a Wii after owning both a PS1 and PS2 and playing on my brothers XBOX and XBOX 360 and couldn't be happier with my decision.

I've bought 11 titles for the Wii which means I've spent the same amount of money as I would have buying a PS3 and 1 game.

The Wii has it all as far as I'm concerned! I can battle away on my own on games like Red Steel and Zelda. Have hours of fun with the kids playing Wii Sports or Wii Play. When the lads come round it's time for a round of Tiger Woods or a blast on Mega Strike and as for parties it there is an endless list of titles to get out and enjoy. I seem to get invited to more parties recently and there's always the “Oh and bring your Wii if you want?” at the end of the invitation.

I've never known a console to be so versatile and to actually get so much use out of one. I'd only occasionally had chance to play on the consoles predecessors on limited selection of titles Mario Cart, Mario Brothers and FIFA. These are all now available to download and play on the Wii for next to nothing.

If your going to buy a console this Christmas it has to be the Wii it’s the most fun I’ve had on a console and I’ve heard nothing but good from anyone who’s played on mine.

11. Rob

RE: Gaming Machine

>Pete • Monday 17th September 2007 11:04 GMT

<Pete's Post>the Xbox is the only contender this Christmas for a serious gamer, the PS3 still has no true killer apps, and Wii will only be offering Metroid and Mario, big names indeed but will they appeal to Nintendo's current market of wiimote waving sports enthusiasts?<Pete's Post>

Some other titles due out in time for Christmas Medal of honour 32 multiplayer, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicals, FIFA08, Mario & Sonic, NBA, Ghost Squad, Tony Hawks and Dave Mirra. I'm sure there must be some I'm missing but these should keep the "serious gamer" occupied but just incase the "serious gamer" has any friends there are all the additional Wii only titles to enjoy.

12. Graham Jordan

Wii

I believe its in the bag for Nintendo this christmas, easy. For everyone who hasn't got one this year, at this price, perfect excuse to get one for the season.

However I do believe the gold will be short lived for the Wii. Give it another year or so, a few price slashes and better games and Sony will take the lead.

Me, I've a 360 already, I'm only tempted to get a Wii for the retro game downloads thats pretty much all i do on the 360, the live arcade games. The ps3 will sit under my TV as and when FFXIII comes out.

13. Pete

Re: Wii all the way

Can you explain if their so fun why are all the games apart from Wiisports and Rayman all steaming piles of turd?

I brought my g/f one on day of release she played it non stop for a week, then went back to Animal Crossing on her DS. She then gave the Wii to her mum who played it for two nights... I still get a bit peeved when we go over and see it coated in dust, but as I've finished Rayman and Wiisports gets tedious what is there to do with it?

14. Jim Cosser

£60 a game? where?

For the PS3 who pays £60 a game? Its £40 a game from the UK and less if you choose to import.

Get your figures straight before you next gen bash Mr Wii fan, when the gimmicky controllers run out of steam you will have to move to the next gen and take your pick between Ps3 or Xbox 360.

I am a proud PS3 owner but I have to give it to the Xbox 360 this Christmas as there simply aren't enough PS3 games out.

15. Sean Aaron

Originally I could give a toss

about the console wars, but then I saw the Gottlieb pinball collection for the Wii and the innovative controls and price won me over. The fact that another pinball collection is coming and you have the VC with both Alien Crush and Devil's Crush make it a no-brainer. Outside of that I'm giving other titles a look and I'm pleased with the sub £40 price point these games come out at. I skipped the last generation of consoles because it just looked like the same games I played on my old Playstation with a little more flash -- sorry, not interested; changing the method of interaction is a biiiiiig plus in my book -- HD graphics don't rate at all.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3 Owner

I bought a PS3 for GTHD Concept, call me sad but it is the true reason. I wont be buying a 360 as there is nothing that really makes me want to buy it, yes forza is a good game so it PGR but they are not in the same place as GT.

When i bought it I thought i would only have a few games but decided to experiment with it only to find that there are some really awsome games for the console. Rub A Dub (which uses the 6 axis controller properly) is a hit with my girlfirend and her mum while Resistance fall of man is a hoot 2 player co-op or online bloodbath.

