back to article Gizmodo says sorry for malware suckerpunch

Tech blog Gizmodo has been suckerpunched by cyber scoundrels, who placed malware-loaded web ads on the site. Gizmodo is the latest online publication to have been targeted by villainous hackers. The site coughed to the nasty scam and issued an apology today. “Guys, I'm really sorry but we had some malware running on our site …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Smith 1 Silver badge
    Happy

AdBlock

mmm, adblock, not only do you make the web easier on the eye, you also save me from malware :)

2. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

It seems to me

That adverts present the biggest risk for XSS attacks, particularly ones that are allowed to run scripts just to make them more intrusive (a la 'popovers' and 'pupups'). I see no problem with ads that are bog standard GIFs but anything else, especially flash is unnecessary. My recommendation to everyone would be to run FF with AdBlock and not see any of them anyway. problem is, if everyone did this, we'd have to find some new way of funding the internet. Then again, other than El Reg we probably wouldn't be missing much...

3. Conrad Longmore
    Troll

El Reg was here first

El Reg was here first:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/21/register_adserver_attack/

Sniping aside, there are a surprising number of bogus ad agencies out there. Increasing, people who buy and sell ad space are on the front line of security these days.. they just don't know it yet.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

responsible advertising?

We really need to rethink web advertising, currently I block everything and I will continue to do so until websites and advertisers get their act together. I would be happy for non-intrusive, static images which take up no more that 10% of a page and do not interrupt the flow of content. Anything more than that is unwanted. I suspect that the number of people blocking adverts will continue to grow until we see responsible advertising on the web.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like