back to article Freed Peter Moore will be 'paid in full' for time as Iraq hostage

IT consultant Peter Moore - now back in Britain after being held hostage by kidnappers in Iraq for two and a half years - will be paid in full for the time he spent in captivity, The Register has learned. Moore was seized along with four British security operatives at the Iraqi finance ministry in 2007, by a large party of Shi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geeks and Lies
    Thumb Up

Excellent news

Quite rightly so this man should be paid everything plus more :-)

Although one can already smell his book deal!

That is all

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Going to be a boring read

Woke up. Room dark, couldn't see a thing. Was hit on head. Ate a bit. Went to sleep. Repeat

2. Dan 10
    Thumb Up

So he should get it...

Not that it makes up for the trauma/stress etc he probably suffered, but with any luck he will at least to be able to buy a house without a mortgage, which should make things easier for the future...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't want to

I wouldn't want to have to go back to get my timesheet signed off.

1. prathlev
      Joke

He must document his work, right?

I hope his manager forces him to document his work before signing off! How will the next techie to be captures know how to continue without documentation?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This plus an easy book deal

and he's set for life. He deserves it after what he's been through.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Lucky he was employed by the USA

otherwise I'm sure someone would be in trouble as he's clearly breeched the EU working hours directive

6. Mat Child
    Thumb Up

Too Right

that is all

7. TimBiller
    WTF?

Um

So as soon as he was kidnapped they stopped paying him?

Tim

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iraq

What's it like now for Westerners in Iraq?

Anyone had first hand experience within the last 12 months?

Curious, as there is a couple of opportunities to help the infrastructure out there.

1. Bassey

None personally

Non personally (not that brave) but an ex-forces friend works out there doing private security and seems to enjoy it. By all accounts, whilst by no means safe, there are large parts of Baghdad which are "fairly" normal. I would point out that the vast majority of the recent atrocities have targeted large government institutions - so I'm not sure I'd be wanting to take any governmental contracts!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well...

Not the last 12 months, no, I was there a few years ago - but it was a decent gig for that year. Iraq runs on British-style plugs and electricity, so your laptop etc would run fine as is.

Americans had to buy adapters etc.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Unhappy

Not quite as genearous as it seems.

If this follows the normal arrangements, the company would have had an insurance policy to cover the loss of revenue from the contractor's death, kidnapping, etc, and it is probably from this that Mr Moore will be paid. What is unreported is that the contractors alone were often covered by such schemes, and compensated, but the bodyguards often were not, and many families struggled to get any form of payout after their loved ones were killed or crippled protecting contractors. I'd be much more interested to hear how the families of the dead bodyguards have been compensated.

1. Harthin

Bodyguards are probably contractors

Bodyguards are probably employed by protection companies (such as Blackwater). Not that they shouldn't get good insurance and compensation, but it is probably up to the security company.

It doesn't matter where he gets paid from, it is still good to see someone get paid for such a terrible experience. Minor comfort to him right now, but hopefully it will help him out to get back into society.

10. Chris Haynes
    Thumb Up

Does he get paid for weekends?

Does this chap get paid 9-5 or 24/7. I mean, it's unlikely he was only incarcerated during working hours - his captors were savages, not accountants.

Either remuneration should push him comfortably up the league of most minted chaps.

11. The Indomitable Gall

Advice for the next poor sod to get taken hostage...

If you're ever taken hostage, tell your captors that if they kill you before releasing you, the capitalist dogs won't have to pay your wages, but if they keep you alive for a couple of years you will be able to attack the cold hard of the bourgeoisie with a massive overtime claim.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

They considered *not* paying him?

Title says it all.

13. Chris Evans
    Thumb Up

'Comfortable' rather than 'Rolling in it'

I suspect he'll be paid his 'normal' salary and if he had a house back in this country to pay a mortgage on etc. he will not be that much better off than if he hadn't been kidnapped and just had had his 'contract' continued until now.

He may well have had his living accomodation paid for on top of his salary and there aren't many things to spend your money on out there. So he probably won't be rolling in it but be 'rather comfortable' as his salary will have been quite high.

14. Shady
    Unhappy

My employer...

...would have fired me for the unauthorised absence.

15. Jolyon Ralph
    Grenade

Will he be able to claim for mileage...

for the trips in and out of Iran?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iraqi Puppet Government

there you go corrected that for you.

Who cares about this bod, if he was any good he would be working remote, he is obviously just a grunt.

And what is up with the Iraqis and Iranians? Have they learnt nothing from Vietnam, if they want freedom from the West then do the most horrific things, and put huge amounts of pressure on the occupying force, none of this hand back people, oh no sir, that doesn't work, it just encourages them.

This topic is closed for new posts.