back to article Santa menaced by sex offender postie

The US Postal Service has pulled the plug on a Santa Claus letter service which has run since 1954. Thousands of letters sent by children around the world to "Santa Claus, North Pole" were opened by volunteers and replies written and sent. Envelopes were returned with a North Pole postmark. [The North Pole in question is in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

lol

LOL well I this has brightened kids Christmas, good going over reacting peons!

Chances of predatory paedophile finding an address and deciding mmmm this child sounds delicious I shall go and rape. Very close to zero.

vs

Making a child happy upon receiving a message from Santa. Very close to 100%

Well, obviously they picked the correct option!

2. irishcritcofstuff
    Thumb Down

Pathetic...

This just shows how sad our world is becoming

3. rincewind
    WTF?

The future

Soon school registers will have childrens names in code for the fear of pervs.

4. seanj
    FAIL

If it gives the impression of saving just one child...

It'll be worth destroying the childhoods of every other wide-eyed kid that writes to Santa each year.

Nice going, fucktards.

5. Nomen Publicus
    Stop

Sad jobsworths

So it was impossible for the letters to be double checked before being sent out?

6. Chris 258
    FAIL

Sad..

This is just so sad, and so now aswell as not being able to go and see Santa you can't send him a letter, which is the most magical thing about Christmas in my opinion - getting that letter back from actual Santa.

The comment 'in different times' - yup we live in paranoid times where nobody is to be trusted as we now cannot write and receive a letter from someone we will never meet.

7. Law
    Paris Hilton

on the other hand....

... parents not willing to take the risk could just tell their kids they will post it for them and do the reply themselves... those willing to accept the minute chance of have little johnny fiddled with, use the non-anonymous service that has been provided since the 1950's.

And the guy quoted saying "we live in different times"... no, we really don't, you just think you do - pedo's arn't a creation of the 00's, they were here long before then, as was privacy intrusion, the difference is that the people who ran it and those who used it, were all willing to give out or use this information to perpetuate a lie for the kids. Don't blame the times just because you're scared of being bum-raped by lawyers! :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I've always had my doubts about Santa

He creeps down the chimney and, presumably because he only comes once a year, he fills your stocking. I'm grabbing my coat and heading on down to child services

9. James 55
    Thumb Down

Fucking Unbelieveable

The fucking self righteous twats, one sex offender closes it down? He was stopped from working! No need to do all that bollocks.

It doesn't even say he was a paedophile, he was probably just caught pissing in public.

10. GumboKing
    Happy

The North Pole is not in Alaska!

You can still send your letter to Santa at his real address:

Santa Claus

North Pole

Canada

H0H 0H0

Not sure if his Canada Post elves will respond to letters from foreigners.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

rofl

oh noes! a child's address has been compromised! ... .... .... could one just not ... walk down a street, find a house with a christmas tree "santa please stop here" sign and have about 75% (taking grandparents into account, who inevitably have to play along and do this) chance of a child living in the house. the more effort put into the display the younger the child.

Knowing what the child wants and address gains no favours for the peado, every child will evidently want a pony/playstation/most-over-marketed-sex-appropriate-toy-on-tv.

12. Will.
    Dead Vulture

Misleading Article

"The US Postal Service has pulled the plug on a Santa Claus letter service which has run since 1954."

not the same as

"So the Operation Santa Program will still work, but those letters with the North Pole mark won't be handled by volunteers in the town."

but of course all the previous commenters read only the first two paragraphs and go straight to bitching and moaning about how our liberties are being infringed and Christmas is ruined forever. The only actual difference is that one town has decided that their postal workers can't keep up with the concept of a reference to an address being replaced with an address. Not newsworthy and certainly not worth reacting like a Faily Express reader about it.

13. Trev 2

Presumably pedo's didn't exist in 1950s?

This presumably means by admitting the tiny chance that someone might get hold of the address, they're opening themselves to massive law suits (this being America) from all the parents and kids who wrote to Santa throughout the last 50 years....just in case one or two of those were opened by rather dodgy characters in an American backwater town.

Also sounds like this system blocks the address being known, but doesn't check the content of the letter? Erm, aren't we always being told to check what our kids read and who they talk to in case they get enticed to contact strangers?

As for why they're all panicing about it - this is Alaska, home of Sarah Palin who makes George Bush and co. look fairly un-paranoid.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

R.I.P. Christmas 0 B.C.-2009 B.C.

Alas St. Nick, we hardly knew ye.......

15. LaeMi Qian
    Troll

To quote Andy T Weir

Santa is, in a way, a religion. A faith-based "god" that is all-knowing and watches you. Culture after culture has come up with the same concept. "Be good, because a great and powerful being is watching you, even when no mortal is, and there will be a reckoning."

At a young age, you get told it was all a lie. Isn't that messed up? At age 6 or so, you discover that something you took to be true was not only a lie, but a carefully maintained conspiracy perpetrated upon you by the entire adult world. Millions are involved in the conspiracy, as are major corporations and the press.

And people wonder why the youth of America are cynical.

-Andy T Weir

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

‘Santa menaced by sex offender postie’

Surely you have to be CRB checked here before doing any voluntary work ... I'm suprised they don't do the same checks over in America!

I hope they did actually check the 'santa's elf' really was a paedo before cancelling the service!

17. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

No, the North Pole is in Somerset!

Actually the Royal Mail have given it a UK postcode.

Santa Claus

North Pole

SAN TA1

which according to google maps is near Taunton. Poor sod.

18. Dale Morgan
    Stop

Who cares?

I dont, maybe the day will come when we stop filling kids heads with nonsense

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here we go again...

Get a bloody life, people!!!!!

Santa --- 10/10

Politically-correct morons --- 0/10.

Just never -ending, isn't it?

20. Big-nosed Pengie
    FAIL

It was undoubtedly god's punishment

for putting the north pole in Alaska.

21. Dozer

@Who cares?

"I dont, maybe the day will come when we stop filling kids heads with nonsense"

Actually a friend was telling me about a study that suggested that teaching kids about Santa and other myths was actually good as leaning to lie is an important social tool!!

22. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Save Santa

If it instills a positive ethos and morality seperate from anything provided by any church then we should be all for it.

23. Sam Liddicott

Santa, a lie?

All parents and many aunts and uncles know the truth.

Santa is real - very real, and in fact precisely as real and easy to track down as Spartacus

These unbelievers who knock up straw-Santa's in order to be able to knock them down miss the point entirely.

There is Santa, I've seen him.

24. Annihilator
    Coat

re: rofl

"75% (taking grandparents into account, who inevitably have to play along and do this) chance of a child living in the house. the more effort put into the display the younger the child."

That's a pretty sick inverse proportion you've just suggested, but I applaud the mathematics. It's y=10/x where x is the effort from 1-10 giving y the age of the child.

25. Rob 5
    Coffee/keyboard

@ AC - doubts about Santa

Damn right! Plus, he's clearly a peeping tom who "sees you while you're sleeping".

He'll give you a present, though - if you're "nice" to him...

26. Law
    WTF?

spookily

My son recieved his first santa letter this week, I'm in the UK... the letter was addressed to him, and it didn't say who it had came from or where from - just Santa.

A quick google search, and it's turned out it was an NSPCC service... evidently it must have been a friend that gave our sons details to them for this free santa letter.. I think.

He's 7 months old... having I think I prefer the US child-opts-in version than the completely anonymous "we know you have a child, now try to figure out who we are and who else knew!" system the nspcc seem to be running! lol

Not being a daily mail reader - I'm sure my son is safe... for the minute.

This topic is closed for new posts.