To top it all off when i get board of racing / blowing s**t up i can boot it into Linux use my usb keyboard and mouse and have a quite yet powerfull desktop machine .

Bonus

17. Rob

Re: Re: Wii all the way

Pete why don't you get the Wii back from your girlfriends mum and invest in some other titles?

Zelda, Mario Party, Smooth moves, Tiger Woods have all kept me playing on the Wii but for you I'd like to suggest the Big Brain Academy.

18. AndyB

Re:Re:Re:Wii all the way

"but for you(Pete) I'd like to suggest the Big Brain Academy."

At least until Nintendo release Wii Spell ;-)

19. bobbles31

Wii will win

Personally, I have the 360 and a Wii already, the XBOX is great for the big graphics and sound titles such as Crackdown, Call of Duty and PGR / Forza.

However, get a group of any size/age together and the Wii wins hands down for fun.

Add to this the fact that my Mother in law bought a wii completely of her own accord and is now not only actively buying games (spongebob and tiger woods golf), but is also actively watching for new titles (she actually told me about wii fit) then I think that, whilst the Xbox and the Playstation appeal to the core gamer, Nintendo have both made and cornered a MUCH MUCH bigger market that didn't exist before and it is this market that will make them the winner.

20. Alistair MacRae

Blah blah blah

Lots of people are chucking words around like innovative and the like.

The Wii control system is not much different to what has been done before.

The technology is old and easy to duplicate. You could give easily an xbox360 or ps3 the same control with something as simple USB plug in.

The PS3 is not more powerful than an XBOX360 it uses an nvidia 7900 GPU. The original spec release of the PS3 was boasting performance figures that in the real world it’s not reaching half that level.

I think that around February the Wii sales will hit a wall. Maybe it's just my Wii but i've found it extremely in-accurate and glitchy.

And I am positive that there will be a drought of games for the wii in 2008

21. Matt Kimber

360/PC/Wii.

I bought a 360, and may well have the Nintendo box as well before the year is out.

My rationale was, I want an HD console with a decent driving game, and the X360 price cuts dropped it to the point where I'm prepared to pick it up if only *one* game turns out to be a must-have for me - that being Forza 2, which can be had in a bundle with the Premium X360 - sorted.

The Wii is just - different - and compared to the other consoles which are heading very much towards the intense, single player and online multiplayer PC-style mode of play, it's more something you'd pick up with a couple of mates after beers. It's very good at parties too, especially with things like the bowling on Wii sports. Also it's the only computery thing I've ever seen wives-and-girlfriends reliably join in for more than just five minutes as a "keep the blokes happy" exercise, good for those of us who feel guilty (or get in trouble for!) taking over the television for an entire evening.

As for the driving game exclusive (I'm a petrolhead, it's the only genre that really sways my decision) decision between GT5 and Forza 2 - who knows, but Forza is here, now, with the feature set known whereas GT is still a future possibility which "may have" certain "promised" features. And by that time, if it's really a must-have to someone who already has the various X360 driving games, Sony and Microsoft could have had a price war.

So for me, X360 now, Wii soon, midspec gaming PC and... er... maybe an option on the PS3 if it gets some price drop action and some titles I really want to have. It's a good thing I don't go in for fanboyism really, otherwise I'd be *really* confused...

22. Matt

PS3

I think the Wii will be the biggest seller this Christmas as the media has already decided to get behind it and because it really is fun. In the longer run I think the PS3 will grow in popularity as more games come out for it (Warhawk has been out for some while, contrary to what this article says), especially those games which harness the power of the system and are fun/innovative too. The better PS3 games already make the Wii look a bit ordinary.

On this basis I bought a PS3 a couple of weeks ago and have now started using it as a media center, streaming from my PC etc. There are already enough games to keep me occupied and I've now decided to stop upgrading my PC just for games!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lair, Wii, Xbox 360/PS3

Lair has tanked, very badly due to a horrible motion control system which tries to steal the Wii's thunder. Scarily, this didn't even have to be the case - people have discovered you can plug almost any usb controller and, with some limitations, can enjoy a much more pleasurable game experience. That this was rushed out with a control system a blind man could see is broken has not helped spread the goodness.

