back to article Modest Apple update slices third-party bugs

Apple has pushed out a major security update designed to crush a dozen security bugs, some of which present a critical security risk on unpatched systems. Many of the fixes involve flaws in third-party applications bundled with Mac OS X, rather the flaws in the OS itself. Patches released by Apple on Tuesday address a malware …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Really?

"Apple - unlike Microsoft, Adobe and Oracle - issues patch batches as and when they are needed...."

So they release them as soon as it is psotted / exploited?

Or do you mean

"Apple - unlike Microsoft, Adobe and Oracle - issues patch batches as and when they they can be bothered..."

1. Bilgepipe
      FAIL

Yawn

The 17-year-old gaping security hole in Windows should have closed the Windows apologists mouths for at least a couple of days, I see the drivel keeps coming though.

2. Tim Cook

"as and when they can be bothered"

That would explain all the regular reports of Macs being compromised then.

2. Tim Cook
    Jobs Horns

hmm

"Apple - unlike Microsoft, Adobe and Oracle - issues patch batches as and when they are needed rather than on a regular pre-announced monthly or quarterly schedule.

Bi-monthly updates from Apple are about par. Typically these updates are applied in the background and applied painlessly after Mac fans reboot their systems"

What helpless fools those fanbois are. Why don't they get a real computer!?

1. Ted Treen
      Flame

NCO in the BullmerJugend are we?

So to be a real computer it's OS has to have critical faults/holes/errors, it's user must have a degree of knowledge* to install desperate patches which open OTHER holes, break drivers etc.

So to be a REAL car, must a car have acetylene headlamps, starting handle, manual advance-retard, tubed tyres, manual oil-pumps?

So to be a REAL fighter, must an aircraft be at least a biplane - preferably a triplane, be manually started by swinging the prop, and be armed with the pilot/observer carrying their own Mannlicher hunting rifle?

My Mac just gets on with its job and just works - never had a problem. My PC (running XP Pro) would have been defenestrated on many an occasion, had it not belonged to my employer.

I love my "unreal" computer - but I suppose to the BullmerJugend, a computer which "just works" IS unreal.

1. Tim Cook

Hmm

I thought my irony was obvious, apparently I was wrong. Says the man with the very real macbook at home.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software Update

Now, if Apple would just let 3rd party apps/plugins/etc integrate with the "Software Update" mechanism, they wouldn't have to bundle things like Flash Player updates in with their OS X security updates. Plus, it would make keeping your entire system up to date so much easier.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Apple Haters Make me Laugh!!!

So any chance you get you wanna slag off Apple- Get a life please - there discussing security updates and all you have to add to it is" Why dont they get a real computer"

How about the fact that the updates from Apple are far less frequent than microsoft's and lets be honest sending The patch batch with six updates that tackles 12 vulnerabilities, is far better than the updates you get from microsoft!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Erm, CoreAudio is an audio layer, rather than a media player

there are a couple of clues to this in its name

6. Grumpytom
    WTF?

Be grateful

What's all this bitchiness about girls?

Jeez hand out the tampons everyone's soooooooo premenstrual!

These companies - both Apple (I use that platform) and MS do their level best to get it right, as and when they can they do. It's all a moving target.

Could be worse, could be dealing with a car company who's poor products could kill ya!

Be grateful Citroen don't make op systems!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wrong car company

"Be grateful Citroen don't make op systems!"

should be

Be grateful Chrysler don't make op systems! No company is worse than Chrysler.

(How many times can a company go bankrupt before you close the doors forever?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like