back to article Google unveils GDrive that's 'not the GDrive'

Google says it's not the fabled GDrive. But the company will soon roll out an update to Google Docs - its web-based file editor - that lets users upload and store files of any type. In a Tuesday morning blog post, Google Docs project manager Vijay Bangaru said the update would appear on existing accounts "over the next few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

all you files are belong to us

Is Google's new motto.

2. Andrew Barratt

possible back fire?

When websense categorises google as a file sharing site....

How interesting that will be...

3. Neal 5

So,,,,,,,,,,,

Google have patented anything beginning with G.

My guess is that all the women in the world will be wanting to gut Google for patenting their orgasm, and that Google will get squirted on, all over in their reposte.

4. tempemeaty
    Grenade

All your data and behavior patterns belong to marketing

Eh, I got free 25Gb storage with MSN's Hotmail/Live ID email whats-it thingy. It's the ebil MS but it's also got a &%$# load more than Google's scant 1Gb. Just don't use it for data files you'd consider critical or private. Both Google or MS scan the stuff to collect behavior pattern info on you to use for marketing of other businesses products at you or even sharing with other businesses.

5. Stephen W Harris
    Go

Encryption

Now if they allowed 25Gb of data I'm pretty sure some enterprising young person would write a FUSE daemon that'd let you mount this on Linux machines. Add in encryption and you have a great near-line backup store for many small virtual servers.

1. Kevin Whitefoot

GMailFS FUSE

Already exists. But I think the project died and anyway it was too slow to be really useful but it was a successful proof of concept.

6. Andus McCoatThen
    Coat

1gb to start with?

Color me unimpressed. With 7 Tb of storage in 2 Guardian Maximus RAID and several individual external boxen... All packed within a single Pelican case... 1 gb does not mean much. I've got memory sticks that have more than that.

Come to think of it, I FOUND a 1-gb stick on the ground a few days ago and was wondering what I might put on it since it was so small.

I would hate to think of the time it would take to upload all the data I've got, but asking the Oompa-Loompas to scan it all and FINALLY root out all the duplicate files would be very nice... But not worth the loss of privacy.

Mine's the one with a 500gb ipod in the pocket that STILL isn't large enough for the whole collection.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Send it here then

What kind of files do you carry about with you normally? DVD images?

7. Youngdog

$0.25 a GB? Er, no thanks

Why bother when I can get a 1.5TB USB drive for SGD 200? That works out at $0.09 a GB, I get to stay off Googles radar AND I get off-line availability - and read/write speed not tied to my available bandwith!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Wow! That sounds handy...

...does it clip onto your keys and fit right in your pocket?

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fix Google Picasa Web First!

I was suckered into buying 20GB of storage from Google (£3 per year) so I could backup all my photos from Picasa. I would have gone the free MSN route, but their software keeps crashing in Windows 7.

Unfortunately, Google limit you to 1000 pictures per album. Which is stupid, as people (including me) have more than 1000 in life-changing photo albums, for weddings honeymoon and babies.

I hope this ridiculous restriction is lifted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@1000 pictures of your baby?

Do you really think anyone (apart from you) will actually want to look at them all? Isn't it better to break them down into "my baby's zeroth birthday" "my baby in the park" "my baby eating cake" or "me trekking in Borneo", "more of me trekking on Borneo", "did I mention I went trekking in Borneo?" etc. so that even the particularly caring friends/relatives can at least try to filter the wheat from the chaff.

I have 3,000 pictures of my OWN wedding (2½ years ago) which I haven't sorted yet (into a manageable 100 maximum) because even _I_ don't want to look through all of them- I guess you'd just upload them all huh? I'd check your hit counters and see whether you really need albums >1000 photos. Most people have an attention span closer to 1/10th of that- even if the event was (for you) "life changing". Oh, and- why the AC?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Why not just break your photos up

...into, say, albums for each month. Or do you take more than 1,000 pics of your baby a month? Picasa already organises by date, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have 80GB of Google storage (bargain at $20) and have uploaded tens of thousands of photos. I just don't have more than 200-300 in a single album (my albums usually relate to a single day/event).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RLY?

"while Google Apps Premier Edition users can must pay $3.50 per GB per year"

Can or Must?

10. Nigel 11
    Happy

AEScrypt first

Sounds pretty useful.

But I'll be using AEScrypt on my files before I let Google store them (for access on the move and as a backup-backup). Wonder whether storing Zettabytes of effective random numbers was part of their plan?

1. Richard 23
      Thumb Up

Yes!

That should make for some interesting ads popping up in your Gmail

11. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

IPRules

Google [and all search engines are similarly blessed and afflicted] need to be very wary indeed and aware of the damage that they will be able to do, for they are easily groomed and outed as being affiliated to whatever particular phishing for information and intelligence entity they may be a covert proxy for, [and there may be more than one, and Google themselves may not know that they are being used and/or abused as a proxy by others] should one share with them sensitive information in a file or a document or a blog or whatever, for their Storage and Easy Immediate Anywhere Access Plan, which would then subsequently become Unavailable Immediately Anywhere, for then is the Information Identified by such an Action as being Extremely Valuable by Virtue of the Intelligence it would be Sharing...... with it being Uncomfortable and Disruptive and Subversive in one Camp with a Tentative Information Advantage and Penetrative and Explosive and Helpful in A.N.Other which would be Suffering Presently the Intelligence Disadvantage.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yo ho ho, a gb or rum

Yet another opportunity for pirates to exploit.

The copyright lobby won't be happy. Good.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pick n choose

imagine the potential for idenitty theft, when all the numptys put their key data on their?

As for those of you who carp they have USB drives for X and Y, correct you have. Whilst Google want you to use their services for everything, NIKE Will want you to dress entirely in their *clothing* range.... but, i bet you dont. You pick and choose services, clothes etc as you see fit.

I am sure it could be handy for a number of circumstances or situations........ time will tell.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like