Although I own a Wii I am no fanboy - I have a PS2 and am writing on a machine chock full of Microsoft goodness and which is my personal gaming rig of preference. Consider though, my mother is going to buy a Wii, my wife may buy a second one for Wii Fit and my kids love titles like Boogie. The PS3 is overpriced and as for Sony's attempt at shoving BluRay down our throats -remember Betamax? You are in a minority if you do. Xbox 360 seems the technically more accomplished machine and has a decent range of games but realistically they will sell as many as there are hardcore gamers with the cash. The Wii on the other hand is selling outside the spotty teenager market and selling multiple consoles within the same nuclear family. The Xbox 360 market is therefore similar to the original Xbox, where the Wii's is more like the television market. I predict a Wii (te) Christmas...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WII for Christmas

I have not owned a console for more than 12 years. I am planning on getting a wii for christmas to have family game night. I may be wrong, but, I think that a wii will seem more like spending quality time with my family and less like zoning out in front of the tv playing video games.

And the games are cheaper.

25. tom

Losing out?

"buyers fear that buying a cheaper version means they're somehow losing out."

Well, they are! The Core system's only purpose is to allow Microsoft to boast about how cheap the system is. A 360 without a hard drive is just depressing.

26. Connor Garvey

Comparison

I agree with Anonymous vulture. I have a Wii and a PS3. Both were given to me as gifts. I find myself turning on the PS3 far more often than the Wii, even though I only have 2 games for it. The only time the Wii gets used is when someone's checking the weather or when family / friends want to play a game together. As far as I can tell, the lack of blood, guts and intensity gets more non-gamers interested in playing with the Wii. Also, people who are intimidated by the PS3's 16 button, 2 stick controls are much more interested in the Wii's remote. They generally don't have any easier time getting used to it, though.

No. I'm not overweight and I exercise 5 times a week. The Wii is fun. I just like the PS3 more.

27. Jach

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out December 3rd, just in time for the holidays. If there was never a game to make someone go out and buy a Wii, then that one will be it. (Not to mention Zelda and Metroid and already out.) Plus I'm sure Nintendo will release some of the greater classics for the Virtual Console in December to increase buying interest.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3 "killer apps"

"the Xbox is the only contender this Christmas for a serious gamer, the PS3 still has no true killer apps"

Of course. The PS3 is a gaming console, not a PC. (Though Linux might count as a "killer app".

that aside, you are definitely not a "serious gamer". Metal Gear Solid 4 is going out on the PS3 *only*. Serious gaming, serious gamers. Halo 3 and its irk is more for the dummy teen outcasts who have no more brains than to shoot everything that moves. Yes, I played Doom back in the time, then Quake; but those had *gasp* mods that you could EDIT. PROGRAM. CREATE WORLDS. Halo is so brain-dead the level designers basically copy-pasted room after room after room, making even my first Quake level attempts look like a masterpiece.

The only bad thing I see on the PS3 is that there are not enough games, and that until recently, the damned thing was too expensive for me!

29. James Watson

Wii will rock you

it's simple. you like adventure gaming, guns-a-blazing, american mob warfare? give Godfather Blachand edition a go on the wii. it's different than the original and better BY FAR. oh, and i also have metroid and zelda. you don't need any other games. those 3 and a wii for Christmas and we'll see you in july, when this topic starts to come up again.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wii... for mi

I think the consoles are targetting diferent markets. Whether Microsoft or Sony accept it or not the Wii is getting "non-gamers" gaming and that is a huge market in its self which I think means the Wii will outsell the other consoles (at least in the short term).

I do think long term Nintendo may have to release Wii 2 which includes some of the "missing" functionality that the PS3 has such as the high definition.

However I suspect Nintendo don't care if they out sell the XBOX and the PS3... their console makes money for them every one they sell and then also makes them money on the games.

