back to article Man makes music on Linux-based touchscreen guitar

Forget everything you know about guitars – acoustic or otherwise — because a hi-tech guitar has been designed that replaces strings and strumming with a touchscreen and Linux. The Misa Digital Guitar is shaped like a traditional electric guitar, but made from plastic and – instead of strumming — requires the player to tap …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. djswivel
    Unhappy

So it's...

Basically a guitar shaped midi controller with an annoying touch screen.

Oh well, the idea sounded good.

2. CitizenErazed
    WTF?

Is it just me...

And it could just be because I'm listening to it on the work PC, with crappy speakers, but doesn't that just sound like the sound effects from a first-generation 16bit console game?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Pedants 'r' us

"equally-sized frets"

Probably, but I think you mean "equally-spaced frets".

"Sound is produced by plugging the instrument into a Midi controller."

Sound is produced by plugging the instrument into a MIDI sound module.

Fixed!

Not for me though, thank you.

4. Tullibardine
    Thumb Down

Hmmmm

I suppose you could play the bongos on this too. Which can't be done on a real guitar. If it costs less than 50 quid great. If not i'll wait till I see him playing Cavatina on it , then I'll buy one.

5. jake Silver badge

Recommendation.

Instead of spending money getting your kid one of these things, get them proper guitar lessons. If they have any aptitude, buy 'em a used guitar for home use. I've seen (and purchased!) decent acoustic guitars[1] at garage sales and junk shops for under $25 on occasion, and Fender/Gibson knock-offs, plus small practice amp, for under $100[2] on the used market.

Once they know how to play the stringed version (assuming ... why do you think the cheap knock-offs are plentiful and cheap?), they *might* want to get one of these Misa-things, should be easy to make the transition ... but I guarantee that learning on one of these will make the transition to strings difficult. Kinda like trying to teach a kid who learned BASIC as a first language proper technique in C or assembler.

[1] Not Martins, by any stretch, but not buzzy, real steel strings, decent hardware, capable of staying in tune, and plenty good enough to learn on. When I find 'em I give 'em away to kids I teach who can't afford their own.

[2] Again, not professional quality, but OK sounding once I readjust the pickups etc., and capable of staying in tune for more than five or six minutes. These I sell for the price I purchased them for, after setting them up properly. It's amazing how cocked up an electric guitar can get in the hands of a kid who hasn't a clue ...

6. The Jon

Why...

has he messed with the fret intervals? Surely this will put off "proper" guitarists who will need to re-learn left hand positions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like