back to article Domain auction house says top exec juiced bids

Snapnames - the net's largest domain name reseller - has told its customers that for the last four years, one of its own employees used a fake online identity to boost bidding on its online auctions. "Recently, SnapNames discovered that an employee had set up an account on the SnapNames system under a false name and, under …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well done.

It's nearly impossible to prevent bad things from happening, but they certainly did the right thing. Its nice to see a company act in a way that most people would consider moral behavior. Even if they only did it to avoid a potential lawsuit, it's far better than [unnamed] companies who say the equivalent of "Fsck you, we have more highly paid lawyers than you. We did nothing wrong, it was the fault of [x]. Sue us, we dare you."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having seen how they react when they have a problem

I would not hesitate to use them.

So many companies these days would say "we found out, sorry, won't happen again" and leave it at that - it is a pleasant change to see a company step up, take it on the chin and proactively go out there to fix the problem.

Sage, you have so much to learn ....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andy Shulmann 06.21

To a point I agree, and it is rare to see companies put their hands up like this, even if to avoid lawsuits and to make even further attention. If you like, this is just brushing it under the carpet, hopefully letting it die without a fuss, at minimal expense to them.

Better still, would have been to see a full refund of the price paid as well, in compensation, and a gesture of goodwill. However, most would be happy to see just the balance differed out, costing the company nothing. A lawsuit and the compensation demanded would be considerably higher than the recompense being offered on the otherhand and would considerably damage the income streams by more than the 1% gained.

I'm sory, the offer made is just trivialising the crime committed, unacceptable, IMHO.

4. Robert Wray

@Anonymous Coward 10:08

The offer made is just trivialising the crime? Really? (Full disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with Snapnames, nor have I ever used them - but I would be likely to now!)

Expecting a full refund of the price paid is a classic example of the "compensation culture" that is creeping its way round the globe. Sheesh.

5. Number6

@AC 10:08

You need to distinguish between the crime and restitution. If they make good the losses that people suffered then that's OK as compensation. The law enforcement people now need to step in, gather the evidence and nail the person who actually committed the crime.

The company suffered as well, damage to their reputation and a false picture of how well they were doing, Yes they are at fault for letting it happen, but on discovering their error they appear to be attempting to make good.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Robert Wray

Really, yep, see, the crime just been trivialised. OK, I agree, it's rare to see companies respond in this way, but that doesn't lessen the crime, when the damage has been done.

Sacking one man may absolve the company from the man, but not from his actions, bearing in mind this has been perpetrated since 2005, and the reality being, probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Shill bidding isn't a rarity, isn't only carried out by company employees, and isn't treated lightly elsewhere in the business community, except by those who gain, or have gained in the past.

Actually the compensation culture as put it, is in the UK enshrined in law, perhaps you may like to familiarise yourself with some conumer law, before spouting about compensation, as a full refund is actually one of the minimum requirements of that law.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like