back to article Pirate Bay buyer admits doubts over deal

GGF, the troubled Swedish firm aiming to buy BitTorrent tracker the Pirate Bay, has admitted the deal may be crocked. "At present, GGF cannot discern whether the acquisition will be completed regardless of the outcome of the trial," it said in a statement, referring to its ongoing travails in the bankruptcy courts. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stef 4

Seriously?

"GGF, the troubled Swedish firm aiming to buy BitTorrent tracker the Pirate Bay, has admitted the deal may be crocked."

Wow, I guess GFF were the last people to know this. Everyone else knew from day 1.

2. Tony Hoyle

The last two sentences sum up the whole thing perfectly..

"The firm had planned to take Pirate Bay legit by negotiating licensing for the hundreds of thousands of illegally-shared files it tracks.

A bankruptcy hearing is scheduled in November."

I can't decide if they really thought they could make money out of this or whether it was always a scheme designed to finish off piratebay.

3. Kevin 9
    Thumb Down

Good planning

Lets spend 8 million dollars and THEN see if it's worth anything....

Why would you buy something like that BEFORE you have rights negotiated?

4. jubtastic1

Re Tony Hoyle

"I can't decide if they really thought they could make money out of this or whether it was always a scheme designed to finish off piratebay."

It was clearly the latter, the only surprise in this story is that TPB were/are desperate enough to believe in this fairy tale.

5. James O'Brien
    FAIL

HERE YE HERE YE!!!

"GGF, the troubled Swedish firm aiming to buy BitTorrent tracker the Pirate Bay, has admitted the deal may be crocked."

The pope is catholic, bears DO shit in the woods and beer is good.

How is it that they didn't just say "Hey...we fucked up" from the get go?

6. Michael Shaw
    IT Angle

Monopoly money....

That explains why they were able to offer so much money for a dubious brand name. They never had the money in the first place!

On a serious note though, this "The Register" website is fantastic, i wonder if they would consider selling it to me for around £140m...

7. The First Dave
    Dead Vulture

Humour

"The firm had planned to take Pirate Bay legit by negotiating licensing for the hundreds of thousands of illegally-shared files it tracks."

I'm thinking that you forgot to add a smiley to that bit, or something. Yes, that is what GGF had _sais_ they planned to do, but it was such a ludicrous idea that no one seriously believed it, including whichever El Reg reporter did the honours the first time this was mentioned.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legal Piratebay

I didn't think the idea was too bad, I know I'm in the minority on this one...

I used the Pirate Bay for all kinds of things (surprisingly not much illegal downloading) and no way near as often as I once did but if they basically went through each torrent with each studio and production house they could possibly do it though I think it would be easier to start with a fresh site (The Pirate Bay isn't a good name for a legit site). They would have to quartene stuff though when newly updated whilst seeking approval and they would need to have a good method of payment to encourage seeding and use of the site (ie not stupid prices and no DRM).

The Pirate Bay has a horrid search engine and I doubt it would be too difficult to clone/make a better system, the problem comes with deals with the copyright and studios and also with the users.

9. Andus McCoatThen
    Pirate

Designed to kill TPB?

Arrrrr! Heave-to and prepare ta be boarded! Ye canna sink wot is unsinkable! And bring me more RUM!

The name of the server may change, but the story will continue. Witness the death of Napster and all that have come since... Has it truly stopped anything, or has instead, the Hydra grown 4 new heads for each one that is lopped off?

10. Misoriented
    WTF?

Who needs this "money" anyway?

Who says bankruptcy is difficult? It's simple, and I can show you how to do it in 5 easy steps!

"if they basically went through each torrent with each studio and production house they could possibly do"

Step 1: Work out a contract with every company in the world.

"The Pirate Bay isn't a good name for a legit site"

Step 2: Buy a website, but then get rid of it.

"The Pirate Bay has a horrid search engine"

Step 3: Dump all that software you bought, too.

"They would have to quartene stuff though when newly updated whilst seeking approval"

Step 4: Police all copyright infringement in the entire world.

"have a good method of payment to encourage seeding and use of the site"

Step 5: Charge people money for doing what they already do. Make sure you can beat their current price of "free".

I think I'll become a venture capitalist, just so I can tell people they're idiots. I wouldn't even need any money, since I'd never actually invest any of it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Short Selling.

Come on guys we all know this company was a fake.

Strange how a company suddenly appears from thin air claiming to be buying TPB for 7 Mil... Funny enough when the deal was announced their shares went through the roof.

Its like a classic pump and dump scam, spread good news about a company to raise the value of its shares then sell them all...

Just like your "Buy St0ck" spam. Then their shares were halted for bad trading and lack of funding existing for the deal.

Still funny stuff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like