back to article Tax department targets IT downtime

HM Revenue and Customs is stepping up efforts to cut the down time of its IT systems. The department's latest performance report says that improvements in IT availability this year should provide 32,000 extra business hours. The figure is based on a predicted improvement of 2% on the hours lost due to IT not working in 2008- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

That's progress

"Continuous reviews of the quality of local power supplies have also increased the resilience of HMRC sites,"

I didn't realise that the more you review something the more it increases resilience. Here was me thinking you had to improve or change something to do that.

The power of a review eh? And a continuous one at that. Who do they employ to do that job continuously? Where do I apply?

2. Neil Stansbury

Huh?

"Continuous reviews of the quality of local power supplies"

Well my local power is fine - where the hell are they based - Afghanistan?

3. Tom Simnett
    Stop

Can they start by...

... making their websites available 24/7 instead of closing them when the last person leaves the office?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

\which one, please?

Tom,

What is the URL? When did you try and access it?

AC I'm afraid as this is not an official support chanel but I'll have a look to see if working hours is a deliberate policy [1] or if there was a problem at the time.

[1] 24/7 costs and some departments within HMRC choose not to pay.

4. Red Bren
    Pirate

Priorities?

No plans to speed up processing of rebates then?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Shooda...

... got Mac networks?

6. Richard Mason
    FAIL

Not doing well

They don't seem to be doing very well, the Intrastat upload website has been down for the last 2 days.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well you see?

If the Intrastat website goes down it:

(a) give a lot of people nothing to do as nothing is coming in

(b) creates a huge backload of stuff when it does come online

(c) consequently makes a huge backload of work for data processors and fills intrays

(d) makes everyone claim that they are indispensable as they have huge intrays full of work to do

As everyone knows: inefficiencies make for inefficiencies yes?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like