31. Jay

PS3, but not for £425

As my orig fat PS2 is getting on a bit, and I'm going to be buying a new LCD TV before Xmas I thought I'd treat myself to a new console. I've decided on a PS3. However on principle I'm not going to pay £425 no matter how much 'free' stuff they throw in. I'm pretty sure that there will be a price drop before Xmas, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Eventually it will get into Sony's thick head that one of the reasons they're not shifting PS3s is they're so bloody expensive! I know BluRay has a lot to do with it, but when you do a base price compare with a £180 Wii or a £300 360 Elite then £425 is just off the scale. And we won't talk about how UK consumers are being screwed royally compared to our US counterparts...

32. Stacy Kidd

Wii

As an employee of Gamestation, I plan to analyse with keen interest the battle of the masses as they fight lock, stock and barrel to purchase Christmas console goodies.

I have a feeling the Wii is going to do rather well this Christmas. Not only does it have the largest target audience out of the bunch, but it is not over-priced, comes with everything ready to play in the box, and you won't feel like you're carrying a housebrick whilst you're finishing off your Christmas shopping.

Add to this the fact that the main reason most people buy Christmas presents in the first place - yes, kids - it'll be a no-brainer to opt for the Wii or DS, consoles which are not only innovative, but are fun and can even be educational.

Of course there are going to be serious gamers, parents, friends or partners buying for their teenagers or older children/friends/other half, who will opt for the PS3 or 360. People are often more inclined to spend silly money in the festive season, so I'm sure sales of the 360 and possibly even sales of the PS3 - if indeed a further price reduction is executed - will be fairly safe, although when it comes down to the crunch, I'd say Nintendo is in for the win.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consoles aimed at different markets

Been reading alot of the other posts here, and basically the 3 consoles fall into 2 categories, that will effect the end players.

360 & PS3 - amazing games good graphics (most appriciated by the geeks).

Wii - games for families, and group entertainment, simple none complicated.

I recently went back the the UK, for a family gathering, and my sister brought her Wii round , quickly set it up, and for the next 2 days, it was nearly constantly on. And the suprising thing was the WHOLE family was playing on it, young, old and inbetween.

Having played on many consoles over the years this is the first time I actually saw so many age ranges interested in playing (not just sitting and wathcing), but really wanting to participate in playing.

All the usual press this button and then this one, and having to explain the more complex areas of gameplay (to the older age ranges) this was all gone, the Wii is so simply and easy to use, when you say compare the majority of games available on each console.

for example golf, hold this button, time this click with that click (but you have to time it right, etc etc). On the wii hold one button down and swing the wand. It just simplified the whole game playing, which I would say restricts the other console to specific audience.

In the past if someone brings a console round switches it on, you usually end up watching for an age the person play just one level, then have a 10 minute debriefing on how to play the game and what buttons do what.

The Wii on the other hand (rayman raving rabbits for example) had very short and fun levels to play, the handsets (wand) was passed around regulalry and fun was had by everyone, there was no fear of looking silly in front of the kids, as everyone is doing the same thing.

I think the outright winner will be the Wii, not for the graphics or anything like that, but mostly for the fun factor, its aimed at everyone, and I can say a very good family entertainment system. The wii has it the nail on the head being that its simply easier to see someone waving something around and copying it, than looking at someone pressing a multiple number of buttons on a joypad.

I think that people putting the wii next to the PS3 or 360, are missing the point at who the console is aimed at. The PS3 and 360 are aimed at a fairly specific audience, were as the wii has a much more broader range of possible players, and families are seeing this as a good thing, no more the kids locked away in the bedroom playing the console, its sat in the front room, with everyone playing it.

I think the wii has a fairly long life, as its goal is based at more family and group entertainment and not the latest and greatest hardware and graphics.

Gameplay is what is the most important in enjoying a game, not how it looks (but it does help a little), out of the 3 consoles I would say the wii is definately the most social group aimed one, and this is the key to its growing popularity.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's got to be the Wii

My parents visit my house and I get of my PC or console and we chat drink, its been like this for years,

Till I bought a Wii, now my parents (54 & 57) play the Wii,

It's the same for the nephews and nieces even their parents all my non computer friendly friends will all play the Wii,

That there is the pulling power of the Wii, the down side is I used to be the one that played games all the time now I have to watch some one else and wait my turn.

