back to article Asus CEO signals Q1 2010 smartbook launch

Asus will launch a netbook based on ARM chippery during Q1 2010, the company's CEO, Jerry Shen, promised this week. Details are thin on the ground - we hope to learn more at Asus' annual R&D shindig in Taipei next week - but Shen did say the price could be as low as TWD6000 (£112/$185/€125), according to a write-up by Chinese- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

May I the first...

....to welcome our sunkissed babe back (although I much prefered the other one, was she in a kitchen?)

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

It's not a netbook

Anyone else remember "redundant array of inexpensive disks" morphing into "redundant array of independent disks"? "Netbook" is the marketing term used in the hope that people will forget that the XO was a small CHEAP computer.

It is good to see the SCC is on its way back from near extinction. The big question is does it come with a Pixel Qi daylight readable LCD or an X86 emulator and Vista SP2.

3. Hermes Conran
    Happy

I call photoshoppery

This is the same pic with a new Netbook and camera photoshopped in!

(Nice though!)

4. H2Nick

She doesn't look a day older !

& I thought sun was ageing...

5. Geoff Mackenzie

@Hermes Conran

I can tell from some of the pixels ...

6. Bryn Evans
    Linux

The return of Risc OS ?

Just maybe this can be the portable computer that Risc OS (Acorn) fans have been waiting

(years) for?

Tux cos anything is better than windows. [Can we have an Acorn Icon please]

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

w000000t! She's back!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I dunno which is better, the news, or the picture!

More.. you must.

9. Another Anonymous Coward 1

Brilliant!

Finally, the return of the small cheap computer that is actually all 3 of those things.

Very glad to see ASUS returning to it's original eeePC concept.. I'm way more likely to pick up something under the £200 mark than one of the current batch of £300 netbooks that are crippled to 1gb of ram and 1024x600 by Wintel.

Linux should be great for a system like this. It'll be interesting to see the battery life now that those tiny mobile phone processors have breached the 1 ghz mark needed for a decent modern computing experience. If they also go with a snappy 16gb SSD as standard the overall performance could put a lot of bigger machines to shame.

10. Kasper Loopstra

Finally...

A friend of mine recently asked me what netbook to get, simply to read and annotate PDF's on the train. She wanted something small, light, and with an insane battery life. So, an EeePC 901. We couldn't find one in stock anywhere on the great internets.

I'd love to see the performance of this thing, especially on the battery front.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For your consideration

Eee girls...

http://www.moko.cc/html/event/20090824_1/index_1.jsp

12. Joe Burmeister

Oh give over with the RiscOS stuff

I use to love RiscOS, I really did. But I've moved on, and so has my requirements. Even if you gave it preemptive multitasking and virtual memory, it's still lacking. I want a ARM smartbook, but I will run Linux on it. Python is my BASIC now, InkScape my Draw, Gimp my Paint, and I have Guake for my F12 command line. I can mount filesystem (or things as filesystems) where ever I want them. Drive numbers are no better than drive letters. I'd rather have package management then application folders. If I want to run RiscOS to run my old stuff, RpcEmu does me.

13. criscros
    Thumb Up

wow

I really look forward to this! I looove ARM assembly, and I'd love a real ARM computer to hack on instead of phones and DSs. With a price point like that, I say.. sold!

Of course Android will get wiped and Ubuntu will be installed first thing.

And no, I'd rather stay away from those Acorns. Nostalgia aside, they still give me nightmares.

14. John 30
    Linux

Asus DS?

A DS for men, no candy pink DS's here, I want a Carl Zeiss 50 MP camera, Bang & Olafsson audio & an HD screen, goddammit. Seriously though, I'm sick, diddly, sick, sick of the current refererence design, something different would be nice, just so long as it has enough poke to surf the web properly.

Tux, cos we know that's what netbook makers always had in mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like