back to article Amazon punters go mad for 'Laptop Steering Wheel Desk'

Amazon customers have gone absolutely mad for the AutoExec WM-01 Wheelmate Steering Wheel Desk Tray, which "attaches to your steering wheel for easy access to a writing and drink storage surface". The Laptop Steering Wheel Desk How, you may wonder, have we survived until now without a product which is "flat for writing and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EddieD

Wonderfully retro

I remember my Dad using one of these in our brand new Ford Consul in 1972 or so.

Can I interest the reviewers in this brand new device I'm marketting called "fire"

2. HFoster
    Thumb Up

Darwinism in action

This should rapidly cull stupidity from the genepool.

3. Mr Jolly
    Thumb Up

Amazing product!

I bought this product mainly for th...

Bugger I'm on the wrong site.

4. Balefire
    Alert

@HFoster

Unfortunately not - most of the time the fucktards who use this sort of item cause death and mayhem around them whilst escaping without a scratch.

And then complain to the SO about the terrible driving of others who end up crashing.

5. Adrian Jones

Don't forget

To look at the Customer Pictures.

6. Registard

@Darwinism in action

"This should rapidly cull stupidity from the genepool."

Only if the driver has their kids with them. ;)

7. Jim Carter
    Badgers

@ EddieD

Can this so-called "fire" be fitted nasally?

8. mmiied

look at te site

and look at some of the customer images

9. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

The real genius

is in the Customer Pictures at the top :)

10. Richard 39

all well and good..

when driving in a straight line but what about these danged things call roundabouts in England. From the look of it a sharp turn in either direction will cause said supported item to slip off the wheel mount.

11. Chris Miller

@Richard 39

True, but this is intended for the US market where it's perfectly possible to drive from LA to NYC without deviating the wheel more than a couple of degrees from the straight ahead position.

12. Sillyfellow
    Badgers

and another great review. hehe.

By Jamie O'Shaughnessy

There is one problem though. In several accidents that I have had whilst using this, the airbag causes the laptop screen to slam shut. I've suffered several broken fingers because of this. I have started to look around for airbag finger protection but have not yet found any...

http://www.amazon.com/review/RGPRDW6DCVCV4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt/175-1581521-2489356#RGPRDW6DCVCV4

13. EddieD
    Coat

@Jim Carter

Well, obviously this is one of the things we'll have to research - do people want fire to stick up their nose?

14. Alan 32

Forever Jung!

Beautiful, just beautiful.

15. Eric Graves
    Pirate

Need one for my jet

Do they make one of these for aircraft control columns? I need somewhere to put my laptop while flying. Oh, hang on, I think I hear center calling me on guard.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what about Ping?

http://www.amazon.com/Story-about-Reading-Railroad-Books/dp/0448421658

Now I can read and drive!

17. Alex Osmond
    Jobs Horns

Is there a connection?

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought....

Apple iPod cable

18. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Jim Carter

I think the fire goes in the other end.

Flames...because

19. cherkoguy
    FAIL

Steering wheel desk

After looking at the picture of this thing at Amazon, I've determined that the picture has the steering wheel rotated 180 degrees in order to give the desk the necessary clearance to mount (airbag at the bottom of the steering wheel is the normal position of the steering wheel.) This means that anyone using the desk must be going around in big circles, so this is obviously only useful in roundabouts.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Poetry

The poetry of these reviews cannot beat that of the Amazon-dwelling fans of the oeuvre of David Hasselhoff. I quote a paean of praise of the 'Very best of ..."

"I came across this record at a time in my life when things weren't going well. My wife had just left me for a contortionist, my kids were all at boarding school and the dog seemed to have a lingering contempt for me that grew more and more vitriolic as the days passed. Then, like Moses into the parted Red Sea, David Hasselhoff stepped into my life and convinced me that things weren't as bad as they seemed...."

And now I'll turn myself in to Lord Mandy-Rice Davis for breach of copyright

21. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Modern vehicles

If I'm not mistaken I think that's the (upside down) steering wheel from a Citroen Xantia.

Not sure what relevance that has to the article really, just wanted to look clever :-\

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

A mate of mine was bemoaning the lack of such a device several years ago. However after we thought about it more it was clear than in the event of an airbag deployment (collision caused by other vehicle) you would end up wearing your laptop in your face or have your fingers amputated. I would never site such an item in front of the airbag, nor for that reason do I cross my arms when steering, to avoid putting my arm between my face and the explosive device aimed at it.

23. Michael Kean
    Happy

Only for Big Cars

In my '86 Bluebird, even with the chair as far back as it'll go, there's not enough space to fit a laptop in front of the steering wheel. Before rushing out to buy one of these (or making your own with a jig saw and an old chopping board) first check that

a) Your chair goes back far enough

b) Your laptop fits between you and the wheel

c) You are not pregnant.

24. Reverend Brown
    Go

wat.

My only compaint... are the peoples who did not post amusing captions to their disaster photos on amazon. Forcing me to make up my own... for shame!

25. Dave 38
    Alert

Pictures..no..words....should have sent a poet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B002HJ377A/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

26. Sarah Davis
    Joke

darwin here i come!

famtastic, now i can use this to support my laptops 30" external monitor and watch movies at a decent size while driving the 90 minute journey home

now i'm going to drive to Darwin - hence the title

27. Richard Jukes
    Happy

PARTY ON!

Im ordering one. At last, the perfect skinning up tray. FTW!

28. Jacob Reid
    Paris Hilton

One problem I can see...

When you turn, wouldn't everything slide off it?

29. Wize

It does warn 'not to be used when driving' but...

...they should extend it to not turning the wheel as someone will and sue for the coffee burn.

30. Unprofessional Type
    Megaphone

@Registard

Only if they've had kids already - sheesh, if you're going to criticize, please do it proper like.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like