Amazing really I used to be scoffed at for playing games even 20 years ago now the whole family plays the Wii, I bet MS and Sony wish they could break that market. At least they dont like my PC :)

35. Daniel

Hardcore gamers

What makes me laugh is the mention of "hardcore gamers" and "next gen consoles" "HD", All i can say is WOW. not as in world of warcraft, just wow, how many people are truly missing the point. Now i have a wii and recently bought a ps3, and i dont consider either to be a "next gen" console. Yes they have their benefits, but both have massive downfalls.

The PS3 is obviously a beast, graphics are awesome and the games ive played are fantastic. You can browse the web, download trailers and demos and even games (rub a dub is a laugh) but its very isolated. High end graphics mean nothing if its boring to play or if your on single player. And online play,... well give me a mouse and keyboard anyday.

Now for the Wii. I will say that it will win in the christmas sales, but it is flawed. It doesnt play DVD's. I know what your thinking.. Why? well it has a DVD drive... WHY THE HELL NOT?! You can use a modchip to get it to work but i quite like my warranty for now. And the online content is a bit lacking, slow and generally annoying. As for gameplay, FANTASTIC cant beat it. you can have a beautiful crisp scene with the sun setting and perfectly rendered characters, but until you have your girlfriend/mate dancing like an idiot infront of a TV for all to see, you have no idea.

HD is pointless unless the consoles can support it, XBOX elite... not very elite now is it. The PS3 have it right, its quiet and powerful. Whereas the Xbox HD-DVD drive is loud and annoying. But to be fair i have only ever played one Blueray film.

SUMMARY

Best console is the Wii. reason is because it isnt trying to comete with the true "hardcore gamers", and anyone can play it and can have a laugh.

The reason XBOX360 and PS3 lose... because i'm a PC fanatic and wouldnt ever give up my mouse and keyboard.

36. alistair millington

no contest

Went to a lan party, all three consoles were on offer. The Lan party were all hard core gaming fans, serious players and we were there for a number of days.

The PS3 lasted on hour on the driving game. Then we were bored.

The xbox was there on and off because there were six Xbox machines and some games were okay. Mainly driving round london or something.

The Wii came out and we played for two days, I did five hours of tennis and pulled a shoulder muscle.

It's great, crimbo for me is a Wii. We are all sad hard core gaming fans and know what we like but the wii was just fun (novel concept), only so much FPS or RTS or driving round london before you get bored. RSI inducing controllers and samey style games.

If I want serious online hard core games I use my Pc, for casual, fun or group games the Wii wins.

Nuff said.

37. Colin

Wii will win - even though serious gamers prefer other consoles

Stu Reeves hit the nail on the head.

The Wii is fun for everybody. Your parents, grandparents young children etc.

For a serious gamer - the appeal soon wears off, but the majority of people out there are not serious gamers.

I thought the Wii would never take off. On paper it was no where near as good as the Xbox 360 or PS3. I was wrong.

The PSP is better than the DS Lite.

What Nintendo do is market to a much wider audience. Old and young alike. Their games are fun. Im thinknig of buying a DS just for the "brain" games. These could be done on other platforms - but for some reason they are not there. Serious gamers like my kids wont play them - but I would.

A lot of people will buy a Wii and an Xbox360 or a Wii and a PS3 but very few will get Xbox360 and PS3.

Blu-ray will help the PS3 in the long run, but its not made a big impact yet.

Xbox360 does have much better game sthan the PS3 right now.

Xbox360 works out more expensive -once you take into account subscription to Xbox live, wireless etc. (But Xbox live is way better than PS equivalent - you get what you pay for).

So Xmas - Wii wins. 2 years time... PS3?

38. John

360 has already won.

Seriously, the only people buying PS3s are those that buy everything (me) and fan-boys (that won't last).

As for the Wii, look at the software sales. People are buying them for parties and impulse gaming. They're not the kind of people who fuel the industry. Well done to Nintendo for thinking outside the box however long term it won't make a difference to the big two as I see it as a different market.

As for the 360, It's faster cheaper and has more quality games for it. It's also rumured that the reason GTA4 is delayed is because the PS3 version is poo compared to the 360. If this is the case and Rockstar can't fix it then that might be the death blow to the PS3.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like