back to article Zero-day fixes star in biggest ever Patch Tuesday

Microsoft is preparing its biggest ever Patch Tuesday update for next week. The bumper batch of 13 bulletins collectively address 34 security flaws across a wide spectrum of Microsoft products. Eight of the baker's dozen bulletins earn the dread classification of critical, Microsoft's highest severity rating. Two of these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Oh, crap!

I haven't finished rolling out September's updates yet!!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well done !

Win 7 not even out yet but already needs patching. Ah, I quit, it's too easy.

On the other hand, the reactivity is great. Now Microsoft can finally claim that it patches its systems before the bugs can attack !

Feel dizzy now, going for a lie down.

3. Teoh Han Hui

Windows 7

Windows 7 RTM is already in many's hands: MSDN & TechNet subscribers etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Pascal Monett

Technically Windows 7 is out, just not to end users, it was released to Technet, MSDN and OEMs a while back so they could integrate it with their systems before the public release date.

Also, the Win7 patches seem to be for IE8, which is most certainly already released.

Not quite as easy as you think! ;)

5. Simon Buttress

@ Pascal

If you'll RTFA you'll see it's IE8 and not the OS Win7 that needs patching. Idiot.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Still coming out with fixes

The thing that gets me, is that MS has been security patching for years now...and for the old stuff too (XP/2003 etc) and we're still getting vulns? And critical ones at that? With their security/development pool, surely they should have bottomed this stuff out mere months after starting?

Or is windows such a bag spanners it's fundamentally unfixable? oh wait...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Woo-hoo... this is great news!

It means I can justify to my boss why, as long as the company I work for continues to use Windows and other MS products, I can't be fired.

That'll be my mortgage payments sorted for the next few years! :-)

8. Greg J Preece

@Pascal

"Win 7 not even out yet but already needs patching. Ah, I quit, it's too easy."

Be fair mate, the bug's in IE. I've got 70-odd updates a day on my Ubuntu pre-release system, some security, most still on development. So what?

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

As slow as an Idiot ... and just as Effective.

Don't Microsoft and Status Quo Establishment Systems of Operation not yet realise that there is no Patch for the Smart Zero-day Vulnerability/Hackers and Crack Coders Enlightened Path Opportunity?

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    Gates Horns

Anyone got 7 up right now?

Do us a favour. Run up their browser ballot thingy, ask for FF as the only browser and let it do its stuff.

Then hit the patches and see if it still offers the IE8 one......

Yes, this probably is unnecessarily malicious for a Friday afternoon, but I make no apologies.

11. Terry H
    Pint

Fanbois and Wankers all

>By Pascal Monett Posted Friday 9th October 2009 09:49 GMT

>

> Win 7 not even out yet but already needs patching. Ah, I quit, it's too easy.

>

> On the other hand, the reactivity is great. Now Microsoft can finally claim that it patches its >systems before the bugs can attack !

DUDE! I thought it was funny as hell. But you must admit you took a shot at the fanbois wet dream.

12. B3vil

@TeeCee

I don't believe the released RTM versions have the ballot thingy, at least my legally obtained version doesn't.

What's more amusing is the number of patches you need to place on the virtual XP machine if you use that, they ship with a plain (any thus highly vulnerable) SP3 disc, IE6, no patches.

It would be good if I could actually add text back to the taskbar, but otherwise it definitely feels like an improvement over Vista in terms of speed & stability, although I have encountered compatibility problems with some apps (mainly system tools such as defragment software)

13. ThinkingOutLoud
    Paris Hilton

In M$'s defence...

If they had to anticipate every possible attack variant, we'd still be waiting for 3.11FWG. Get enough people hitting the Big Guy, a punch will get through from time to time.

While I despise the way they behaved at times to get where they are, who else makes PC use easy for people who move their lips while they read? (In my neighbourhood they still point at airplanes)

As much as I admire OpenOffice, which I use on my works laptop, MS Office is sooo much easier to use.

Apple users may scoff but if Stevie J had licensed the OS, they'd be in the same position as M$. Besides, they're still bitter about not getting the best games...

Linux is getting much better but still needs you to stick your head under the bonnet (hood for US readers) and you're back to using OpenOffice again.

For all you say about Gates & Ballmer, what have you achieved so far? No, not even close...

Paris because, unlike G&B, she's become famous while doing F*ck-all.

14. Al Jones

@B3vil

"It would be good if I could actually add text back to the taskbar'

Right click on the task bar and select Properties. On the Taskbar tab, set the "Taskbar Buttons" drop down to "Combine when taskbar is full"

15. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

Credit given, where credit is due, is only fair. :-)

"For all you say about Gates & Ballmer, what have you achieved so far? No, not even close...

Paris because, unlike G&B, she's become famous while doing F*ck-all." .... By ThinkingOutLoud Posted Friday 9th October 2009 17:14 GMT

Haven't you yet realised, ThinkingOutLoud, that that is the new programming for achieving notoriety and fifteen cents worth of fame and flames. And whenever far better than just good and/or average and mediocre, does shared thinking out loud, facilitate and deliver the Full Monty of BroadBandCasting Spectrum for the Virtual Dominance of Present Communications with Future ProgramMING Projects .....aka Pogroms in ITs Troubled Fields with Pre-Eminent Doms and Right Quite Spooky Dons.

With particular and peculiar regard to "For all you say about Gates & Ballmer, what have you achieved so far? No, not even close..." ...... it is hard not conclude that that which G&B have achieved is proving to be the Gift of a Trojan Horse Catastrophic Engine to SMARTer Competition which can easily Crash Corrupt Socio-Economic Systems, and for that they are to be congratulated and feted. Without their sterling efforts would the range of indefensible attack portals be much less well developed and so many fewer in number.

And to deny it, and not imagine it to be so true, is to allow and therefore encourage the Crashing of Present Corrupted Socio-Economic Systems, by Virtue of what would be a New Classification of Security by Ignorant Default Support and Covert Supply of Digital Weaponry which Inserts Cloaked and Embedding Worms and Plague Viruses into Sub Optimus Prime Programs bred to Completely Disable and Destroy Rotten Core Drivers in Dodgy Operating Systems.

16. Steve in Hungary
    FAIL

MS Orifice

@ThinkingOutLoud

"MS Office is sooo much easier to use."

Is it bollox! How many wasted hours have I spent trying to make the spawn of the devil MS Office - particularly MS Worm - behave.

17. Paul 129
    WTF?

SAD

I hate MS with a passion. However this looks like a good thing. They actually seem to be putting out stuff to fix a wad of critical issues. Sure they never have been the best, it but surely you have to applaud the improvement.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Only one thing to say

Snow Leopard Bug.

I'm afraid that cock-up trumps anything anyone can rant about these patches.

;)

19. Forename Surname
    Thumb Down

Grr

I wish they'd actually impart some info though. I can't find anything that tells me how this affects SQL Server, for example.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like