back to article Mitsubishi preps 'versatile' plug-in hybrid e-car

Mitsubishi has announced details of the range-extended plug-in hybrid that Reg Hardware first got a sniff of back in July and which will be officially unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show next week . Called the PX-MiEV, the concept vehicle promises to have one of the most versatile hybrid drive trains yet developed. Mitsubishi PX …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adrian sietsma
    Thumb Up

Beer Fridge on wheels !

<quote>

In the event of PX-MiEV users finding themselves up the creek without a paddle, the vehicle's domestic charge plug doubles up as a power socket, allowing the battery and/or engine to be used as a power source.

</quote>

So I can go camping for the weekend and plug the fridge in while parked.

Brilliant !

2. Tim Greenwood

Sounds good

It all sounds pretty good, but I can't help feeling it also sounds pretty expensive.

I still worry about the increased damage these vahicles do to the environment compared to my old Land Rover. Which may struggle to get 30mpg but is currently just 15 years old and is likely to go on for a long time yet before being ultimately scrapped. When it is eventually scrapped I would guess that a decent chunk of it will be recycled as well, without releasing too many more toxic chemicals which might not be the same as the shorter lifetime hybrids with their dodgy cocktail of "interesting" materials.

3. Danny 14

Still pointless!

The amount of power you can physically safely drag from a power outlet is still not practical.

4. The First Dave
    Boffin

Size

So, this will have two large electric motors, a medium-sized petrol engine, a medium-sized battery, a petrol tank, a large alternator, all of the direct-drive hardware including gearbox, and maybe room for a passenger or two...

How much is this going to weigh, and what is the REAL mpg figure going to be? (ie not the one where the manufacturer assumes that it will be charged overnight from a solar-cell and only driven two miles per day.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Dave

'and only driven two miles per day'

But Chelsea is only 1 mile across, ergo there and back = 2 miles.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@The First Dave

Who said direct drive and gearbox?

sounds like a generator for an electric drive to me.

Quotes:

1)At higher speeds, the vehicle will run in front-wheel drive mode with power coming directly from the petrol engine.

2)The petrol engine produces 85kW (114bhp) and 125Nm (92lb ft) while the attached generator has a maximum output of 70kW.

3)allowing the battery and/or engine to be used as a power source.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Tim

'which might not be the same as the shorter lifetime hybrids with their dodgy cocktail of "interesting" materials.'

Interesting = Expensive therefore more likely to be recycled! surely?

shorter lifetime hybrids? would be interested to see your evidence for this. Current Prius (as example - only real long lifer hybrid on the road) are still working fine at well over 100,000 miles.. some oil cars dont make that! (cough protia/kons) infact because of the interesting materials, materials costs are higher meaning salvage costs are greater meaning after an accident they are less likely to be writeoff as its worth repairing! therefore actually has longer lifspan, over a standard cheap tin box.

8. ian 22
    WTF?

Excellent specifications

I would want a PX-MiEV from specifications alone, but why oh why couldn't it look a bit more like a Maserati or a Lamborghini?

Gull wing doors, please.

This topic is closed for new posts.